Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII What will Santa Gorton bring us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The lineup they posted is weird, because yesterday, the fourth line was Names-Andersson-Strome, with Beleskey rotating.

Wonder what changed.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
With how expensive those 2nd contracts are becoming for your top players it is dramatically shortening the window of having cheap, elite players like Chicago, LA and have all had. Chicago hasn't won since Kane and Toews signed those mega deals. Once Kopitar got his big contract has LA won? Pittsburgh has the best or 2nd best player in the game locked into a contract that teams cannot offer to players now that is 4 million under market value now and continues for another half dozen years....

Toronto is going to have half of their cap tied up on Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Marner next year. I just have a hard time seeing how you can build a team around that. That's why I think it is going to get interesting....

This is why I’m against re-signing Hayes, and why I’m starting to get apprehensive about pursuing Panarin. The forward group will be very good, but the defense will be so far behind.

Reactions: Trxjw and Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the next few years are going to be very interesting in terms how how teams are allocating their cap dollars. The good teams seem to be getting more and more top heavy in terms of how much they are paying each player. If your team is allocating most of your cap money to your top line and top D pairing, does that open up the opportunity for a team to run 4 real good balanced lines at you along with 3 good pairs of D with no great pair. Basically try to get your first two lines to play even with the top heavy teams and let your bottom pair and your 3rd and 4th lines feast on their matchup.

Just a thought, and curious to see a team try that approach instead of copying what has been done. Be a trendsetter. The NYR had it for a couple years and came pretty close to winning, just couldn't finish the job. Makes you wonder if that is what they are going for this time around, only with a little more talent throughout the lineup.

I think having the better top players is always going to be an advantage. As long as that team is drafting, trading for or signing cheap yet still pretty good stuff that can populate the lower ranks.

The top players can sometimes take a lesser player and make him valuable, where as the lesser top players are going to have trouble doing so.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
LA and Chicago tried to compete this year and could pick higher than us. We're looking at their past and tanking, and they're getting picks on a next level strategy already.

We're f***ed.

Reactions: BroadwayBlues

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@RangerBoy has been pretty clear about what he wants. Rip out the walls down to the studs, trade everything of value, finish at the bottom and draft premium talent. Heck, he would even trade @Edge to the Winnipeg board for two young posters and a first.

If @Edge has that type of value at this stage of his career, that deal has to be considered.

The first may be conditional if I stay on the Winnipeg board beyond this season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Why is Zuccarello still here? According to Carp, the Rangers got an acceptable offer for Zuccarello at the 11th hour last February but Gorton was too busy finalizing the Tampa trade. The Rangers don’t have an AGM capable of negotiating the final trade details for a Zuccarello deal and conducting the trade conference call with the league? This is a billion dollar company. Anyone? Eugene Melnyk isn’t the owner.

Brooks wrote the Rangers didn’t want to move Zuccarello last summer because they didn’t want to ice a bad team. So they are going through the charade of a season with the plan of trading Zuccarello at the deadline. They better hope he is healthy. They have not talked contract with the player. The player airs his grievances with a Norweigan journalist and says his comments were taken out of context. Check the Post this morning. Dan Boyle’s friend Brett has the quotes.

Hayes? His name was mentioned at the last trade deadline too. The Rangers acquired Namestnikov and Spooner. They could have been short term hold the fort guys at center. The Rangers trade Hayes at the deadline. They have the 2 vets to buy time if the kids need more time.

Hayes is playing 20 minutes per minute now. The young guys are playing out of position and on the 4th line because they need Hayes to play 20 minutes per night. They have no plan for Andersson. Gorton sounded clueless in his comments last week.

The team should be getting healthy this week. What happens with Andersson? It’s either > than 10 minutes on the 4th line or riding the bus in the AHL. The Rangers don’t have a spot for him.

all this bitching and no solution sounds bad.

What do you want this team to do? They ARE bad, we are 30 games in, there are 50 games left, trade deadline is only a few months away, two top 6 players will be gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: haveandare

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
LA and Chicago tried to compete this year and could pick higher than us. We're looking at their past and tanking, and they're getting picks on a next level strategy already.

We're ****ed.

It's so irritating haha. Gonna flip if they wind up with Hughes/Kakko. They already got their cups! Leave the top picks for us chums.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008

We're ****ed.

You’re underestimating our second half tankathon post deadline. Once we trade Hayes and zucc and move Brendan Smith to 3C, we will be back on track!

Reactions: Bob Richards

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Winnipeg, I think they may be my 2nd or 3rd favorite team and it has nothing to do with anything except since they moved I really like that a team in a somewhat difficult market has shown it is possible to pretty much drafts and trade into a really solid roster. Nashville being up there with them. My aversion to imported long term, expensive UFAs is showing.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
With how expensive those 2nd contracts are becoming for your top players it is dramatically shortening the window of having cheap, elite players like Chicago, LA and have all had. Chicago hasn't won since Kane and Toews signed those mega deals. Once Kopitar got his big contract has LA won? Pittsburgh has the best or 2nd best player in the game locked into a contract that teams cannot offer to players now that is 4 million under market value now and continues for another half dozen years....

Toronto is going to have half of their cap tied up on Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Marner next year. I just have a hard time seeing how you can build a team around that. That's why I think it is going to get interesting....

Pitsburgh can get out of their problem but they refuse to trade Malkin and Letang. Kassel could go too and they could contend again before Crosby retires.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Things I learned on the main board today:

Kevin Hayes is barely worth a late 1st.

Carl Soderberg is better than Kevin hayes

Boston really doesn't want Kevin Hayes (though this has more to do with how Jimmy played there, I can't really blame them)

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
How does the new Seattle team affect our future moves. Should we retain someone just to expose them in the expansion draft? Would be terrible to have to give up a hard won asset.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Would you guys do Hayes, Buch and Smith (50% retained) for Colorado's (OTT) 1st + 2nd rd pick if Hayes signs there?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Would you guys do Hayes, Buch and Smith (50% retained) for Colorado's (OTT) 1st + 2nd rd pick if Hayes signs there?
Colorado would not. There's practically zero chance they move that pick before the draft lottery. Would you give up a chance a Jack Hughes or Kakko for that package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad