Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XVI: C'mon, do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
7x5 for JVR, its better than 7x7 but I am not one yealous if that contract.

I was looking at that Bobby Ryan contract. He is 31, 7.25 for four more years. He was never that good, the writing was certainly on the wall?

There is one reason and one reason only teams get into that type of commitment, it’s desperation. Ottawa have a few assets in place, Karlsson. No farm and they can’t attract anyone, there is nobody to attract.

Everyone picked a future core player in the draft this year, but when we look back at the 18’ draft in 15 years it will be the same as always, about 10 guys that really made a difference. 2-3 real cornerstones from pick 1-31?

Then you get trapped in sucking, whops 10 years were wasted because it’s of course impossible to develop good players on a worthless team. Whops 10 years wasted.

The problem with with building a team is that you become so restricted so easily. The aim is to win a Cup, but the means to get there must be to stay in contention with mobility to move in the right direction. You can’t get trapped.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I never thought JT was likely to re-sign, but I don't think the isles are out today. Is he waiting because he is conflicted, or is he bidding up his contract? If he's conflicted, the longer the better for Long Island. The poster chatter believed SJ has a 7 x $13m offer out there. I would love to see the isles top that.

When Barzal outproduces him every single year, what does he demand on his next deal? They need to drop assets on a goalie and a defense, the cupboard will be bare in a season just getting the isles in the contention conversation.

Is the Islanders even in the mix? Do you want to go to a pressure cooker environment in Toronto? Anonymous environment in SJ/Dallas?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If they sign Gryba or Fayne to be the 7th it better be a 2 way or dirt cheap 1 way they can bury like Lack did in NJ.

Kampfer going down Likely if so

It will of course be a buriable contract, these guys aren’t in demand. Around a mil.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It's basically Neal, Grabner and Maroon for free agent wings. Most other guys are spoken for.

Skinner will cost a significant asset or 2. Pacioretty is going to cost significant assets and he seems like he's on a mission to make up for his last contract, scary.

There is going to be a market with Zuccarello. The ability and willingness to take back a bad contract or retain could really jack up the value. Boston and Arizona seem to keep missing out. If Maroon goes to Edmonton, they still haven't addressed McDavid's wing.

Reactions: bernmeister

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Actually glad not seeing the rangers appearing on the “expected to sign” lists. There are a lot of crummy players out there in free agency.

Get a veteran character guy who can grind and stick up for his teammates (or two) and I’ll be happy.

Reactions: TheTakedown

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

This is a new one. The home town discount? Nope. The isles have to outbid everyone and go more years and more total dollars.

I assume Lawton is saying that the isles are offering 8 years at a lower AAV and more total money, but they can't do that any more. Now all they can offer is 7 years, like everyone else. If they are offering a lower AAV, then their total total over will be under 80 mil too.

I would guess teams are offering 7 years/70-74 mil.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nieves struggled producing against AHL scrubs, Bern.
He struggled producing in Michigan.
As someone else noted, he has never had offensive W talent around him.
Closest to it is when he had Buch as a W for literally a game or 2, a couple of goals were scored, not a bonanza, just a modest but def. result in the right direction. Then for reasons otherwise inexplicable -- til you remember AV, decision to give Boo mo mins, desire to retain elc -- he was demoted. Automatically, some wanna label a bust.

A little bit of chemistry, or Synergy isn’t going magically make him suitable for a top-6 role.
If you and the handful of others who constantly give me grief and would contradict me if I said water was wet TRULY believed that, then what are you afraid of.

We all know how Kreider can elevate a line. We see with our own 2 eyes the indisputable and obvious talents/attributes of Nieves -- size, speed, etc. -- and clearly he brings that.

There is a tiny chance that this is oil and water and something that looks good on paper, but once you try it, nope.

But there is a greater likelihood it should and will work. Esp. when the ultimate RW joining would be Krav.

Yeah, I call you out here.
The acid test is like I said, give legit chance to make this work, full support, every opportunity to succeed. IF IF IF IF that truly takes place, and still fails, then I'll man up and take your lumps. But in the mean time, why don't you demonstrate an open mind?

Could it be you're afraid I might be proven right?
I am confident given real support and a fair chance Kreider and Nieves will work.

Bern I’m convinced you don’t watch hockey. Seriously.
Ye of little faith, and apparently, sometimes, little knowledge.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I assume Lawton is saying that the isles are offering 8 years at a lower AAV and more total money, but they can't do that any more. Now all they can offer is 7 years, like everyone else. If they are offering a lower AAV, then their total total over will be under 80 mil too.

I would guess teams are offering 7 years/70-74 mil.
I took it to mean they are at 7 (were at 8) with a higher total. Other teams aren't going max length but have a higher per year.

If this is the case, JT wants to leave but is leveraging the isles' offer to get more years elsewhere. Poker game now.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
JT leaving the Isles sets them back big time.

I do wonder if he’ll wait several hours into UFAgency or a full day to see if any team comes in with a monster contract offer other than the 6 teams he’s been talking with this past week.

Indeed, and they deserve it.
As a last minute solution for them to possibly avoid this, I suggested
Zib + Skjei +
for
Dobson + Isles 2019 1st unprotected +
but Isles fans, in haughty arrogance, made like they didn't need to go there to have Zib as a nice RW linemate for JT if he stayed.

Reap what you sow.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Indeed, and they deserve it.
As a last minute solution for them to possibly avoid this, I suggested
Zib + Skjei +
for
Dobson + Isles 2019 1st unprotected +
but Isles fans, in haughty arrogance, made like they didn't need to go there to have Zib as a nice RW linemate for JT if he stayed.

Reap what you sow.
:biglaugh:

Reactions: darko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad