Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.
That’s basically how my cousins name got on the cup

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
They were dead last in the entire NHL on January 3 and they won the Cup on June 12. Five months.

The Blues did it with a goaltender who was loaned to the Bruins organization in 2017-18. They didn't have a spot for him at their own AHL team. He was 4th/5th on their depth chart.

There was some mystical **** happening with this team.

Again, they were in that position because they drastically underachieved. Yes, on January 3 if you said they would win the Cup, you’d be surprised, but not if you said the same thing on October 3, 2018.

It’s a long regular season. The Blues aren’t the first team to go from last halfway through to solidly in the playoffs. Binnington isn’t the first rookie goalie to win the Cup.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Guys who suck at playing hockey but make the NHL generally have to really figure out how the game works to get there. As bad as he was on the ice, I wouldn’t exactly use that as evidence against giving Glass a role within the organization

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Tanner Glass for all of the **** he is given was, I'm sure, one of the harder working guys on most of his teams. It wasn't his skill. Ortmeyer is a similar guy who is now involved in the organization. Many front office or scouting positions are often roles that require a lot of travel and a grind to the every day so finding guys who have that mentality and work ethic is key. Good for Tanner

still not sure I full understand what that role is but you definitely would get a different reaction of tanner hadn't played here. you can't teach skill, but you can teach hard work and work ethic so hopefully it works

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
You know after dealing with McLeod last year, I yearned for the days when we had Glasss playing those minutes

But this isn’t what I wanted haha

I think this is fine though. Let him go talk up the organization and tell all our prospects how great we are

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Guys who suck at playing hockey but make the NHL generally have to really figure out how the game works to get there. As bad as he was on the ice, I wouldn’t exactly use that as evidence against giving Glass a role within the organization

The guy graduated from Dartmouth. Even though I realize that the academic standards are a little more relaxed for athletes, you don't graduate from an Ivy League school without being intelligent. He came off that way in interviews too.

For me, the fact that he was so bad on the ice, yet still kept an NHL job for so long, is pretty good evidence that he's really good off the ice. Him continuing a career in the front office makes a ton of sense to me, as an outsider.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I love all of the anti-rebuild people saying you don't need to strip the team down and bottom out when the Rangers have essentially done that with their team. The Rangers had the fewest ROW's last season. A handful of players are left from the Rangers 2014-2015 teams. One of those remaining players might not be here before the start of the season. You need to have a discussion with Jeff Gorton.

The Blues were in the running to win the Jack Hughes draft lottery on January. We had a thread there tracking the #1 pick. The Blues were in prime position. The GM wanted to blow up the entire team but he couldn't find the right match or it wasn't the right point in the season. Jordan Binnington won them a Stanley Cup. He should won the Conn Smythe. That would be like Brandon Halverson leading the Rangers to the Cup. Back-up goaltender in the AHL. Fourth of the depth chart. That's crazy. I remember the Rangers played the Blues on New Year's Eve. The Blues thought about playing Bennington but they stuck with Allen. They were afraid to play Binnigton.

JD went to the Blues in 2006. They already had the #1 pick in the draft that year. John was in the broadcast booth with Sam in 05-06. The team was awful. The Blues had two #1 picks in 2006. They traded Weight for the later 1st in 2006. Three 1st round picks in 2007. Tkachuk and Guerin were traded for the two later 2007 1st's. They took Pietrangelo 4th overall in 2008. Another ****ty season. Some of the people make it seem the Blues weren't bad. They took Rundblad in 2009 and flipped him to Ottawa for 1st in 2010 to select to Tarasenko who was a top 5 talent. Schwartz was their other 1st in 2010.

They sucked. They traded older players. They had multiple 1st round picks. Sounds familiar.

It just took them forever to win. The fourth or fifth string goaltender won them a Cup. They traded for Halak and Ryan Miller. Didn't win.
God you will say anything and everything to defend your position. Its always a one way street with you. Your way or the highway. Even in the face of clear fact. Good for you.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Exactly. Along the same lines why great players hardly every make great coaches, while the far lesser talented do. One group had to figure it out and one had things come to them much easier and could rely on natural talent. The latter usually suits teaching younger kids better. As well as spotting certain traits.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The guy graduated from Dartmouth. Even though I realize that the academic standards are a little more relaxed for athletes, you don't graduate from an Ivy League school without being intelligent. He came off that way in interviews too.

For me, the fact that he was so bad on the ice, yet still kept an NHL job for so long, is pretty good evidence that he's really good off the ice. Him continuing a career in the front office makes a ton of sense to me, as an outsider.
Plus player development guys aren’t like, skills coaches (as far as I know)

Reactions: Tawnos

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Exactly. Along the same lines why great players hardly every make great coaches, while the far lesser talented do. One group had to figure it out and one had things come to them much easier and could rely on natural talent. The latter usually suits teaching younger kids better. As well as spotting certain traits.

Is this going to be the new thing now? People using "latter" when they mean "former"? :laugh:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Based on first hand experience the academic standard are a LOT more relaxed from athletes and you can definitely graduate without being intelligent. Not saying that necessarily fits Glass but if you're a good athlete you can easily get into an Ivy League school even if you're a terrible student.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad