Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Carp recently did a Q&A on the Athletic, and was asked who the Rangers goalies would be next year. He said Igor and Alex, so maybe Hank does get bought out.

We have no idea what sort of offers Gorton was getting for Georgiev, so saying he should have been traded is disingenuous. If Gorton had traded him for a 3rd round pick, half this board would have been ready to lynch him.

He’s likely going to get his best offers at the draft ... NYR could use a 2nd ... if Hank stays 1 more year then they kinda have too pull the trigger like they did w Talbot

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
If I'm JG I'm calling all 3 of--Ottawa, Detroit, and the Sharks to see if they want Georgiev.

We know all 3 need a goalie of the future and have no issue with cap room. Plus all 3 have multiple second round picks not that that should or will be an issue with Georgiev.

Ottawa makes the most sense.

Maybe we could fill Georgiev and Smith at 50% for 2 of Ottawa's second round picks and the Rangers send back a forth round pick for taking Smith--wish they would take Staal but that's not happening.

We could possible buy out Staal--and use the extra money from Smith and Staal to sign all of our players including Fast.

Hank stays on 1 more year until Wall or Huska are ready for the back up roll.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If I'm JG I'm calling all 3 of--Ottawa, Detroit, and the Sharks to see if they want Georgiev.

We know all 3 need a goalie of the future and have no issue with cap room. Plus all 3 have multiple second round picks not that that should or will be an issue with Georgiev.

Ottawa makes the most sense.

Maybe we could fill Georgiev and Smith at 50% for 2 of Ottawa's second round picks and the Rangers send back a forth round pick for taking Smith--wish they would take Staal but that's not happening.

We could possible buy out Staal--and use the extra money from Smith and Staal to sign all of our players including Fast.

Hank stays on 1 more year until Wall or Huska are ready for the back up roll.

And if Wall and Huska are not ready? And if Shesterkin gets injured or pulls a Jim Carey? Too much risk and too little reward trading Georgiev now.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Depends on the return. Looking at a team like San Jose for two 2nd rounders is a trade I would think suits us very well. Stocking up in the final draft before we move to the next phase in our quest to build a contender. Getting 6 picks in the top 100 is huge

Getting rid of even half of Hanks contract next year could be the difference between winning the cup next year or not. Even if we saved 4 mill that could be the difference between getting a player like Getzlaf or Stastny at the deadline, its huge. It's all up to Hank though, he got this clause for a reason. If we have to move on for Georgiev we have to I'd prefer if we didnt ofcourse.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Getting rid of even half of Hanks contract next year could be the difference between winning the cup next year or not. Even if we saved 4 mill that could be the difference between getting a player like Getzlaf or Stastny at the deadline, its huge. It's all up to Hank though, he got this clause for a reason. If we have to move on for Georgiev we have to I'd prefer if we didnt ofcourse.

In an ideal world, Lundqvist just retires and we get the full 8.5m in cap space for it. BUt I doubt that happens

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Also...I really don't think buyouts are in our future. Adding cap to future years isn't what this team needs to do at this point in the build. Staal and Smith outside of a trade will finish their contracts here. I think Fast is the casualty of those contracts unfortunately

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Also...I really don't think buyouts are in our future. Adding cap to future years isn't what this team needs to do at this point in the build. Staal and Smith outside of a trade will finish their contracts here. I think Fast is the casualty of those contracts unfortunately

How many points (and in how many games) did Fast produce playing with Panarin this season?

I agree Staal and Smith should not be bought out (unless one of them has horrendous playoffs). But there is a chance they might get traded at the trade deadline when we can easily pick up 50% of their remaining salary.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Staal's buyout has a minimal (under $1.1MM) impact which would extend only one year after. Combine that with the fact that his replacement will presumably be a rookie on his ELC (given Miller's play in coronacamp we may have already seen who it is) and that move works just fine under the flat cap.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Staal's buyout has a minimal (under $1.1MM) impact which would extend only one year after. Combine that with the fact that his replacement will presumably be a rookie on his ELC (given Miller's play in coronacamp we may have already seen who it is) and that move works just fine under the flat cap.

we only save about 1.2 mil next season by buying out Staal, it makes no sense. Trading Trouba makes a lot more sense especially if he looks lousy in these playoffs.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Unless the Rangers win it all this year, I can't see Hank walking away. I think he'll want that last shot and leaving $5.5m on the table is a lot to swallow. I also can't really see the Rangers buying out Hank just so they can roll with two inexperience goalies, no matter how good they might be. They're not desperate for cap space and I don't see buying out a franchise legend as the kind of black mark Gorton wants on his resume.

Buying out Staal or Smith makes more sense. Less savings on the cap this year but less of an impact on the cap next year.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We need to figure something out about Fast. If he’s going to be to expensive to bring back, we have no one else who plays his game and provides that veteran jam. I don’t want to onto next season with Buch - Kakko - Krav - Gauthier down the right. Too much youth and finesse.

Lias’ player profile seems like the perfect fit but unfortunately he wasn’t as advertised.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We need to figure something out about Fast. If he’s going to be to expensive to bring back, we have no one else who plays his game and provides that veteran jam. I don’t want to onto next season with Buch - Kakko - Krav - Gauthier down the right. Too much youth and finesse.

Lias’ player profile seems like the perfect fit but unfortunately he wasn’t as advertised.

Can Fast play LW effectively?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I have no issues at all if one of the Rangers pounded someone for a big hit on Kakko or Chytil or any player on the team.

Clean hit or not, i dont care.

But it should be immediate and not later in the game.

Exactly what Kadri did with Lindgren. i have 0 issue with that.

I want my team to conduct themselves in the same manne .

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Unless the Rangers win it all this year, I can't see Hank walking away. I think he'll want that last shot and leaving $5.5m on the table is a lot to swallow. I also can't really see the Rangers buying out Hank just so they can roll with two inexperience goalies, no matter how good they might be. They're not desperate for cap space and I don't see buying out a franchise legend as the kind of black mark Gorton wants on his resume.

Buying out Staal or Smith makes more sense. Less savings on the cap this year but less of an impact on the cap next year.

How much are they really saving buying out Hank in his final year and still having to sign Georgiev to a contract? It's almost negligible.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
As for SC Bern, it appears that Alex Chatelain, former team manager of the Bears and now strategic sports director and head scout, has been gathering information on Vinni Lettieri. The right-handed right winger from Minnesota has been part of the New York Rangers’ organization for the last three years. Last season, the 25-year-old suited up 61 times for the AHL-affiliate of the Rangers, the Hartford Wolf Pack, collecting 47 points.
Swiss Hockey News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad