Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sounds sweet, but I remember VK being THE top prospect outside the NHL. Though Nils is older and more mature as a player, and has looked the part for a few years now with steady growth in specific areas of his game (PP bomb, for example, seems to have become a weapon this past year)

More mature, possibly. But Lundkvist is younger than Kravtsov

Reactions: egelband and romba

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Grabner's biggest issue over the last 2 seasons has been health. If you extrapolate out, he was on pace for 15-18 goals a season. I'd take him as a nice veteran depth winger who can help the PK.

His cap hit is $3.25m but his actual salary is $3.75m next season.

Brendan Smith's cap hit is $4.35m but his actual salary is $3.35m

The Yotes would actually save $.5m

Also, $1m of Smith's saary is signing bonus so I believe he will get paid that on July 1 (which is whatever date that has been pushed to in the off-season).

Basically, once the Rangers pay that bonus, he will actually make $2.35m in real salary while having a $4.35m cap hit. So the Yotes could conceivably save $1.4m in real money while bumping their cap up $.6m and add a veteran LD which they need.

RD's
Goligoski
Demers
Hjalmersson

LD's
OEL
Oesterle
______

426ers

Jun 21, 2020
If we got the first pick in the draft, what would our forward lines be/ look like next year?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Grabner's biggest issue over the last 2 seasons has been health. If you extrapolate out, he was on pace for 15-18 goals a season. I'd take him as a nice veteran depth winger who can help the PK.

His cap hit is $3.25m but his actual salary is $3.75m next season.

Brendan Smith's cap hit is $4.35m but his actual salary is $3.35m

The Yotes would actually save $.5m

Also, $1m of Smith's saary is signing bonus so I believe he will get paid that on July 1 (which is whatever date that has been pushed to in the off-season).

Basically, once the Rangers pay that bonus, he will actually make $2.35m in real salary while having a $4.35m cap hit. So the Yotes could conceivably save $1.4m in real money while bumping their cap up $.6m and add a veteran LD which they need.

RD's
Goligoski
Demers
Hjalmersson

LD's
OEL
Oesterle
______
I like Grabner but I think I’d rather keep Smith.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Lafreniere-Howden-Chytil
Lemieux-McKegg-Gauthier

My guess is Chytil is the 3C and Howden moved to 4C with McKegg out or to 4RW with Gauthier to 3RW.

Kravtzov? Barron?

Hartford. Need to earn a spot — that is break down the door and force their way into the lineup.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Howden's biggest area of improvement needs to be his skating. I saw a lot of Lightning fans were talking about it when they kept Cirelli over Howden, was that Howden needed to improve his skating because he wouldn't be able to play their system if he didn't. The Rangers no doubt want to play a similar speed and skill game as Tampa, so Howden will need to touch up on that area of his game, for sure.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Do you have something better to dissect today

My dinner, when i eat that tonight. Otherwise not really

Howden's biggest area of improvement needs to be his skating. I saw a lot of Lightning fans were talking about it when they kept Cirelli over Howden, was that Howden needed to improve his skating because he wouldn't be able to play their system if he didn't. The Rangers no doubt want to play a similar speed and skill game as Tampa, so Howden will need to touch up on that area of his game, for sure.

I think he's a terrible hockey player, but his skating's not his biggest problem, it's his hockey iq. He's constantly in the wrong places on the ice, and struggling mightily to get somewhere decent b/c of it. Of course, all the coaching staff sees is the effort he's putting in, while ignoring the fact that he doesn't know what he's doing

Reactions: Avery16

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Panarin Zib Kakko
Laf Strome Buch
Kreider Chytil Kravtsov
Lemieux Howden Gauthier
McKegg

if the Rangers are lucky enough to win Laf they had better him a center, say goodbye to Strome and make sure Kredier’s contract is at least part of line two.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to re-sign Di Giuseppe to play on the 4th line. Good speed. Can play on a higher line for a limited time if needed.
See to me, he is just a fringe player. I don't really care if he is on 4th line but hated seeing him get ice time ahead of Lemieux. Would not hesitate to upgrade from him on 4th line

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
See to me, he is just a fringe player. I don't really care if he is on 4th line but hated seeing him get ice time ahead of Lemieux. Would not hesitate to upgrade from him on 4th line
I understand and in agree, in principle. I just don't want to spend FA money on 4th liners. So I can live with a fringe guy who has speed and play sparing minutes.

I like the idea that this is a guy, who at 26, will be motivated playing for another contract.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think he is an ideal 4th line player providing energy, speed, forecheck, and a sub 1 mil cap hit for the foreseeable years

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
This a new topic, and I'd love to hear from folks like Amazing Kreiderman, Bobbop, etc -- but one thing that really bothers me is the measurables we choose to judge prospects on this board.

Currently we use point totals, ice time, advanced stats etc, but they seem more appropriate as measurements once someone is established in their career. I'd like us to come to a consensus on a way to judge the kids' adjustment to the NHL -- so we can get on the same page about where kids like Howden, Kakko, Kravtsov, Miller are at in their development.

Ideally, input from anyone who knows NHL scouts or coach would be great, as there is likely already some standard process. (or should be). Sans that, we could crack our own rating system that rates players adjustment to NHL, say, on 30 point scale. And then giving players updated ratings every quarter of a season. Here's my best crack at it:

Every player receives a 1-5 rating in each of the following 6 categories:

Physical adjustments:
- Strength development (1-5)
- Skill development (1-5)
- Skating development (1-5)

Mental adjustments:
- COACHABILITY (1-5) - How quickly is a prospect able to implement coaches feedback into their game (this is not something we can really glean from afar)
- SITUATIONAL RECOGNITION (1-5) - How well is a prospect processing the pro game (aka Hockey sense)? This category is meant to focus on a player's situational recognition. The moments in the game that occur outside of systems/coaching.
- INVOLVEMENT (1-5) - Finally, how involved is the prospect in the play shift-by-shift? Are they having an impact or are they floating/lost/behind?

Are there more categories that I've left out?

Should some categories be weighted more than others?

To test this out, let's try a few players. (these are just my own evaluations, so disagree as you will) The hardest part is figuring out what the top rating (5) means. For now 5 is just an average full time NHL player. As such my ratings are likely a little off, but even with that, the system still basically works.

Kakko - Strength 3.5, Skill 3.5, Skating 2, Coach 4, Sitch 3, Involvement 3 = 21/30
Guathier - Strength 5, Skill 3.5, Skating 5, Coach 3.5, Sitch 3, Involvement 4 = 24/30
Howden - Strength 2.5, Skill 3, Skating 4, Coach 5, Sitch 3.5, Involvment 4 = 22/30
Kravtsov (AHL) - Strength 2, Skill 4, Skating 3.5, Coach 3.5, Sitch 3.5, Involvement 3.5 = 20/30
Fox - Strength 4, Skill 5, Skating 5, Coach 5, Sitch 5, Involvment 5 = 29/30
Lindgren - Strength 4, Skill 4, Skating 5, Coach 5, Sitch 4, Involvement 5 = 27/30
Andersson (just comparison) Strength 3, Skill 3, Skating 2, Coach 2.5, Sitch 2, Involvement 2 = 14.5/30

If we adjust these numbers every 2-4 times a season, you will quickly see if a player is progressing or not. My guess is 21 or 22/30 is the likely cut-off for a kid to get a regular shift in NHL/Rangers. But by year 3 they need to be as close to 30 as possible

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad