Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Honestly I think those runs were more of the variety which always came up short due to the roster of the other team who eliminated them just overwhelming the Rangers roster where even Lundqvist could not mitigate the difference in skater quality.

But I think that's part of the problem. We consistently dismiss any success we have and downplay it.

It's like we go in with the preconceived notion and then make the evidence fit the narrative we decided on.

If that roster is just a little bit healthier in LA, or certain guys aren't banged up --- that's a very different outcome.

I didn't see a team get overwhelmed against LA, or against Tampa, or even against NJ. I saw a team that was a healthy McD away, or a Rick Nash hot streak away, or some other fairly attainable difference away.

This team played A LOT of playoff hockey from 2012-2015 --- 57 games in total.

Frankly, this team could've beat LA.

Reactions: jas

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
And this manifestation in reality is what will separate this rebuild from being successful in theory to actually yielding positive, tangible results. Hell, they haven’t even added two of their most skilled prospects yet from the last draft and are developing some nice niche role players in Hartford.

The kids are hungry and want to win hockey games. I genuinely don’t understand how that can be viewed in any form of a negative light.

This was always my issue with the concept of a rebuild tied completely to a top 1-2 pick. There are way too many variables involved in that happening from team play, to injuries, to trades, down to pure luck. I don't think the front office thinks this - sure they'd love the top overall pick but I'm sure they know the reality of it. But fans who hitched their wagon to this concept is something else. And you're seeing it now.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The Rangers should re-sign Hayes. Give him 7 years and $6M.

Re-sign Zuccarello too. 8 years and $24M. Front load the contract so he gets $20M in the first 5 years.

Re-sign Kreider this July 1. Same contract as Hayes.

The Rangers don’t need Chytil and Andersson. Gorton can use them as chips. Trade one of them and the Rangers 1st in June to rent Panarin. The Rangers sign Panarin to an 8 year extension. He will be on active roster at the trading deadline so he can get 8 years. $85M.

Trade whichever player is left from Andersson and Chytil for immediate help.

The Rangers will have Zibanejad, Hayes and Howden in the middle.

The cap is supposed to go up to $84M-$85M this summer if the players go with the full 5%.

Quinn keeps comparing Lundqvist to Brady. Hank has another good 6 more years left.

Trade Shestyorkin. The Rangers don’t need him with Lundqvist playing until he is 45. They also have that great 2nd round pick goalie from Sweden. They don’t need Igor.

Forget about the rebuilding.

Quinn says the Rangers are building and growing.
You've had very strong, reactionary, doom and gloom posts after each of these recent wins. I think you are just mad about the extra 8 points and not so much about Zuccarello, Hayes and Spooner still here on November 7th.

I'd rather have last night's scoresheet, dominated by 25 year olds and younger, than a one goal loss where the only performers were the older guys on the way out. At least the future core is improving.

Reactions: SA16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This team will end up finishing bottom 7.

Even with their "hot steak" they're in 10th with more games played than everyone behind them. There are teams behind them who won't stay there. They've been relatively injury free and have had a very, very soft schedule.

Ya'll need to keep calm....

And trade Zucc.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think as the salary cap league matures, there will be some different ways to win cups. Players are now getting bigger numbers in their second contracts before they are truly ready to be leaders for their teams. Yeah, they may put up a lot of points, but it takes a few "kicks at the can" (Sorry, couldn't help myself) before a team is ready to win. Look at Washington, how may times did they fail before they won their cup. Do you (not you in particular) think that Toronto is going to get that many chances with the impending Salary Cap crunch, what about Winnipeg? It looks like they are going to have last year and this year before having to reset a bit.

Maybe the way going forward is going to he 12 deep up front and 6 deep on the back end and go more balanced than top heavy.

But what do I know?

At least I can more or less follow your train of thought there, perhaps the teams who win future cups are built differently.

However I think the Leafs can probably going forward lose some of that cap crunch through trade and bring back good support players and maybe even good futures to complement their core now and going forward. That seems like a pretty advantageous position to be in... having too much good youth some of which is elite or can be moved for cheaper yet still effective stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia