Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
More and more I’ll digging the idea of buchnevich as a long term 3rd line matchup advantage.
Pepe-howden-buchnevich has amazing potential as long term trio there.

It sounds simple, to me the ultimate goal in roster building in the new day and age is to have 3rd line caliber guys on your 4th line, 2nd line caliber guys on your 3rd line line, 1b-2a line caliber guys on your 2nd line, and legitimate drivers and game breakers on your 1st line. They don’t have be top5 in the league guys. Just legitimate year in year out top line producers and gamebreakers

Oh and give me a bunch of guys who can shuffle up and down the lineup ala a Strome, buchnevich, zucc, Pepe, fast, etc.

Boom copyright it and sell it to the teams ;)

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Why on earth would anyone want Shattenkirk at 6.65m dollar hit, 20 pounds overweight, and 0 hair? come on ola

oh and he's due $8M in real money this coming year. lol.
329x1j.jpg

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
JD won’t let Gorton sit on his hands all summer like he did last year. Moves will be made here and soon. Shattenkirk is a goner. Namestnikov and Vesey most likely as well.

I’m not sure they see value in moving Kreider to sign panarin. Kreider adds an element we don’t have a lot of. Net front presence.

I’m not convinced he’s moved.

I see us going hard for Karlsson

being patient and sticking to the game plan isn't sitting on your hands

Reactions: Trxjw and Kupo

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Zaitsev demanded a trade according to Friedman. Would you do zaitsev + kapanen or johnsson for shatty (no retention) and kreider?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Zaitsev demanded a trade according to Friedman. Would you do zaitsev + kapanen or johnsson for shatty (no retention) and kreider?
never in the history of ever

Further, Toronto is capped out and sending out about $4.5m and taking back like $11m....

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Ah the ol' moving of the goal posts.

OV's best offensive seasons occured in his 20's. You can point to improved defensive play or what ever, he scored 60+ and won an art ross + hart at 22.

I don't define a player solely by points - but if you think Ovie from 24-28 is better than Ovie from 28-33, then I'll strongly disagree with you on that. I'll take 28-33 every day and twice on Sundays. Let's not forget all of the grabbing/clutching/hooking etc... penalties that have been enforced far more vigorously over the years since that 65 goal output in 2008. You're entitled to believe that's the best he's been. I'm entitled to believe otherwise. He's won the Richard 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

Except you were.

I never said that hes going to fall off of a cliff. History shows that guys of his caliber usually level off and then start to dip a bit before completely falling off if they don't call it quits first.

That doesn't mean that said player is a bad player once the dip happens, but I dunno, I don't exactly love the prospect of paying 11 million for a 65 point player.

FWIW, Panarin's peak year was probably 2017-18. His numbers were slightly up this year, but as someone mentioned league scoring was also up and the production of the guys around him was higher. Look at the gap between him and the guy who finished 2nd (I think it was Dubois) in 2017-18, it's almost Pavel Bure on the Panthers type ridiculous.

No, I said that you said he was going to decline and there's plenty of examples where players actually got better in their late 20's and provided a few. We're not going to agree and we'll probably never know how he would've done here anyway so all of this back and forth is probably moot.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Shatty (50%) + Pionk for Zaitsev w/o retention + 2020 1st?
I would rather keep Shattenkirk and let him try to build his value up. Worst case is that he's on the team two more years. Zaitsev has five more years at a high cap number. He's a glorified bottom pairing defenseman. A low 1st round pick isn't enough for me to eat Zaitsev's contract AND eat half of Shattenkirk for two years. Pass big time.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I would rather keep Shattenkirk and let him try to build his value up. Worst case is that he's on the team two more years. Zaitsev has five more years at a high cap number. He's a glorified bottom pairing defenseman. A low 1st round pick isn't enough for me to eat Zaitsev's contract AND eat half of Shattenkirk for two years. Pass big time.
With that D core the pick wont be very low, but maybe im overvaluing Zaitsev as a player.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
being patient and sticking to the game plan isn't sitting on your hands

You know my feelings on this.

Shouldn’t have kept namestnikov and spooner.

Shouldn’t have kept zucc and Hayes till the deadline. They should have been dealt last summer like everyone is clamoring for in regard to Kreider if he isn’t going to be kept.

Sat on our hands last summer

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You know my feelings on this.

Shouldn’t have kept namestnikov and spooner.

Shouldn’t have kept zucc and Hayes till the deadline. They should have been dealt last summer like everyone is clamoring for in regard to Kreider if he isn’t going to be kept.

Sat on our hands last summer

What if the offers weren’t there?

This post reminds me of Bern crying about how we should have listened to him and traded Girardi to Edmonton a few years back. Did Edm want Girardi...lol? And even if we did agree to Berns 21 player swap, does that mean management would have gone ahead and approved a trade they heard about on HFBOARDS?

We ended up embarrassing Edmonton by flipping Spooner/Strome. We got very good value for Hayes. And the Zucc trade was almost an amazing trade if a couple of bounces went Dallas’s way. If he re-sign there then that’s another quality display of asset management by Gorton.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What if the offers weren’t there?

This post reminds me of Bern crying about how we should have listened to him and traded Girardi to Edmonton a few years back. Did Edm want Girardi...lol? And even if we did agree to Berns 21 player swap, does that mean management would have gone ahead and approved a trade they heard about on HFBOARDS?

We ended up embarrassing Edmonton by flipping Spooner/Strome. We got very good value for Hayes. And the Zucc trade was almost an amazing trade if a couple of bounces went Dallas’s way. If he re-sign there then that’s another quality display of asset management by Gorton.

Deals get done when they’re ready to be done. What mythical deal didn’t get done because Gorton sat on his hands? (I’m just adding to your post, not attacking it.)

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Miller, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren and Reuanen is pretty good start.

It certainly is. But is that group any more or less likely to succeed than ADA, Fox, Lundkvist, Keane and Pionk on the right side?

Trading Skjei for Trouba seems like making a move to solve a problem before we know where the problem is.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's tough to argue that with Panarin the Rangers should wait to see what else transpires among the forward prospects, then on the other side argue that those D prospects should also not be waited on to see what they do before making any big moves on D.

I do not love the Skjei contract and all, I have some level of concern there, yet I'm pretty sure I'm happier with that than I'd be with the next Trouba contract especially if the Rangers are trading stuff that could maybe be used elsewhere just to make that contract.

All in all I feel as if the Rangers will likely need a RD like Trouba, they may even need a LW like Panarin, yet again to me it just feels like until they know more about what they have, it's a cart horse type thing.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Booby Mac says Buffalo is closing in on signing Jeff Skinner to an 8 year, $72 million contract.

Yowie Wowie.

It just seems very Buffalo to sign a guy like Skinner and have that contract bomb before 2020 for a number of reasons.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It certainly is. But is that group any more or less likely to succeed than ADA, Fox, Lundkvist, Keane and Pionk on the right side?

Trading Skjei for Trouba seems like making a move to solve a problem before we know where the problem is.

Trouba is a better player than Skjei. Miller, IMO, has a higher upside, and I’m willing to gamble that Hajek at least reaches the level Skjei is currently at. So, yes, I do think that it’s a worthy trade off.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Deals get done when they’re ready to be done. What mythical deal didn’t get done because Gorton sat on his hands? (I’m just adding to your post, not attacking it.)
Oh I know.;)

I realize some people think it’s easy to make trades, but I don’t think that’s the case. Pre-Cap, sure. But not anymore. There are a lot more hurdles to overcome nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad