Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII What will Santa Gorton bring us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Things I learned on the main board today:

Kevin Hayes is barely worth a late 1st.

Carl Soderberg is better than Kevin hayes

Boston really doesn't want Kevin Hayes (though this has more to do with how Jimmy played there, I can't really blame them)

Carl Soderberg can't hold Hayes jockstrap ( I know what you're referencing). I also can't blame Boston on Hayes. Probably not a good fit.

Would you guys do Hayes, Buch and Smith (50% retained) for Colorado's (OTT) 1st + 2nd rd pick if Hayes signs there?

I know people say this but I would literally do it, drive to NY, pick up Hayes and then shuttle his ass to Colorado for that deal. There is zero chance Colorado gives up the OTT first for anything short of Peitrangelo or Tarasenko (considering the Blues are looking at blowing things up). Hayes is Colorado 1st round pick material (with an add), not Ottawa 1st rounder material.

Reactions: NY Lito

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The Rangers want to rebuild and be good at the same time.

The same nonsense from 1997 when they Messier went to Vancouver. The Garden thought the Rangers could just continue to be competitive as long as they had Leetch, Richter and Graves. They would use their money to fill the holes.

The bottom fell out and they crashed for a long time.

They kept going back to the same playbook.

Insanity. Repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.
You didn't read anything I wrote.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Just Hayes without the Rangers adding and without any extension in place or worked out?

I am guessing

-A teams 2019 1st (late round)

-fourth or fifth favorite prospect (I am thinking something like a Howden, Hajek or Lindgren from last years deadline, maybe that is their 3rd favorite?)

-A conditional pick (perhaps a 2020 3rd or 4th that turns to a 2nd should that team sign/extend Hayes)(I'd like to make that a conditional 1st/2nd but I think that is pushing it)

-And something(s) that team does not really want for next season (Spooner for example)

Gives the Rangers another chance at another possible Miller/Chytil level prospect, plus some prospect they like who's ceiling is likely limited but useful none the less and could surprise, the conditional gets better if that team like Hayes and he likes them enough to extend, and maybe they can move the next Spooner for something that seems to fit better if whoever that is does not fit.

I don't love it, but it's similar to the Nash trade and it has some extras in there that could come around favorably.

Reactions: jas

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I think the next few years are going to be very interesting in terms how how teams are allocating their cap dollars. The good teams seem to be getting more and more top heavy in terms of how much they are paying each player. If your team is allocating most of your cap money to your top line and top D pairing, does that open up the opportunity for a team to run 4 real good balanced lines at you along with 3 good pairs of D with no great pair. Basically try to get your first two lines to play even with the top heavy teams and let your bottom pair and your 3rd and 4th lines feast on their matchup.

Just a thought, and curious to see a team try that approach instead of copying what has been done. Be a trendsetter. The NYR had it for a couple years and came pretty close to winning, just couldn't finish the job. Makes you wonder if that is what they are going for this time around, only with a little more talent throughout the lineup.

I remember discussing this last year when people had finally come to grips that Vegas was for real. Obviously you need elite talent, but this isn’t the NBA. Support players are vital in the NHL, especially the playoffs. It’s a long grueling season and rarely do 1 or even 2 line teams accomplish much.

I think we’re in the early stages of the evolution of this “depth strategy”, and those caught with top heavy cap allocations will find it’s a difficult problem to solve. If this forces the window for the dynasty style team to close earlier, it opens it up for others to find a new way in. We’re in a prime position to capitalize on this potential trend.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers will be playing the Yotes tomorrow who are playing the 3rd in 4th and on the tail of B2B's. Rangers will be playing their 3rd game in like 12 days.

Rangers have also yet to play a set of b2b's where their opponents weren't also doing the same.

Why couldn't we have had this kind of schedule when we were competing?

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Rangers will be playing the Yotes tomorrow who are playing the 3rd in 4th and on the tail of B2B's. Rangers will be playing their 3rd game in like 12 days.

Rangers have also yet to play a set of b2b's where their opponents were also doing the same.

Why couldn't we have had this kind of schedule when we were competing?
Turns out it’s the league who wants us in the dreaded middle :scared:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is why I’m against re-signing Hayes, and why I’m starting to get apprehensive about pursuing Panarin. The forward group will be very good, but the defense will be so far behind.
I do no think that this team will be able to afford Panarin at what he is likely to get full stop. And frankly, they are not at the point where they need to bring in a $10m forward.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
RB isn't wrong. I'm not sure where the 'pile on RB' sentiment has come from but the guy knows his shit and has been around for a long time adding serious value to these boards. Okay, so he has a different viewpoint than I, or others have, but this new game of attack RB has kind of run its course by now, no?

He wants this team to get out of the middle. I agree. Some of Gorton's decisions have been somewhat curious, namely Smith and Shattenkirk after trading Stepan. I get the feeling that some of that was not him but instead others within saying they could remain competitive and retool quickly. I thought he did a VERY good job at last years trade deadline. Guys like Spooner and Namestnikov were brought back for insulation and future trade chips. Hayes on a 1 year deal along with Zuccarello and a depth defenseman in McQuaid, all of whom should be moved this year.

I guess I like the approach of trying to accrue as many future assets as possible in lieu of just tanking and having crap pieces on the NHL roster (when no one would want them at the deadline as rentals). I am hopeful he will make the right decisions again with some selling in the next couple of months that will continue the course he started a couple of years ago.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
RB isn't wrong. I'm not sure where the 'pile on RB' sentiment has come from but the guy knows his **** and has been around for a long time adding serious value to these boards. Okay, so he has a different viewpoint than I, or others have, but this new game of attack RB has kind of run its course by now, no?

He wants this team to get out of the middle. I agree. Some of Gorton's decisions have been somewhat curious, namely Smith and Shattenkirk after trading Stepan. I get the feeling that some of that was not him but instead others within saying they could remain competitive and retool quickly. I thought he did a VERY good job at last years trade deadline. Guys like Spooner and Namestnikov were brought back for insulation and future trade chips. Hayes on a 1 year deal along with Zuccarello and a depth defenseman in McQuaid, all of whom should be moved this year.

I guess I like the approach of trying to accrue as many future assets as possible in lieu of just tanking and having crap pieces on the NHL roster (when no one would want them at the deadline as rentals). I am hopeful he will make the right decisions again with some selling in the next couple of months that will continue the course he started a couple of years ago.

He was complaining that they don't suck enough and then turned around and said that this is basically a bottom 5 team.

Which one is it?

This team blows. A half decent team would be at the top of the division and challenging for the conference with the schedule they've had. Instead they're out of a playoff and in a tie for 10th from the bottom.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Things I learned on the main board today:

Kevin Hayes is barely worth a late 1st.

Carl Soderberg is better than Kevin hayes

Boston really doesn't want Kevin Hayes (though this has more to do with how Jimmy played there, I can't really blame them)

I remember last year they thought Nash was worth a 2nd at best...

Reactions: Lion Hound

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If @Edge has that type of value at this stage of his career, that deal has to be considered.
@Edge is absolutely ELITE

You are not going to find anyone on the Peg board remotely close to what he brings.

You're hoping to find elite / generational... whatever you wanna label it by trading away that very asset. Foolish

Reactions: jas

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
RB isn't wrong. I'm not sure where the 'pile on RB' sentiment has come from but the guy knows his **** and has been around for a long time adding serious value to these boards. Okay, so he has a different viewpoint than I, or others have, but this new game of attack RB has kind of run its course by now, no?

Reading posts in a style reminiscent of Trump tweets has run its course.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

The problem is that he refuses see nuance and can’t have a discussion when people show him the flaws in his logic

Reactions: NY Lito
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad