Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Lias so far has been pretty meh, no rhyme or reason out there.

Lot of times he just skates around, he does stand out at all

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Listen, for a 7th overall pick, let the guy play up with Zibanejad and company. The Rangers are trying to get value out of Hayes and the others right now. Wait until next season or after the trade deadline where there will be way more opportunity for him to play.

His skating is a bit dated in comparison to majority of the other NHL players, that undoubtly needs a lot of work.

Things I like from Andersson as an example, during the Flyers game, when Andersson was hard on the forecheck and smoked the defender in the corner, took the puck and gift wrapped Boo’s first goal in a matter of seconds - it was instinctual. He is a solid player, but everyone needs to remain patient, including myself.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Send Andersson to work with Barb Underhill this summer and you'll see a breakout year from him next year.

His skating took a big stride this past offseason. The kid is a year and a half from his draft. People are expecting too much.

Kevin Hayes was at this point a decent college player. Not great. Kreider was also a decent college player. Not great.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Jagr
Gaborik
Nash
??? (Panerin)

We have a long line of VERY NICE PIECES and relying on ONE Elite player + Elite goalie, and expecting different results.

I suspect JG sees that trend too living in Sathers shadow for so long.

Possibly, he's looking to mold the team in his image (as he did in Boston before the owner ran out of patience) with as many hand picked young players as possible, see how they shake out in filling 18 positions and fill in where necessary, while in a few years time as kids mature, using picks and redundant assets at that point to attain Elite players to fill roles and holes in the line-up.

I mean. That's the way I would run a full tear down and learn from my predecessors' mistakes and almost accomplishments.

Given the way this team has always been run. The way the Knicks have always been run. I don't take "The Letter" as a fickle document. It was more of an edict. They would not have published something like that half-heartedly, they have Larry Brooks for throwing-shade.

We shall see. So far, he's stayed true. Captainkirk was a bargain and Smith earned what he got.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
So many posters so sure what’s the right move is with Hayes. I recon it’s even more difficult decision for Gorton than it was to go ahead with trading Stepan or even McD. Don’t need to write it up the projected lineup with Hayes (and Panarin) but it should have a strong top9 if guys like Chytil, Kravtsov, Howden and Andersson pan out and push players like Vesey and Fast to a forth line. The issue for this incarnation of the Rangers is on defense and in goal until Shesterkin is more than just a (very good) project.

Reactions: NY Lito

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hayes this year looks exactly the same as he has the past couple of years. More ice time/more offensive role = better counting stats

Reactions: Ola

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I do miss having star offensive talent. We haven't had a 70 point scorer since Gaborik in 2012.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
*Hayes having the season of his life*

Nerds: mehhhhh don’t expect much for him at the deadline lololol
To be fair, he's been a middle-six tweener all his career until March. A first from a contender, good but not elite prospect, top-six D or 2nd-3rd line 40-plus point guy is likely what he'd get.

One thing I can say for sure, is that he WILL NOT get a top-3 pick plus. Not a top-3 straight up. He MIGHT get like 10-12 straight up if he's on pace for 70+ points.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hayes this year looks exactly the same as he has the past couple of years. More ice time/more offensive role = better counting stats

I agree. I think Hayes has been underrated a long time. He has done really well, performed despite tough roles. I don’t quite get the contract year talk.

Scoring is always very up and down. Just take any long term NHLer and look at their career stats, it’s up and down a lot from year to year. Sure Hayes can score a lot this year and then less next year. But I don’t get the talk that he wouldn’t be worth investing in. Gorts probably laid a pretty big egg not reupping Hayes on a long term deal last summer. Even if the right path is to trade him — he would have been more valuable.

I am also getting pretty tired of the ‘how could Gorts possibly know’ X or Y or whatever. Like you say — it’s hardly a big surprise. And it’s Gorts job to know. You and me and everyone else should be baffled at how Gorts could call stuff and make the right calls always. One thing is extremely sure, we are never even remotely winning a cup without a GM that ace these type of calls.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and SA16

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Things I like from Andersson as an example, during the Flyers game, when Andersson was hard on the forecheck and smoked the defender in the corner, took the puck and gift wrapped Boo’s first goal in a matter of seconds - it was instinctual. He is a solid player, but everyone needs to remain patient, including myself.
I absolutely loved that play. That was extremely badass. ‘Get outta my...wayyy”. And it wasn’t dirty or overaggressive. The guy knows his strength and just eliminated the backchecker. And great awareness of Boo in front of the net. Hope that’s a hint of things to come. Bully ball.

Reactions: Rongomania

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't understand the comments that Hayes' return should have low expectations. If JG gets an offer that he sees as sufficient then that means that return is sufficient. We know JG is no Chiarelli when it comes to selling players. There is no reason to act like Hayes is worthless, he is a bonafide 2C who seems to be having a breakout year, why the f*** would he not return a 1st plus a good prospect and maybe another pick. Or on top of that we can get a better return if the team resigns him and we help them make room for that by taking a contract. If Colorado has a bad contract, AND Hayes would resign there, I dont see why JG wouldnt ask for Makar.

Gorton saw the McDonagh return as sufficient enough to make the trade and it was a non-stop bitch-fest around here for months. Everyone was so sure that Sergachev or Point was coming back. Convincing themselves of that allowed them to believe the Gorton didn't do well on the trade even though he got pretty much exactly what a number of us pegged as market value.

A 1st, prospect, and a conditional pick is likely the fair market value for Hayes. The strength of the prospect and the conditional pick are what will likely vary between teams. Things might change if a team wants to send a contract back a la the Nash deal, or if a team wants to negotiate with Hayes before the trade is made and they can get a deal worked out. Either way though, I don't think there's any chance that Makar is ever really discussed.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gorton saw the McDonagh return as sufficient enough to make the trade and it was a non-stop *****-fest around here for months. Everyone was so sure that Sergachev or Point was coming back. Convincing themselves of that allowed them to believe the Gorton didn't do well on the trade even though he got pretty much exactly what a number of us pegged as market value.

A 1st, prospect, and a conditional pick is likely the fair market value for Hayes. The strength of the prospect and the conditional pick are what will likely vary between teams. Things might change if a team wants to send a contract back a la the Nash deal, or if a team wants to negotiate with Hayes before the trade is made and they can get a deal worked out. Either way though, I don't think there's any chance that Makar is ever really discussed.

It’s really amazing how often the level-headed posters get ignored with this stuff.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’m open-minded on Lias, but I am very unimpressed with him thus far. I did not expect a finished product -but for the hype, I expected something very different. Honest, sorry.

As for Hayes, I maintain the notion that he won’t age well, but man does he play with heart. He’s a guy you win with. I want him here, but not for the term discussed.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I’m open-minded on Lias, but I am very unimpressed with him thus far. I did not expect a finished product -but for the hype, I expected something very different. Honest, sorry.

As for Hayes, I maintain the notion that he won’t age well, but man does he play with heart. He’s a guy you win with. I want him here, but not for the term discussed.
Just curious, what did you expect from Lias?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton saw the McDonagh return as sufficient enough to make the trade and it was a non-stop *****-fest around here for months. Everyone was so sure that Sergachev or Point was coming back. Convincing themselves of that allowed them to believe the Gorton didn't do well on the trade even though he got pretty much exactly what a number of us pegged as market value.

From my POV the problem is that there is no market. To get a great return you must get a bidding war or have options (do nothing/wait).

Stepan returned what he returned since you had a GM really wanting a center. McD never built up the same demand from a GM. The Miller/Names part was probably just bad pro scouting.

Teams will take notice of Hayes play right now. With that said — you must be a little lucky and find a couple of GMs really wanting that center bad and being desperate about it. If you don’t, then Gorts will get a late 1st and a B tier prospect.

Reactions: bernmeister

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Just curious, what did you expect from Lias?

I didn’t expect a stereotypical Swede (the medal tossing antics ended that)...I did expect better size. better skater. better puck skills. better finisher.

He may become a very solid player, but I expected a more high-end ceiling. I don’t see it.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I didn’t expect a stereotypical Swede (the medal tossing antics ended that)...I did expect better size. better skater. better puck skills. better finisher.

He may become a very solid player, but I expected a more high-end ceiling. I don’t see it.

What you describe is a finished product whereas earlier you said you didn't expect him to be a finished product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia