Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’d try to trade Kakko for Guhle at the draft.
Montreal needs fwds/center and has a stockpile of young talented D.
Kakko had a injury riddled/bad year, has untapped potential and likely won’t sign anything beyond a year or 2 if there is no assurance he’ll get top 6 min and special teams time.

Guhle had a typical sophomore slump for a big D.
He wasn’t as good as he showed in his 1st season, similar to Schneider in that way. Still a young kid who played more min of competitive nhl hockey the. Ever before and you can see it. Imo he has the size/talent to have legitimate 1st pair potential.

I love Kakko, but if he wants a bigger role and isn’t in the long range plans via signing a short term deal I pull the trigger at the draft.

A top 4 of
Guhle-Fox
Miller-Schneider

Is nasty and will be for years. Resign Lindgren 4-5 years no clauses. When Guhle makes the jump maybe halfway thru next year, they could drop Lindgren to 3rd pair with jones, or trade him 2-3 years into that contract.

Gorton drafted Kakko. Gotta think he’s got a soft spot for him.
He’d do well on a wing opposite slaf or caufield
no.
upside of KK already has chem w/Cuylle, they jjust need a pivot >>> Guhle, who is a good target, but not for KK\

Reactions: mas0764

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There is no reason to believe atp that either KK or Guhle would not sign here long-ish term as long as you don't insult w/proper $ offer.
Guhle has 1yr left on ELC and then will sign a 2nd contract similar to the 1 Kakko is about to finish.

Kakko likely taking less term so he can have more of a say/closer to UFA

Guhle is younger/has more control/currently cheaper/and plays D ( which NYR doesn’t have a lot of)
Opposed to wing where we do have a lot in the system.

We know Cuylle/Kakko have chem….
But how much better is it the Cuylle/Berard for cheaper or
Cuylle/othmann or
Cuylle/chmelar or
Cuylle/sykora or

+ Guhle

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let's all remember 1 more thing...

Bruins might force Leafs' early rnd 1 exit.... = shit hit the fan for real in TOR
while there is an argument AM is the LAST guy you move
he is also the first guy who returns SO much, you can be slightly ahead short term w/1-2 future pieces.

on OUTSIDE chance moving Matthews is entertained:

presume LaF + for Guhle + Reinbacher ++

Zib
bread
Gabe P
Shesty
Lindgren
2024 + 2026 1sts

that's 4 immediate contributors + 3 futures
is that the best offer?
unclear, given high competitive bidding, but it is a finalist

--------------------

Kreider - Matthews - Berard/Rempe
Edstrom/Othmann - Tro - Berard/Eds/
Cuyle - Chytil/Edstrom - KK
Goodrow - Brodz - Vesey

keep Rosz.
add Guh
Guh- Fox
KAM - Schneid
Scanlin - Barron [part of other deal for Robertson +]
Gust

somethin like dat

Reactions: egelband

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba 99% has all of Canada in his MNTC.
Seeing how Buffalo is basically almost Canada from a geographic standpoint it’s prob not a stretch to think they are on his list
The rumor was that Trouba had Canada on his ntc, because his father is barred from entering Canada.
Not sure how much validity to it, but that was the rumor I’d heard before he was traded to us.

• Wow
Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Guhle has 1yr left on ELC and then will sign a 2nd contract similar to the 1 Kakko is about to finish.

Kakko likely taking less term so he can have more of a say/closer to UFA

Guhle is younger/has more control/currently cheaper/and plays D ( which NYR doesn’t have a lot of)
Opposed to wing where we do have a lot in the system.

We know Cuylle/Kakko have chem….
But how much better is it the Cuylle/Berard for cheaper or
Cuylle/othmann or
Cuylle/chmelar or
Cuylle/sykora or

+ Guhle
I get this specific area is subjective with min of objective weight for anyone.
That said
IMO
KK is a restrained beast w/huge upside potential.
At this pt he is not a self starter
but kid line success w/inferior earlier LaF suggests w/correct linemates production will take hold and grow
wanna see if Chytil can come back

again, IF IF IF we put LaF up w/understanding it is only for top top $
MON has to think
and HAS to consider if Leafs/Sens/'nucks/Flames/Jets made a better offer, could they live with that?

I mean yeah, there is a pt where too much being asked = gut the team = not worth it, but presuming the ask stops short of that and it is only overpay, and in currency for which they have a surplus, you correctly suggest we compare costs and returns.

If Martians kidnapped LaF, Othmann steps in.
Same w/KK.
So it is a ? of return

Do it my way, and then in 1.5 yrs you get Reinbacher, who I see having Brian Leetch lite upside.
But you don't get a guy like that later
you have to be smart and disciplined to poach him now

Call me superstitious but I’m hesitant to discuss trading our captain in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the better shots at a cup in the last decade
cue up Stevie Wonder ...
"very superstitious..."

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Here’s one to file away for the summer. Jacob Trouba and Bowen Bynam as key parts of a trade with the Sabres.
If he would go to Buffalo, what about Samuelsson?

I see us landing a top4LHD in a separate trade or a 3way.

I’m still on the Chychrun train. Theodore would be great as well. Sell Trouba to the highest bidder, there should be a decent return if not similar to what we paid imo.

Reactions: mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I’m still on the Chychrun train. Theodore would be great as well. Sell Trouba to the highest bidder, there should be a decent return if not similar to what we paid imo.

He makes Chychrun look like Cal Ripken Jr in terms of durability.

Plus he isn't good and not the type of D I'd want. Theodore would be an ideal fit but I imagine there would be a ton of teams in on him.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

OTT fans haven’t painted a pretty picture of chychrun.
They say he can rip the puck with the best of them, but that’s all he really does above ordinary.
Not physical, injury plagued, not great in transition, etc….
There are better options out there imo.
Chych has also never played on a winning team. He’s not a guy that I would personally pay an awful lot to acquire…..
Seeing what the sens had to give up for him, they’ll likely want a hefty return as well.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I get this specific area is subjective with min of objective weight or anyone.
That said
IMO
KK is a restrained beast w/huge upside potential.
At this pt he is not a self starter
but kid line success w/inferior earlier LaF suggests w/correct linemates production will take hold and grow
wanna see if Chytil can come back

again, IF IF IF we put LaF up w/understanding it is only for top top $
MON has to think
and HAS to consider if Leafs/Sens/'nucks/Flames/Jets made a better offer, could they live with that?

I mean yeah, there is a pt where too much being asked = gut the team = not worth it, but presuming the ask stops short of that and it is only overpay, and in currency for which they have a surplus, you correctly suggest we compare costs and returns.

If Martians kidnapped LaF, Othmann steps in.
Same w/KK.
So it is a ? of return

Do it my way, and then in 1.5 yrs you get Reinbacher, who I see having Brian Leetch lite upside.
But you don't get a guy like that later
you have to be smart and disciplined to poach him now

cue up Stevie Wonder ...
"very superstitious..."
Them trading Reinbacher would be like us trading Fox.
It makes no sense and is not a realistic target.
Therefore a waste of oxygen.

Not too mention that above line up is pure unadulterated EA fantasy type nonsense.
Your trades would dismantle years of work the team has done for guys like Matthews/Reinbacher who aren’t realistic trade targets to begin with.

Teams competing for the cup IE Tor don’t trade their art ross winning captain and face of the franchise.

Rebuilding teams like Habs don’t trade cornerstone top 5 picks.
Slaf/Reinbacher are non starters

Reactions: noncents

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He makes Chychrun look like Cal Ripken Jr in terms of durability.

Plus he isn't good and not the type of D I'd want. Theodore would be an ideal fit but I imagine there would be a ton of teams in on him.
Chychrun played 82 games…. Maybe that narrative dies down a bit from his detractors. But I get it.

Lindgren has been much better defensively but he still is a murderer on offense

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Chychrun played 82 games…. Maybe that narrative dies down a bit from his detractors. But I get it.

Lindgren has been much better defensively but he still is a murderer on offense

Lindgren is ass and should be moved.

I just wouldn’t replace him with a bigger, less durable version of himself. That’s what Samuelson would be.

Chychrun would be an upgrade. Theodore would be an even bigger one.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Call me superstitious but I’m hesitant to discuss trading our captain in the middle of what is supposed to be one of the better shots at a cup in the last decade
Plus all the potential moves really depend on how the Rangers fares in the playoffs. Going on a deep run (or … the way) will result in keeping all the pieces as much as possible

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Them trading Reinbacher would be like us trading Fox.
It makes no sense and is not a realistic target.
Therefore a waste of oxygen.

Not too mention that above line up is pure unadulterated EA fantasy type nonsense.
Your trades would dismantle years of work the team has done for guys like Matthews/Reinbacher who aren’t realistic trade targets to begin with.

Teams competing for the cup IE Tor don’t trade their art ross winning captain and face of the franchise.

Rebuilding teams like Habs don’t trade cornerstone top 5 picks.
Slaf/Reinbacher are non starters
If competing teams want to continue to compete, they understand going full all in win now will cannibalize youth and shorten the window
Shortening the window = epic strategy fail

Inclined to otherwise agree about MPN not dealing a 5OA, but here they are getting back a 1OA
that IS a factor

Also like I said if enuf overpay in desired currency, Rs move LaF
Habs MUST be in on that and decline ONLY if too much

arguably you don't trade Joe DiMaggio for Ted Williams
but IF you can overpay and still do it otherwise, it is considered

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Trouba 99% has all of Canada in his MNTC.
Seeing how Buffalo is basically almost Canada from a geographic standpoint it’s prob not a stretch to think they are on his list

Trouba grew up four hours from Buffalo. It's not a stretch to think maybe he'd like to play close to home.

See? I can make shit up too. Nobody knows, probably not even Trouba at this point, who is on his 15 team list. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been asked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad