Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Less than one month until the draft and just over one month until Free Agency begins...

tenor.gif

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Hank isn't eligible for an extension for another 13 months. July 2020.

The Rangers are moving on with the two Russians in net.

Hank needs to go do his something somewhere else and the Rangers can go on with the young guys.
Personally believe Rangers will make a choice between Shesty and Georgiev this season and Hank will be back on a high-end backup contract in a 1A/1B tandem, a la Vanbiesbrouck to Richter, plus the return on one of the Russians, which should be substantial.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Personally believe Rangers will make a choice between Shesty and Georgiev this season and Hank will be back on a high-end backup contract in a 1A/1B tandem, a la Vanbiesbrouck to Richter, plus the return on one of the Russians, which should be substantial.
I don't think they can make a decision this soon. At least, I hope they don't. It would be a terrible idea. Although he has looked good at times, Georgiev only has 43 games of NHL experience under his belt. Sheshty has 0. Sheshty will likely need time to play in the AHL, just as Georgiev did for half a season before joining the Rangers.

Not only will you not get maximized value if indeed they are trending towards being #1 goaltenders, you also don't get enough time to make the most informed decision about what is best for your own team.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ

I think there could be some rumblings between Hank and JD. I would not be surprised if there is a rift between the teams goals and Hanks goals(a new contract). JD comes across as someone who will do the right thing and if it means clashing with Hank so be it. My guess is Hank forces a move.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
@kovazub94 Did Chicago build around Hossa? Did Pens build around Kessel? High priced signing could be supplemental too. And please don't say that these signing came after these team's core was in place because it wasn't the assertion in your post.

Actually, that was part of my assertion in my post. Regardless, the argument you are making is apples to oranges. Chicago had Toews and Kane. The Pens had Malkin and Crosby. Hossa and Kessel were brought in as supplemental players.

Gaborik wasn't meant to be a supplemental offensive player. He was 'the guy.' Panarin will be the #1 offensive player on this team when he is brought in. Also, their cap hits are much different. Hossa was on a rigged contract. Kessel is at 6.8 per year.

When you sign a guy to 11 Mil per year, who will be your #1 offensive player, you are changing the dynamic of the team. He will undoubtedly be one of two or three players you are building the squad around.

I don't really understand how anyone can argue differently.

Whether you're for or against Panarin, this is pretty clear. And in fact, those who want to sign him, should be even more in agreement with this, because clearly they should view him as a game changer to want to invest so much.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Actually, that was part of my assertion in my post. Regardless, the argument you are making is apples to oranges. Chicago had Toews and Kane. The Pens had Malkin and Crosby. Hossa and Kessel were brought in as supplemental players.

Gaborik wasn't meant to be a supplemental offensive player. He was 'the guy.' Panarin will be the #1 offensive player on this team when he is brought in. Also, their cap hits are much different. Hossa was on a rigged contract. Kessel is at 6.8 per year.

When you sign a guy to 11 Mil per year, who will be your #1 offensive player, you are changing the dynamic of the team. He will undoubtedly be one of two or three players you are building the squad around.

I don't really understand how anyone can argue differently.

Whether your for or against Panarin, this is pretty clear. And in fact, those who want to sign him, should be even more in agreement with this, because clearly they should view him as a game changer to want to invest so much.

Kessels 6.8M/year allowed them to bring in superstars like Eric Fehr and Jack Johnson with the savings they got over having him at 8-9M or whatever. I don't think that really matters.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

I actually think Hanks gonna get traded at the deadline

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think there could be some rumblings between Hank and JD. I would not be surprised if there is a rift between the teams goals and Hanks goals(a new contract). JD comes across as someone who will do the right thing and if it means clashing with Hank so be it. My guess is Hank forces a move.

Based on what exactly?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Erik Karlsson is flat out not a good idea. Too many injury issues. I wouldn't be surprised if Henrik is pushing this but Henrik's at the tail end of his career--he in no way should be part of personnel decisions. We're no longer building the team around him and it's not his job and if he pushes on this that should be made clear to him.

Any case I don't think it will be very easy moving Henrik. He'll be 38 next year--with a huge cap hit and he's declining. It's not like he's a terrible goalie--he's more like an average goalie. There's no future just a large cap hit to pay. Why would a team trade for him and if a team did expect to have to retain and don't expect much of a return.

Reactions: Faceless

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I hope to God they don't move DeAngelo. Him and Fox on the right side, growing and developing would be a HUGE positive for this team moving forward with their ability to stretch the ice and transition the forwards to offense. Go find a solid RD who can PK and you have a right side that may be able to chip in 100 points collectively which is outstanding.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016

We also could lose Georgie in the expansion draft right?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

JD has no allegiance to Lundqvist. He respects him but JD has been somewhere else for the last 13 years.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Agree w Edge. Is the board too young to remember the pre-lockout days? Let's ask Manny Malholtra how expectations impacted young development.

Pass on all the big names. Sign 1-2 veterans with right leadership / character attributes to plug holes in roster. Done

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We need to be a lottery team for one more yr... yes there’s no guarantee that we win it... we’ve already had 2 years of those posts. What we don’t have is the other blue chip prospect we (and other Stanley Cup winners had) need.

Last edited:
Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
We need to be a lottery team for one more yr... yes there’s no guarantee that we win it... we’ve already had 2 years of those posts. What we don’t have is the other blue chip prospect we (and other Stanley Cup winners have) need.

We don’t need to win the lottery, we just need to be in the top seven. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Agree w Edge. Is the board too young to remember the pre-lockout days? Let's ask Manny Malholtra how expectations impacted young development.

Pass on all the big names. Sign 1-2 veterans with right leadership / character attributes to plug holes in roster. Done

Manny Malhotra expectations were obviously out of line from the start given that he never even had a big offensive season in Junior. In his two years he was 7th on the team in scoring both times.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Based on what exactly?

I think JD will put the teams goals ahead of any equity Hank has built up as a great Ranger. So limited games..JD already mentioned 50 games with 30 wins...and of course riding the hot goalie...all these will wear Hank down and emotionally he can't accept it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Kessels 6.8M/year allowed them to bring in superstars like Eric Fehr and Jack Johnson with the savings they got over having him at 8-9M or whatever. I don't think that really matters.

I don't mean to sound rude, but this response to my post and the one I quoted has really nothing to do with the general points being made (either by me or @kovazub94).

I also find these types of arguments really strange. considering we just went through a ten year span where we literally spent off-seasons trying to figure out how to create 1-2M in extra cap space to fit a team under the limit.

If Panarin signs at 11Mil Per, it will be 4.2 million more than Kessel. That's an enormous difference. It was just something I was pointing out to further expose that the situations with Chicago signing Hossa and the Pens getting Kessel are really not comparable to the one in which the Rangers sign Panarin this off-season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't mean to sound rude, but this response to my post and the one I quoted has really nothing to do with the general points being made (either by me or @kovazub94).

I also find these types of arguments really strange. considering we just went through a ten year span where we literally spent off-seasons trying to figure out how to create 1-2M in extra cap space to fit a team under the limit.

If Panarin signs at 11Mil Per, it will be 4.2 million more than Kessel. That's an enormous difference. It was just something I was pointing out to further expose that the situations with Chicago signing Hossa and the Pens getting Kessel are really not comparable to the one in which the Rangers sign Panarin this off-season.

My point is that the problem with finding cap space isn't signing good players to expensive deals. It's wasting money on 4th liners/3rd pairing defenders who you can likely get on ELC's or very cheap veteran deals and then just like that you can easily afford to pay top guys. Don't pay the guys like Fast, Namestnikov, Vesey and the like and just like that you can easily afford good players even if it's a bit expensive.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
31 Thoughts podcast. Elliotte Friedman believes Karlsson wants to play in TB. He will have to accept less than Hedman to make it work financially. Elliotte thinks Karlsson will have surgery for his groin injury. He says he hears mixed things on the Rangers and Karlsson. Some say yes. Some say no.

Judging by JD’s comments. No way.

No state income tax allows Karlsson to make it work in TB.

TB only has two D signed for big money next season. Hedman and McDonagh. Sergachev and Cernak. Last year of their ELC’s.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Not in cap %. Kessels contract was 12.44% of the cap when he signed in Toronto. Panarin is an all-around better player but I think his number will be around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad