Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wasn't in the locker room but it really seemed like this team is trying to identify new leadership. The accountability that Quinn is trying to cultivate is a response to the AV era that, good or bad, Nash seemed to personify. He worked hard and was hard on himself, but it ended there. He wasn't challenging other guys, he wasn't getting fired up about bad play. That page turned because this organization wants a new culture.

Look at quotes from the Bruin rookies last year. They were shocked at how hard the most talented guys worked in practice. They expected one of the top lines in the league to put less effort in, it would be the fringe guys fighting for a spot. No, Bergeron, Marchand and Pasternak work the hardest and then use that as leverage to challenge the rest.

Blake Wheeler shocked Laine with his work ethic. He fought a teammate in practice to change the tempo. Argue with the method but you can't argue the results.

Will LA be that guy? He hates losing. Work on how you manifest those frustrations, don't throw your medal for example, but don't change who you are. Can LA be that guy with elder statesman controlling the room? This team must move forward.

I think this team is in a transition period with regards to leadership. I think the next crop of leaders is knocking on the door --- Andersson, Howden, etc. I also think the Rangers are looking at several guys to see if they are capable of filling those roles --- Kreider, Zibanejad, Fast, Hayes, etc.

Ideally, Andersson is the type of personality this team has lacked for a very long time. He'll challenge people, he'll push people and he's a natural leader. We talk about his potential as a player, but I also think they're looking for him to be more than that. I think kids like Howden and Miller have the potential to be guys who emerge as leaders in the locker room. But it's going to take time.

This transition period was needed and it was one of the primary reasons I wasn't keen on bringing back guys we shipped out at the TDL. Frankly, there are a few guys still on the roster who I am not convinced are part of this team's leadership core going forward. So I think more changes are coming.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Gorton needs to continue cleaning house. Nothing more needs to be said.

He also needs to avoid free agency. Shattenkirk and Smith have been stink bombs. I know Smith was acquired in a trade from the Wings. Gorton re-signed him to avoid losing him in free agency.

The same people who want Panarin and the rest are the same people who wanted Shattenkirk who is awful. Is he still hurt? I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He should not be playing if he is hurt.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The transition was def needed. I felt like the whole team had gotten stale for 2-3 seasons. I'm glad that everyone seemed to like each other, but I always felt that something was missing. It just became very hard to watch when you couple that with diminishing talent due to roster moves/no draft classes. I'm very happy to see that Gorton appears to value some guys with fire like LA.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
The same people who want Panarin and the rest are the same people who wanted Shattenkirk who is awful.

First off broad assumptions and generalizations dont help any discussion. Didn’t want Shattenkirk, never wanted Shatty, but I absolutely want Breadman.

Secondly, because Shattenkirk is awful that means Panarin will be a bust? Flawless logic there. Thirdly, in what world or what time were these two guys ever considered close in terms of talent level or impact? Even in Shattenkirk’s prime he was never close to the player Panarin is right now.

It’s not clear as SIGN ALL THE UFAS or NO UFAS. It’s almost like they should be judged on an individual basis.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Gorton needs to continue cleaning house. Nothing more needs to be said.

He also needs to avoid free agency. Shattenkirk and Smith have been stink bombs. I know Smith was acquired in a trade from the Wings. Gorton re-signed him to avoid losing him in free agency.

The same people who want Panarin and the rest are the same people who wanted Shattenkirk who is awful. Is he still hurt? I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt here. He should not be playing if he is hurt.

I forgot Shattenkirk was on the damn team lol!!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
How can you even accurately judge Shattenkirk’s play? He played hurt when he did play last season (and when the cortisone shot he had was in full effect last season he played well) and has played ten games this season coming off knee surgery where the last game he played was in January. Has he been bad? Yeah but I think we should be giving him a bit more than ten games. So what’s the lesson here, never sign anyone because they may get hurt?

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Shatty looks slow and is playing with no confidence. Obviously hope he turns it around, but a lot of D men are playing better.

Seems to me ADA and Pionk are the ones driving the play from their own end. Skjei a little bit as well. Rangers older D men are hell bent on dumping it in. They don't even try to make a play. How many times have you seen Staal, Smith or Shatty rush to gain the red line and just dump it in when they had options. I have, a ton. Pionk, ADA and Skjei at least try to make plays. I hope Miller and Lundkvist take notice.

I don't know how much of that is coaching, but man do I hope it's not part of Quinn. Rather let Pionk and ADA make mistakes trying than playing a simple game that any NHL D man can play.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I agree. I would stay away from all UFA signings beyond a one year stop-gap contract. We need to build this properly and save our cap space for when our own prospects need long term deals.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Could you imagine.....

Panarin - Zib - Zucc
Chytil - Anderson - Kakko
Kreider - Howden - Kravtsov
Vesey - Boo - Fast

Skjei - ADA
Pionk - Shatty
Staal - Smith

Hank
Shesty

Upgrade anywhere with Trades
Move Hayes
Move Buch
Move McQuaid

For Picks or Prospects. Sign Panarin,

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'd be happy to send Hayes to another team by Christmas break. Centers will always get their value on the market. Hayes has been showcasing his skills with the puck more and accomplishing less than ever before. It might be easier to trade him now as a big and strong 2/3C that can play EV, PP, and PK now when 2-1-3 in 11 games is easily explained by our basement team rather than trying to sell him off at 8-11-19 in February.

It does what uncle Larry says, open up a spot for Chad and give Fil more ice time as well. It's hard to believe an RFA 1 year UFA expiry deal was ever going to end up working out well.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Which will be when Shatty, Hank, Staal, Smith and Co all come off the books.

I understand that, but what happens IF we do get someone like Hughes or Kakko and for the first time ever they turn into someone like Matthews and need an 11million dollar contract. What happens if Chytil and Andersson put up back to back 60pt seasons? If everything falls into place your looking at 3 big contracts there. What will Pionk command for a 5 year deal? ADA? Kravstov? We could be in cap hell if these guys actually developed into good players. And if that happens having Panarin on an over 30 contract worth 8 million could screw us.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How can you even accurately judge Shattenkirk’s play? He played hurt when he did play last season (and when the cortisone shot he had was in full effect last season he played well) and has played ten games this season coming off knee surgery where the last game he played was in January. Has he been bad? Yeah but I think we should be giving him a bit more than ten games. So what’s the lesson here, never sign anyone because they may get hurt?

I have nothing against signing UFAs when it makes sense to do so. Shatty never really made sense for us. Our biggest problem was that we couldn't defend, we couldn't keep the puck out of the net. Signing a guy whose value is mostly on the power play doesn't fix that. We can certainly blame AV's system for many of those defensive problems, but we still needed a shutdown guy more than we needed a PP QB. We still do.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this needs to be said.

we have perhaps the worst overall talent top to bottom in the league.

we have zero true 1st line forwards and zero 1st pair dmen.

when jesper fast is on your first line and your first pair D has any of our dmen on it, its bad.

and to make matters worse, one of our most talented dman cant dress for 2 weeks, seriously ?

lets be reality here. this team isnt very good.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
this needs to be said.

we have perhaps the worst overall talent top to bottom in the league.

we have zero true 1st line forwards and zero 1st pair dmen.

when jesper fast is on your first line and your first pair D has any of our dmen on it, its bad.

and to make matters worse, one of out most talented dman cant dress for 2 weeks, seriously ?

lets be reality here. this team isnt very good.

Mats Zuccarello is the 13th most productive RW over the last 3 years (PPG). Kreider is the 25th most productive LW over the last 3 years. As much as this team lacks a top tier player at any position, the idea that we don't have any 1st line forwards is false.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I have nothing against signing UFAs when it makes sense to do so. Shatty never really made sense for us. Our biggest problem was that we couldn't defend, we couldn't keep the puck out of the net. Signing a guy whose value is mostly on the power play doesn't fix that. We can certainly blame AV's system for many of those defensive problems, but we still needed a shutdown guy more than we needed a PP QB. We still do.

Shattenkirk isn't even the PP QB on the 1st unit. When the Rangers pull the goalie, they go with 5 forwards and Pionk. Shattenkirk is sitting on the bench. Waste of money.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I thought Brooks was a pro, but that article is just dumb, or he becomes desperate.

We all know the chance of a better return is higher at the deadline, when teams are loading for the playoffs.

And when it comes to Hayes and Zucc, I don't think the Rangers have made a decision yet, trade or keep.

Because there's no rush..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad