Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII What will Santa Gorton bring us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
The only thing I’m preparing for with this team is the hopes of a lottery top 5 pick. It would be something that could jump this rebuild forward a year or two

Reactions: haveandare

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The only thing I’m preparing for with this team is the hopes of a lottery top 5 pick. It would be something that could jump this rebuild forward a year or two

Meh the TDL is the focus for now. Can't control the lottery.

They can make some real strides forward by having a good trade deadline.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Meh the TDL is the focus for now. Can't control the lottery.

They can make some real strides forward by having a good trade deadline.
I’m not saying we can’t have a good trade deadline I’m just talking in regards to this seasons end game for myself

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
RB isn't wrong. I'm not sure where the 'pile on RB' sentiment has come from but the guy knows his **** and has been around for a long time adding serious value to these boards. Okay, so he has a different viewpoint than I, or others have, but this new game of attack RB has kind of run its course by now, no?

He wants this team to get out of the middle. I agree. Some of Gorton's decisions have been somewhat curious, namely Smith and Shattenkirk after trading Stepan. I get the feeling that some of that was not him but instead others within saying they could remain competitive and retool quickly. I thought he did a VERY good job at last years trade deadline. Guys like Spooner and Namestnikov were brought back for insulation and future trade chips. Hayes on a 1 year deal along with Zuccarello and a depth defenseman in McQuaid, all of whom should be moved this year.

I guess I like the approach of trying to accrue as many future assets as possible in lieu of just tanking and having crap pieces on the NHL roster (when no one would want them at the deadline as rentals). I am hopeful he will make the right decisions again with some selling in the next couple of months that will continue the course he started a couple of years ago.

I would be fine with what RB's been saying lately if it weren't tinged with hysteria, impatience and contradictions. The idea of not wanting to be in the middle is fine. Criticizing the organization for not having done enough doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, given the state of a team that has a poor defense and very little forward depth. And complaining about not getting a top-10 pick is funny when the Rangers are the 10th worst team in the league and the 5 teams below them are all easily within striking distance. Frankly, someone who is that in tune with the way things work shouldn't be upset with the process working its way out. If we get to the day after the trade deadline and guys on expiring contracts are still here, then yeah what he's saying will make sense. But I've felt this way for years and years: RB's best contributions to this board are when he's reporting on news or other connections that other people would miss.

The other thing about Shattenkirk... I really don't think Gorton was expecting to sign him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am no stranger to complaining that they are stuck in the middle, I guess I just see some limitations to what they can do to go in either direction.

There are a ton of opinions, everything from sell off everything now, to let's build this around Kreider, Hayes, Zbad before Lundqvist is a member of AARP as they finally seem to be showing the potential we all hoped they would have right as they reach UFA status.

To me that is why whatever they do needs to have some sort of strict timeline within it where everything has a chance to gel together for the most part. Having this guy decline on a big contract, while this one is still stuck in neutral, while this other one is having pace spurts of 40 goals then 5, while this one is Glass or whatever, I just don't see that getting it done.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would be fine with what RB's been saying lately if it weren't tinged with hysteria, impatience and contradictions. The idea of not wanting to be in the middle is fine. Criticizing the organization for not having done enough doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, given the state of a team that has a poor defense and very little forward depth. And complaining about not getting a top-10 pick is funny when the Rangers are the 10th worst team in the league and the 5 teams below them are all easily within striking distance. Frankly, someone who is that in tune with the way things work shouldn't be upset with the process working its way out. If we get to the day after the trade deadline and guys on expiring contracts are still here, then yeah what he's saying will make sense. But I've felt this way for years and years: RB's best contributions to this board are when he's reporting on news or other connections that other people would miss.

The other thing about Shattenkirk... I really don't think Gorton was expecting to sign him.

Honestly, I think everyone below them is within striking distance.

It’s not likely that they’ll get hot and fly passed this team, but it’s possible.

Reactions: Berserk

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Thinking that they end up in that 5-7 range. Which means Bettman will have them picking 9th.

Bettman will do no such thing.

But 5-7 has been my thoughts as well. Could have been lower but there are more bad teams than I expected there to be and the Rangers have been lucky. Still time for that to turn around but it’s gonna he tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad