Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Again, they were in that position because they drastically underachieved. Yes, on January 3 if you said they would win the Cup, you’d be surprised, but not if you said the same thing on October 3, 2018.

It’s a long regular season. The Blues aren’t the first team to go from last halfway through to solidly in the playoffs. Binnington isn’t the first rookie goalie to win the Cup.

Play this POs 10 times over and you probably get 10 different winners...

Reactions: NernieBichols

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Plus player development guys aren’t like, skills coaches (as far as I know)

They aren't, but you don't need former high end offensive guys to be good skills coaches either. I mean, they're different skills, but guys like Benoit Allaire and Mitch Korn never even played goalie at a high level. Their jobs aren't just skills related, but that's still part of it. The idea that you need a formerly high skilled player to be a skills coach is misguided.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Based on first hand experience the academic standard are a LOT more relaxed from athletes and you can definitely graduate without being intelligent. Not saying that necessarily fits Glass but if you're a good athlete you can easily get into an Ivy League school even if you're a terrible student.

Getting into and graduating are two totally different things.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Gorton never played in the NHL. Glass was a 4th liner. Dump these losers.

Messier to GM and Gretzky to Coach. We'll never lose another game!
Has Tanner glass done anything to be qualified for that job? Wasn't he playing in France recently. ... I like to see some experience first.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Based on first hand experience the academic standard are a LOT more relaxed from athletes and you can definitely graduate without being intelligent. Not saying that necessarily fits Glass but if you're a good athlete you can easily get into an Ivy League school even if you're a terrible student.

This is at minimum hyperbole. Maybe at UW Madison or BU. Ivy is a much higher bar even for athletes.

Reactions: White Death 24

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It's hard to teach and relate to common folk when your abilities are God given and natural. Gretzky talked about how frustrating it was that his players didn't just get it or see what he saw.

Then you have guys that defied odds, worked despite the nay sayers and had to learn from the ground up.

Catchers make great coaches, they had to think the game from the start, they saw the field from behind the plate. It wasn't hall of fame catchers turning into great coaches. It was workers.

Some of you think Glass is bad for this, that they should get a Bobby Orr who never had to think about his stride or shot. You have it backwards.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Has Tanner glass done anything to be qualified for that job? Wasn't he playing in France recently. ... I like to see some experience first.
It’s not like it’s a high level position, it’s similar to where Drury started (if I’m remembering right). I’m sure he’s had plenty of conversations about hockey and the like with front office members during his time here that would tip them off that he’d be capable of the job

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

tough to ask what he's done to be qualified for that job when we have no idea what the job actually is. its a brand new position

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
A microcosm of that Blues/Bruins series about free agency. Know when to let a player go (Blues) and Don't Lose your mind in FA (Bruins). That David Backes contract is a nightmare. He just watched the team that drafted him win the cup from the press box.

Reactions: Avery16

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
This is what the universe rewarded after Glass roofed a backhander on Carey Price in the playoffs.

I'm sure I muttered numerous bargains and barters to the gods to beat that stupid team that year so I'm fine with this.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Getting into and graduating are two totally different things.

It's not an issue. I went to one. I know plenty of people that were on the sports teams. There were other people from my high school that I went to college with that got in solely because of sports and there were some of the lowest ranked students during high school. They had no issues graduating from an Ivy League school. The teams make sure to support them with lots of mandatory study hours, tutors and the like to make sure they keep their GPA above the minimum threshold not to mention most of these people are not exactly taking the most difficult courseload. Being an athlete graduating from an Ivy League school shows, at the least, that you are dedicated and reasonably hard working (a good thing for sure) but definitely not that you are particularly intelligent.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It's not an issue. I went to one. I know plenty of people that were on the sports teams. There were other people from my high school that I went to college with that got in solely because of sports and there were some of the lowest ranked students during high school. They had no issues graduating from an Ivy League school. The teams make sure to support them with lots of mandatory study hours, tutors and the like to make sure they keep their GPA above the minimum threshold not to mention most of these people are not exactly taking the most difficult courseload.

Fair enough. But I would add... if they're getting mandatory study hours, tutors, etc from a high-end institution... ok, maybe I'll take back the intelligence thing, but they're certainly likely to be pretty well-educated... lighter courseload or not.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Fair enough. But I would add... if they're getting mandatory study hours, tutors, etc from a high-end institution... ok, maybe I'll take back the intelligence thing, but they're certainly likely to be pretty well-educated... lighter courseload or not.

Agreed. It's certainly a good thing that they do put in the hours to make sure their grades stay up. If they didn't do that then they would be thrown off the team and not graduate. And they obviously learn while there since they have to. Just saying I don't think by default there is much of a correlation between how smart a particular athlete and where he graduated from college. There are of course, exceptions, such as Brandon Copeland of the (New York) Jets.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
A microcosm of that Blues/Bruins series about free agency. Know when to let a player go (Blues) and Don't Lose your mind in FA (Bruins). That David Backes contract is a nightmare. He just watched the team that drafted him win the cup from the press box.
Been there done that with Callahan. We just didn’t win anything from it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Agreed. It's certainly a good thing that they do put in the hours to make sure their grades stay up. If they didn't do that then they would be thrown off the team and not graduate. And they obviously learn while there since they have to. Just saying I don't think by default there is much of a correlation between how smart a particular athlete and where he graduated from college. There are of course, exceptions, such as Brandon Copeland of the (New York) Jets.

I can also think of another famous example of this. Very current. He's not necessarily an athlete, though he'd tell you he was. In fact he was the greatest non-athlete, athlete in the history of the Ivys. Very bigly athletic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is at minimum hyperbole. Maybe at UW Madison or BU. Ivy is a much higher bar even for athletes.

It's not hyperbole, it's flat out incorrect.

Now do athletes have an easier time getting in than normal applicants? Yes, but the top schools still have pretty strict admissions standards for athletes. You can't get in if you're a "terrible" student.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Regarding Tanner Glass, I will say this:

The best coaches/scouts are usually the ones who were mediocre players. Because they had to work extra hard to get to the NHL, had to study the playbook, study tape, spend so much more into adapting to the higher level. Unlike the true superstars they didn't have the amazing talent to dominate.

Herb Brooks comes to mind. "you don't have enough talent to win on talent alone" and that isn't just about effort but also about learning the game.

I don't think Glass would be a bad addition to the organization per se. Probably a better option than Messier or Gretzky. In the Netherlands we had a football coach who famously said "a good horse doesn't necessarily make a good jockey" if that makes sense.

Glass, who went to Dartmouth, is going to help prospects with their development both off and on the ice and him not being a former superstar probably helps in this regard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia