Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
And on a more serious note...I checked in with my Carolina contact today. He told me that a) Hurricanes confident they have a good relationship with Fox and can sign him, b) no interest in trading for a center, c) looking furiously for a scoring winger. He asked me if I thought the Rangers might move Kreider. I said dunno. More in a few days when I see him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I dunno...honestly I think they need 1 more really bad season after this and then they should be ready and out of their bad contracts.
I don’t think signing Panarin necessarily means they won’t still be bad next season, this team needs a whole lot more than a scoring winger

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Don’t know how to feel about some of that. I’m glad we don’t seem inclined to overpay Hayes. Definitely don’t think re-signing Zucc should even be a consideration. Being “all in” on Panarin, eh. Panarin is great but I’ve got FA fatique. I guess that’s a bad reason to be “meh” on it, but whatever.

Basically I’m questioning our direction right now. Like are we just done rebuilding? I feel like we need two more drafts like 2018 before we start loading up in free agency.

I think we need this next one for sure and a top line/top pair near immediate impact player to come out of it.

We may have walked out of last years draft with 2 of those kinds of guys if we're lucky (hell, 3 if Keane takes another massive leap forward.) If you can get 3 top level guys out of 2 drafts you've done fantastic.

Add Panarin to that and you're pretty good, especially since the supporting pieces are already here, and we've got some great ones (Zib, Kreider, Fast when he's correctly slotted.)

Side note: I'm jumping on the @Edge train (not his trade status, I say move him as if he is Zuccarello) and warming up to the idea of Byram if we're in a position to select him.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
well that timing issue i think comes down to wasting the first year or 2 of his deal cause the team isn't ready and typically the end years aren't great on a long term deal

The timing is definitely an issue. What I meant to say is that it's not the issue in my eyes. Plus it's hard to peg the timeline of the rebuild when you're not even a year into it. If by some miracle this team lands Hughes that drastically alters the timeline compared to having to "settle" for a Turcotte, Zegras, or Podkolzin. Even if that happens, however, the defense is still a shit show and would need a special kind of move to really bring it up to snuff.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was at work and I come out to all this hype about me.

@jas the moss I gather from the San Jose camp is that they're in cap hell and if they do anything, it'll be cheap depth.

In my time following them, I've found that they're always linked to this and that and most of it turns out to not be true. Their name just constantly floats out there because they're always a competitive team.

I wouldn't rule out a rental to SJ, but Wilson would be going into negotiations knowing he's not keeping the guy, which may hurt the competitiveness of his offer. They made their huge move in the summer.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Don’t know how to feel about some of that. I’m glad we don’t seem inclined to overpay Hayes. Definitely don’t think re-signing Zucc should even be a consideration. Being “all in” on Panarin, eh. Panarin is great but I’ve got FA fatique. I guess that’s a bad reason to be “meh” on it, but whatever.

Basically I’m questioning our direction right now. Like are we just done rebuilding? I feel like we need two more drafts like 2018 before we start loading up in free agency.

I don’t think the hockey media has yet to grasp what the Rangers are doing. And I think that confusion filters into the fanbase. I’m going to sound arrogant here, but, I don’t think the average Ranger fan goes over these moves in the manner a lot of us do here. Only you and @Amazing Kreiderman could walk around on draft day understanding why Kravtsov was an excellent pick. A lot of Ranger fans wanted to use up the new cap space by pursuing Tavares. Even the hockey observers on NHLNetworkRadio thought for sure Gorton would go after Karlsson.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I don’t think the hockey media has yet to grasp what the Rangers are doing.
I think you may be right. Thinking about it, Friedman hasn’t really been on any Rangers stories. McKenzie is the guy whose been on the money for us.

Could just be a case of bad indo from Friedman.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think you may be right. Thinking about it, Friedman hasn’t really been on any Rangers stories. McKenzie is the guy whose been on the money for us.

Could just be a case of bad indo from Friedman.

Wasn't Freidman the first person to publicly say that the Rangers were selling last year?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
And on a more serious note...I checked in with my Carolina contact today. He told me that a) Hurricanes confident they have a good relationship with Fox and can sign him, b) no interest in trading for a center, c) looking furiously for a scoring winger. He asked me if I thought the Rangers might move Kreider. I said dunno. More in a few days when I see him.
Kreider is the one player that keeps lingering in the back of my mind. Is he more valuable to the franchise moving forward, and if not, what would he actually return in a trade?

If I had the choice, I’d keep him. He’s been a consummate professional and it can’t be overstated how much he impacts games for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad