Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Looking for improvements for next season from off seasoning conditionin . Some of these kids need to add some more muscle . Plus they have a better idea of what is in store for them...should feel more relaxed....at least some of them . I could see another 10-15 more points tacked on if things went well and we get a good return on CK . Maybe Andersson can come back and hold down a job and contribute ....has not been all bad so far this year . We have many good things going on .

Reactions: wafflepadsave

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
DeAngelo, Howden, Buchnevich for Cozens 1st and prospect. Cozens to me will be the best player in that deal but the sabres need to start winning now

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
No one is "so quick" to trade ADA. He is tremendously talented but is also the loosest cannon on the right side. If we can land a 23 year old Ryan Johansen for him by the end of next season, then we are one of the few teams that A) has a piece valuable enough to start that conversation, and B) can withstand the loss of said player due to organizational depth.

If there is no slam dunk 23yo 65-point Center available for such a piece, then fine...we don't move ADA. The only downside to holding on to him beyond the expansion draft is that Seattle gets to choose between Hajek and Lindgren. Pretty small downside, though I prefer to keep Lindgren and expose Hajek. If we hypothetically capitalize on ADA's value and add a very good young C fixture, then WE get to choose which D to protect/expose.

Whichever permutation occurs, we are in really good shape post-expansion.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
No one is "so quick" to trade ADA. He is tremendously talented but is also the loosest cannon on the right side. If we can land a 23 year old Ryan Johansen for him by the end of next season, then we are one of the few teams that A) has a piece valuable enough to start that conversation, and B) can withstand the loss of said player due to organizational depth.

If there is no slam dunk 23yo 65-point Center available for such a piece, then fine...we don't move ADA. The only downside to holding on to him beyond the expansion draft is that Seattle gets to choose between Hajek and Lindgren. Pretty small downside, though I prefer to keep Lindgren and expose Hajek. If we hypothetically capitalize on ADA's value and add a very good young C fixture, then WE get to choose which D to protect/expose.

It would need to be someone with a pretty high skill level to consider moving someone like ADA. I'd consider someone like William Nylander.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm just confused as to why people are so quick to trade ADA. His value is only going to go up and haven't we been looking for a righty dman for years who can put points up? Love the kid, love his tenacity, and seems to be a great teammate. The dude also makes plays happen. If we can find the right partner for his left side, we are in for a real treat for the next few years with that pairing

Im just confused why any poster would think anyone is “so quick” to move DeAngelo.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
DeAngelo, Howden, Buchnevich for Cozens 1st and prospect. Cozens to me will be the best player in that deal but the sabres need to start winning now
Yeah, you would think buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, and Arizona need to start producing. Don’t know if any of those contestants would make a trade like that but will be interesting to watch.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Fox drives the offense just as much as he does and he’s a rookie. Lundkvist projects to be a superior player than D’Angelo.
We know that this is pi$$ing in the wind, but I do not suppose you can produce anything that will back up your assertion?

If DeAngelo is 20 goals and 60 points, I doubt there is anything that lists such projections for Lundkvist

Reactions: pld459666 and Kupo

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There is an excellent possibility that both stay.

I have two concerns about this

1) Very few teams have their top 3 D all playing on the same side of the ice. We'd need to teach Fox or ADA the left.

2) Our defense as currently composed is not defending well, objectively. SO the idea of giving huge salary bumps to guys we already have- when it clearly isn't working- seems like going in the wrong direction to me.

#2 is alleviated somewhat if we think that a) The struggles of our defense having nothing to do with Trouba/ADA and are entirely a function of the system/forward support/ left side or b) We assume that they will improve with time- but I think ADA and Trouba are pretty much done developing.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Currently my deadline trade bait is
Kreider, Buchnevich, DeAngelo (if he isnt signed by then to a team friendly deal), ofcourse Staal and Smith as well but not happening.

Buchnevich is getting some points but I'm not a fan of his game anymore as I feel he is mentally fragile and when things arent going well it snowballs.
Kreider to me is someone I'd like to have for 3 more years but he would be dumb to not look for a 6 year deal so I dont see a deal here
DeAngelo is a great player but our top 2 right d spots are taken already, the 3rd spot can be filled in with Lundqvist or Keane for a lot cheaper price. If DeAngelo wants a team friendly deal I'd love to keep him but with him not getting much of a deal this summer I doubt he is gonna take a discount and i dont blame him for that.

Out of all of those guys I'd like to find a Lw, rw, a 1st rounder atleast. I think our center position is sorting itself out already and hopefully Anderson takes a step next year, Strome can always play center if not.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well mostly because I've been reading on this forum about it for weeks/months. Many posters want to move Tony D because of the potential of a long jam

With me it's more the cost to keep him vs an entry level player like Keane or Lundqvist. He is a great offensive dman but he will never be slotted ahead of Trouba and Fox and will be trying to get paid like he is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well mostly because I've been reading on this forum about it for weeks/months. Many posters want to move Tony D because of the potential of a long jam

The vast majority of posters who “want” (not an accurate description) to move DeAngelo aren’t talking about doing it quickly. They’re talking a couple of years down the road, at least.

You’ve been reading about it for months, but haven’t really understood what you’ve been reading if you think this conversation is about today. There are the occasional posters who talk about at the deadline or this summer, like one shortly before this one, but overall really this conversation hasn’t been about that soon.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

It would need to be someone with a pretty high skill level to consider moving someone like ADA. I'd consider someone like William Nylander.
Is either of these realistic?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
My trade bait would be Kreider & Strome. Buchnevich & DeAngelo I would argue are our 3rd best forward & very best defenseman. Would be ridiculous to trade either. Keep Trouba as a stopgap until Lundkvist and then move him if we move anybody, but I don’t see anything wrong with being stacked at the most difficult position to find in the sport. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving Lundkvist, people already penciling him in as guaranteed better than ADA are out to lunch. Watch some of Lundkvist’s shift by shifts, I think he’s insanely overrated. He passes to literally nobody half the time, like just throws the puck into open ice and the other team picks it up. He’s weak as hell too.

Reactions: Blurt Vision

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is either of these realistic?

Let's just look at the stats for Nylander:

2018-2019
27 points in 54 games played

2019-2020
23 points in 32 games played

Now let's look at DeAngelo:

2018-2019
30 points n 61 games played

2019-2020
21 points in 30 games played

DeAngelo plays RD. Nylander plays RW. RD's are valued MORE than RW's. DeAngelo is 24. Nylander is 23.

I'm not saying him specifically, all I'm saying is it better be someone like him

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Trouba did play LD a bit in Winnipeg. My thing is what are the alternatives ? Move one of these guys so we can have Hajek play over one our ultra talented RHD? I'll gladly take the challenges of them being on their offhand versus having Hajek playing... No disrespect to him. I wonder though, and I'm not sure it's realistic, but the challenges of being on their offhand versus overall talent what if we wind up seeing a D group of Trouba, Fox, TDA, Miller, Lundkvist and Keane?

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DeAngelo is a great player but our top 2 right d spots are taken already, the 3rd spot can be filled in with Lundqvist or Keane for a lot cheaper price. If DeAngelo wants a team friendly deal I'd love to keep him but with him not getting much of a deal this summer I doubt he is gonna take a discount and i dont blame him for that.
Who are they taken by? Trouba has one. Fox you hope can be a point producer like DeAngelo, but he is not as of yet. Again, if DeAngelo is going to be a 55-60 point player, do you know how rare that is?

He is not going to do a team friendly deal, but who cares? He CANNOT go anywhere. He is RFA, not UFA. I am pretty sure that between Gorton and JD, they can present enough market comps that will not pay him over the moon. Then see how the cap situation sorts itself out in a couple of years.

People are acting like DeAgelo is going to go sign a Trouba-like contract with a team.
With me it's more the cost to keep him vs an entry level player like Keane or Lundqvist. He is a great offensive dman but he will never be slotted ahead of Trouba and Fox and will be trying to get paid like he is.
We have no idea if Fox will ever be able to produce offensively like DeAngelo. We have no idea even if DeAngelo will continue to produce like DeAngelo. It is not like Fox's defensive game has been standout. What we do know is that we Lundqvist has not stepped a toe onto North American ice yet no one has any idea of what Keane is.

Why not deal with who is here and actually producing instead of who is not and hopefully will be producing? There is absolutely no rush for this. And after this year, they will have a few more years to figure it out.

Reactions: pld459666

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
My trade bait would be Kreider & Strome. Buchnevich & DeAngelo I would argue are our 3rd best forward & very best defenseman. Would be ridiculous to trade either. Keep Trouba as a stopgap until Lundkvist and then move him if we move anybody, but I don’t see anything wrong with being stacked at the most difficult position to find in the sport. I wouldn’t be opposed to moving Lundkvist, people already penciling him in as guaranteed better than ADA are out to lunch. Watch some of Lundkvist’s shift by shifts, I think he’s insanely overrated. He passes to literally nobody half the time, like just throws the puck into open ice and the other team picks it up. He’s weak as hell too.
That’s just what typical ranger players do. Odd that we draft for those deficiencies.:nod:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What log jam? There is no log jam. Lundqvist is NOT in North America. Keane is in Hartford and there is nothing in his play that suggests he will be better. Cap issues? Fox still has a few more years on his ECL while DeAngelo is only next year going to be coming into his RFA years. Where is the issue?

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Let's just look at the stats for Nylander:

2018-2019
27 points in 54 games played

2019-2020
23 points in 32 games played

Now let's look at DeAngelo:

2018-2019
30 points n 61 games played

2019-2020
21 points in 30 games played

DeAngelo plays RD. Nylander plays RW. RD's are valued MORE than RW's. DeAngelo is 24. Nylander is 23.

I'm not saying him specifically, all I'm saying is it better be someone like him

I would venture a guess that something along these lines will probably be the Rangers mindset.

This is a team that has depth pieces in the system and on the horizon. If they're moving someone like ADA, it's for someone they view as an impact player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad