Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I mean they can pay him but it seems to me Hayes cares about the place he lives.

Winnipeg sucks, half the league thinks so
Of course, but they are a contender, will have a top6 spot for him and will be willing to pay terms acceptable to him. Again, how many of his preferred choices could do that?

Reactions: N9Y4R

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Henrik Lundqvist is 0-3-1 in his last four, with a 3.74 GAA and .897 save percentage over that span.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/29/it-took-two-delays-and-7-minutes-for-this-rangers-goal-to-count/

Lundqvist looked so dejected after the game yesterday.

He gave up an awful goal.

Kreider was lost on that play. Martinez went through him.

He got off to a terrific start. Quinn said last week Lundqvist is dealing with an upper body issue. It's not serious enough for him not to play but it's still there. He had a nagging lower body injury last season. He played through it for most of the season.

The goalie equipment changed this season. They made the chest protector smaller and many of the goalies have complained about it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Could Hank realistcally bring back a top prospect?

Its hard to say 'never' with NHL GMs but my guess is that he would be very hard to move. You need to find a good team with cap space that needs a goalie, and is willing to take on a lot of term.

And if you do find that team, it needs to be a team that Hank wants to go to.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Its hard to say 'never' with NHL GMs but my guess is that he would be very hard to move. You need to find a good team with cap space that needs a goalie, and is willing to take on a lot of term.

And if you do find that team, it needs to be a team that Hank wants to go to.

THe only fit I can see at the moment is STL. I think the fans of them believe that Allen is costing them games, and if we take on half of Hanks salary and take Allen back the cap would be roughly same for both parts. That if Hank wants to play there, and they will pay us a fair price for him.

Reactions: bernmeister

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I don't really see it... I think the trading him option has long sailed. He's too old now and has stated consistently that he wants to be here

Stranger things have happened, but I just can't see it

Reactions: Crease

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Now 27 line change combinations in 10 games...wasn't AV criticized heavily for that kind of stuff?! Moving Chytil back and forth to wing now center. Hopefully not with Mcleod or other 4th liners as his linemates. Leave the kid at center please for the year and see what he can do at his natural position. Jeeez

I've said it before and I will say it again: AV was criticized for stuff every coach does all the time. Line juggling, putting the wrong players out there to defend the lead, demoting young players after making 1 mistake, but not doing the same with veterans.

All coaches do this.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Red Sox, Caps, and Eagles are reigning champs in their respective sports. The Knicks are going to be awful again this year. The Giants are a tire fire. The Rangers are blowing leads and finding way to lose games. Defeat from the jaws of victory. Blew a 2-0 lead yesterday. Blew three different leads against Carolina. Blew a lead vs. Washington.

The Rangers are going to be a bottom five team. This year is rock bottom before they can ascend from darkness a bit. Imagine if one or two teams that finish ahead of them win the lottery and jump the Rangers out of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Byram, and Podkolzin territory. Things will go nuclear here. Misery all around.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Red Sox, Caps, and Eagles are reigning champs in their respective sports. The Knicks are going to be awful again this year. The Giants are a tire fire. The Rangers are blowing leads and finding way to lose games. Defeat from the jaws of victory. Blew a 2-0 lead yesterday. Blew three different leads against Carolina. Blew a lead vs. Washington.

The Rangers are going to be a bottom five team. This year is rock bottom before they can ascend from darkness a bit. Imagine if one or two teams that finish ahead of them win the lottery and jump the Rangers out of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Byram, and Podkolzin territory. Things will go nuclear here. Misery all around.

Last April people said the Rangers should have won more games, to get into Carolina's spot for the draft lottery and end up drafting 2nd overall. I love this hindsight is 20/20 wisdom

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

If the Rangers are bottom 5 they'll be almost guaranteed to get one of those guys.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think so... just look at the contract Girardi got from TB.... is it likely... Idk... but it is possible

The thing with Girardi was mostly term and Staal has 2 years left after this season. I could see it, but I think Girardi is an overall better player than Staal at the moment.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So, kind of like it is right now...? ;)
Actually I think this place was a lot more insufferable when we were contending for a Cup from 2014 to 2016ish. Everyone down each other's throats and the sky was falling after every loss. It's funny how things change. Back then the team was playing poorly and were eeking out wins. Now the team plays poorly and loses. It's all about expectations.

I find this place much more enjoyable now that I did back then, actually. Most of us expected this team to be terrible, and are looking ahead optimistically to the future, but one can't help to feel that the infamous Rangers bad luck will strike again and hurt us somehow.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The NHL tried to fix the issue of Edmonton winning the lottery so often. So they changed the odds. The odds weren't the problem exactly. An NHL tank isn't a one and done deal. Its 3 years of top 5 picks. They were rewarding tanks by allowing teams like Edmonton to linger at the bottom for so many years.

The solution would have been something based on the Crosby draft. Odds based on past performance. If you were last place you start at 50%. Take away 5% for each year you picked bottom 5 in the previous 3 or 4 years. Apply a weighted formula to the other bottom 5 finishes.

Typical NHL to address a problem with another problem. Don't want to lose assistant coaches and assistant GMs that you developed for years with nothing in return? Here's a draft pick for a fired executive. Now Edmonton gets a generational player and we could draft 4th with our first last place finish in the draft era.

True Blue took a beating for floating out a quasi conspiracy theory, but I don't put it past this league. They want talent in the small markets. All about the national TV deal. The rangers will make bank regardless, gotta keep Arizona afloat. Toronto won Matthews, I'll concede. But former league executive Shanahan walked up to that stage. Be prepared to drop 2 spots. Odds are there, conspiracy or not.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

So glad I didn’t end up a Jets or Giants fan right now :laugh: The Chiefs are all I have, although the Nets could make something happen next summer.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
I really just hope this season ends with Hughes pulling on a Rangers sweater at the draft.

Feel like he would have a similar impact here that Kane had on the Hawks way back when.

Draft Hughes and sign Panarin and this season will be all worth it.

Fall out of the top 5 and miss out on Panarin? That would be abject misery.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
Lots of bad habits. I imagine lots of dissent in locker room originating from unwritten understanding that many faces are soon to be gone. The combination, im afraid, is not a great way to foster the development of Chytil and Howden and even Buch... Certainly not an environment to introduce more inexperience (i.e. Lias, Hajek, whomever else). We have 4th liners playing top 6 minutes and AHLers playing, period...

This team right now could really, really use a Rick Nash-like player, and i dont hesitate to say that right about now id love to see them add Rick Nash. Say what you want about him but he's a two-way, hard working player who can clog up some spots being under-filled and add a positive presence to the room.

NY Lito

Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Lots of bad habits. I imagine lots of dissent in locker room originating from unwritten understanding that many faces are soon to be gone. The combination, im afraid, is not a great way to foster the development of Chytil and Howden and even Buch... Certainly not an environment to introduce more inexperience (i.e. Lias, Hajek, whomever else). We have 4th liners playing top 6 minutes and AHLers playing, period...

This team right now could really, really use a Rick Nash-like player, and i dont hesitate to say that right about now id love to see them add Rick Nash. Say what you want about him but he's a two-way, hard working player who can clog up some spots being under-filled and add a positive presence to the room.
Doesn’t help that there’s inexperience behind the bench either.

Reactions: Ndurpressure

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

I'll be very surprised if Nash plays again. He's had multiple concussions already. He should be thinking of his future quality of life at this point.

Reactions: Ndurpressure

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Roslovic + 1st for Hayes and someone like Day would be ideal for me. Roslovic is practically a blue chipper, and getting the first round pick by sweetening the deal with Day who has no future here seemingly and can help us capitalize more on a Hayes selloff. Zucc and Namestnikov to Edmonton for Puljujarvi, Lucic w/ retention + pick. Spooner ++ for Gurianov at the deadline for Dallas' playoff push.
Oh god that Edm trade.... no.... just no

Reactions: DutchShamrock

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I wasn't in the locker room but it really seemed like this team is trying to identify new leadership. The accountability that Quinn is trying to cultivate is a response to the AV era that, good or bad, Nash seemed to personify. He worked hard and was hard on himself, but it ended there. He wasn't challenging other guys, he wasn't getting fired up about bad play. That page turned because this organization wants a new culture.

Look at quotes from the Bruin rookies last year. They were shocked at how hard the most talented guys worked in practice. They expected one of the top lines in the league to put less effort in, it would be the fringe guys fighting for a spot. No, Bergeron, Marchand and Pasternak work the hardest and then use that as leverage to challenge the rest.

Blake Wheeler shocked Laine with his work ethic. He fought a teammate in practice to change the tempo. Argue with the method but you can't argue the results.

Will LA be that guy? He hates losing. Work on how you manifest those frustrations, don't throw your medal for example, but don't change who you are. Can LA be that guy with elder statesman controlling the room? This team must move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad