Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
As for the question why did they trade Stepan only to sign Shattenkirk, isn't there an obvious answer there?

They wanted to take a shot at staying competitive while still adding young pieces to their system. Not every trade of a veteran needs to be followed with the trade of every other veteran.

Reactions: Avery16

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
As for the question why did they trade Stepan only to sign Shattenkirk, isn't there an obvious answer there?

They wanted to take a shot at staying competitive while still adding young pieces to their system. Not every trade of a veteran needs to be followed with the trade of every other veteran.
We need less youth but also fewer vets imo

Reactions: Thirty One

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
“Zuccarello is an interesting one. I could see Nashville liking a guy like Zuccarello. He fits kind of with what I think they would do. But if you told me that Zuccarello signed an extension to stay, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Obviously he's not as privileged as to up close information on Zucc.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He suggests we're all in on panarin....I just don't see it unless we win the jack Hughes lottery ball....that changes everything...otherwise....I don't see it.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
“Zuccarello is an interesting one. I could see Nashville liking a guy like Zuccarello. He fits kind of with what I think they would do. But if you told me that Zuccarello signed an extension to stay, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

Obviously he's not as privileged as to up close information on Zucc.

So you know more than him perhaps? An extension is still an option you know, I don't think this has been decided yet..

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
On Panarin yes we’re rebuilding but I don’t buy for a second we want a log rebuild. I think they want to make the playoffs next year. I do. Bottom out as best as possible this year but next year they want back in the game.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He suggests we're all in on panarin....I just don't see it unless we win the jack Hughes lottery ball....that changes everything...otherwise....I don't see it.

I do.

It makes even more sense if they land another top guy like Hughes as you mentioned.

This was never going to be a 5 year process. At most it was going to be 3 and they may even do an about face if they ever played well enough to stay in it this season.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I do.

It makes even more sense if they land another top guy like Hughes as you mentioned.

This was never going to be a 5 year process. At most it was going to be 3 and they may even do an about face if they ever played well enough to stay in it this season.
You had me until the last sentence. I think they're fully committed to a rebuild through the end of this year.

I also think pursuing Panarin is about not about competing next year, but in 2020-2021 and beyond.

Reactions: jas

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You had me until the last sentence. I think they're fully committed to a rebuild through the end of this year.

I also think pursuing Panarin is about not about competing next year, but in 2020-2021 and beyond.

I think they are prepared to suck this year but remember selling last year wasn't plan A.

Perhaps it is now but I have my doubts that they can resist the temptation if they're even close.

Fortunately, that shouldn't be a problem.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I dunno...honestly I think they need 1 more really bad season after this and then they should be ready and out of their bad contracts.

the timing is not great. its most likely too soon to make that move. but the problem is that a guy like that and that age isn't available for just $$ every year. the following summer probably works better but what are the odds that you can land a similar guy then and then you are back to hoping you find elite talent in the draft alone.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
On Panarin yes we’re rebuilding but I don’t buy for a second we want a log rebuild. I think they want to make the playoffs next year. I do. Bottom out as best as possible this year but next year they want back in the game.

They may want to make the playoffs next year, but as long as the defense consists of the current cast of characters, that’s a futile goal.

Reactions: Off Sides and Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
For me Panarin isn't really an issue of timing, but simply the fact that you never get a full return on UFA contracts. You're paying a guy more than he's worth immediately and he's almost certain to never out perform his contract. Until this team has a number of guys who are out performing their contracts I'd rather stay out of the high-end of the UFA market.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
For me Panarin isn't really an issue of timing, but simply the fact that you never get a full return on UFA contracts. You're paying a guy more than he's worth immediately and he's almost certain to never out perform his contract. Until this team has a number of guys who are out performing their contracts I'd rather stay out of the high-end of the UFA market.

well that timing issue i think comes down to wasting the first year or 2 of his deal cause the team isn't ready and typically the end years aren't great on a long term deal

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Don’t know how to feel about some of that. I’m glad we don’t seem inclined to overpay Hayes. Definitely don’t think re-signing Zucc should even be a consideration. Being “all in” on Panarin, eh. Panarin is great but I’ve got FA fatique. I guess that’s a bad reason to be “meh” on it, but whatever.

Basically I’m questioning our direction right now. Like are we just done rebuilding? I feel like we need two more drafts like 2018 before we start loading up in free agency.

Reactions: Off Sides and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad