Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If I was the GM, I'd have never given Troubs that contract to begin with.

But that 8 mil cap hit has to be gone, come FA this summer.

Kreider, they'll keep him. Too much history and identification.

Trouba's NMC changes on July 1st. We can't get a 2024 1st for him.
That Trouba contr Looked fine when it was signed pre Covid.

Anyone saying otherwise is full of it.
Trouba looked like a 2d who could eat heavy minutes. It was gonna hurt while we were tanking but then be cost effective when we were competing but the cap stayed flat.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I was looking at Tampa, either at the deadline or in the offseason. Goodrow @ 2 mil for Sheary. Neither are putting up points this year. Goodrow is the bigger player and a good penalty killer, Sheary doesn't kill penalties.

Goodrow has 3 years left and Sheary has 2 years. With us retaining on Goodrow, the cap hits are the same. We can then bury Sheary if needed or buy him out.

Cap hits with Sheary on team:

2024-25: 3,641,667
2025-26: 3,641,667
2026-27: 1,641,667

Cap hits with Sheary in Hartford:

2024-25: 2,491,667
2025-26: 2,466,667
2026-27: 1,641,667

Cap hits with Sheary bought out this summer:

2024-25: 2,225,000
2025-26: 2,725,000
2026-27: 2,225,000
2027-28: 583,333

Cap hits with Sheary bought out in summer of 25:

2025-26: 2,641,667
2026-27: 2,141,667

Cap hits with Goodrow bought out this summer:

2024-25: -247,222
2025-26: 1,002,778
2026-27: 3,502,778
2027-28: 1,111,111
2028-29: 1,111,111
2029-30: 1,111,111

Cap hits with Goodrow bought out in summer of 25:

2025-26: 725,000
2026-27: 3,225,000
2027-28: 833,333
2028-29: 833,333

A Goodrow buyout this summer saves us the most over the next 2 years, but we'll be stuck with cap penalties for 6 years. Sheary in Hartford saves us 1.15 mil, 1.175 mil, and 2 mil, respectively, over the next 3 years. Of course, we could stick Goodrow in Hartford and get the same savings in years 1 and 2, but maybe we can turn Sheary into an asset that some other team will want @ 2 mil.

Who are our spares on defense in that scenario?

This is a great idea

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Tommy Novak is a good player, but it’s a pretty small sample size even with this being his third year in the league, he’s only played 126 games in the NHL.

Almost feels like Nashville selling him at his ultimate high.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Not a good look for us.

The underperformance of Kakko, Laf, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, and Chytil's injury are all killing us.

If we had hit on 75% of them we would be cup favorites. Instead even with Laf playing like he is, this checklist is bad for us.

My takeaway:

They need Panarin, Shesterkin, and Fox to stay elite. They need Chytil to return and be good. They need Kakko and Laf to keep progressing, they need Perrault to arrive and be a hit. They need Cuylle, Othmann, Berard, et al to be bottom six quality depth.

They need to swing big in the offseason, move out Zibanejad, Trouba, and Goodrow, and find a 1C and a 1D, ie, Chychrun and an Eichel type.

Then they are cup favorites.

I think a Chychrun could be obtained, albeit painfully.

The 1C is gonna be hard. You have to talk Mika into waiving and find the high upside center that wants out or has stagnated in his current location.
To me, Laf is a checkmark. 3 years worth of data projects him out to be significantly worse in the playoffs. That wont be the case and one of the flaws of this model.

Kakko does a lot, but he will need to produce and come up with some big goals for the team in the dance. Cuylle should be replaced by a top winger, so that should become a check mark. But regardless, with Chytils injury - the forward depth is really struggling in this regard. A healthy Chytil, with the way he was projecting may have put them over the top. Dont discount how big of an injury that is for this team. For all we know, HE could be this teams #1 center at this point, or something near it. Even if hes a #2, now you have 3 of them in your lineup.

The biggest issues are Trouba & Mika. Especially Mika. He has the ability but hasnt been the player they signed that deal to. He does a lot of things well but ideally hes a 2nd line center. 4 years ago he had over 40 goals in the same amount of games and was a scoring machine. They need that player in the playoffs, or something similar if they are going to win it all - and it needs to be consistent. Thats doubtful and a huge knock on their chances. They say Drury needs to find a winger for him to "unlock his potential". Im doubtful there's a solution in that, Mika is who he is.

To me, this team is good enough to get to a conference final. They could go further if Igor goes into God mode again, but the sum of their parts really isnt championship calibre. They could inch themselves closer by adding the right players at the deadline, but I still dont think that can make up for their shortcomings.

Unfortunately, when the shit hits the fan in the playoffs and the level goes up 2 notches, its a different game and their weaknesses are exposed. I know a lot of fans are gonna be jazzed up come April, as they should - but the fans who are really paying attention know this team/core has flaws and they'll need a little more puck luck and good fortune to get to 16 wins.

I also think Drury knows this 100% and its why they moved heaven and earth to buy a lottery ticket in Kane in last year. I'd expect 2 or 3 players to reinforce things, but they just dont have enough cap space to make much of difference. Listen, anything is possible and ill be tuning in like everyone else. But on paper things just arent there right now.

For those who dont have the Athletic here is the chart and the basis:

Screenshot-2024-02-26-at-12.54.02 PM.png

Stanley Cup Checklist Legend

Red X: Falls below the range entirely

Gray checkmark: Passable, but below the average champion

Black checkmark: Above average relative to the average Cup winner

Gold checkmark: Exceeds the range entirely
Screenshot-2024-02-26-at-9.48.43 PM.png

Florida is the only team with all the boxes checked

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Oh man, what if you could liquidate Mika, Lindgren, Trouba, and Goodrow into the necessary assets to get Pettersson?

And then just sign Hanifin.

Kreider - Pettersson - Perrault
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Othmann - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Brodzinsko - Vesey/Berard/Sykora/Rempe/Edstrom

Hanifin - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Gustafsson - Jones/Robertson

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Tommy Novak is a good player, but it’s a pretty small sample size even with this being his third year in the league, he’s only played 126 games in the NHL.

Almost feels like Nashville selling him at his ultimate high.

He's going to hit UFA at a pretty young age (27). Considering his short career up to this point, what would he be expecting on his next deal? 4x4? 5x4? It could be an opportunity where the Rangers would be able to sign a player who is just entering his prime to a reasonable contract and fill their 3C hole for the foreseeable future if his contract demands are reasonable.

He could be looking for guaranteed long term contract, ala Trochek as well. He has made next to nothing so far in his career and he is about to turn 27. Would he accept a low cap hit, long term deal? Do the Rangers know the player from his NCAA days at Minnesota? This may make some sense in terms of long term need, age, etc

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
That Trouba contr Looked fine when it was signed pre Covid.

Anyone saying otherwise is full of it.
Trouba looked like a 2d who could eat heavy minutes. It was gonna hurt while we were tanking but then be cost effective when we were competing but the cap stayed flat.

No it didn't, folks were not full of it. I criticized the contract back then, and sure as hell wasn't the only one.

Then came years of whining and complaining about how shit he was, specially for the cap hit.
He looked like a 2nd D from afar, sure.

The contract only started looking good last season, when he became a freight train.

Overall, it did hurt us regarding the rebuild, but ultimately the rebuild was f***ed up anyhow.

Reactions: mas0764

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If you can move out Trouba for a first, you have some ammo.

Your tradeable assets are then:

- Your own 2024 first
- The Trouba 2024 first (edit: 2025 first I guess?)
- Your own 2025 first
- Lindgren
- Mika Zibanejad

You need a young 1C and a young first pair D. You can add a depth prospect like a BMB, Sykora, Berard, and Jones or Robertson to this as well.

Kreider - young 1C - Perrault
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Othmann - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Brodzinksi - Vesey/Berard/Sykora/Rempe/Edstrom

Young 1D - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Gustafsson - Jones/Robertson

That's a good effing team right there.

Let's talk targets. 1C and 1D who can be obtained for that list of assets, or what those assets would bring back themselves. Go.
Pettersson. He is the target if he’s available. And there are no untouchables aside from Fox in that scenario.

Reactions: Ail and mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
drop the trouba trade stuff, it isn't happening.

I really keep looking at roslovic in Columbus. speed and could look good as 3c and also plays rw. adds flexibility.

is Jake bean a guy they would consider bringing in as a 7 and possibly take gusto's spot next year if he doesn't resign?

kuraly is a player that would be valuable but his cap hit is no bueno, don't think they trade Goodrow in season but Goodrow for kuraly is something that could be a good move for nyr in the summer. similar players in the intangibles but kuraly is cheaper and deal is up in 2 years.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The opposite has also been publicly reported, so that simple fact is moot. It's the same as neither being reported.

We need a RD (1st) and a C (2nd) in the system, so I want to hold onto both picks. The 4, 5, & 6 are on the table, as is Jones, for a budget solution or two. If we do something splashy, then the 2025 1st is the only big chip we should consider moving, imo.
Are you sure? I've seen people on here doubt that it's true, but I haven't seen anyone actually refute it

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Pettersson. He is the target if he’s available. And there are no untouchables aside from Fox in that scenario.
but if you are van what are you actually taking from nyr? they wouldn't even want fox with Quinn there. I doubt they want Mika who has control of his situation. I just struggle to see it. When chytil was healthy I could have seen at a different time something like chytil, laffy, Schneider, and a 1st but that isn't happening anymore. chytil is damaged goods (hate for him personally what he is going through) and I would be surprised if he plays even till age 30 at this point. I am happy he got a big-ish contract that takes care of him for life prior to the injury.

Reactions: bernmeister

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The opposite has also been publicly reported, so that simple fact is moot. It's the same as neither being reported.

We need a RD (1st) and a C (2nd) in the system, so I want to hold onto both picks. The 4, 5, & 6 are on the table, as is Jones, for a budget solution or two. If we do something splashy, then the 2025 1st is the only big chip we should consider moving, imo.
AND the bigger thing her eis that NYR themselves could be slipping the nonsense about not wanting to trade the first just to up it's value in ways. If you claim something isn't available then when you make it available it makes the other party feel as though you gave in. Do people really think Dolan cares more about a draft pick in the sphere than the possibility to make millions of dollars on additional playoff revenue? Don't be stupid, Dolan is a businessman and he wants to make money...

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Still think we are outside looking in, in comparison to Florida and Toronto. We will see.
I think that's fair. Toronto is hit or miss for me with their goaltending, but their play as of late has them looking really dangerous. Florida is playing like the best team in the league this year, so I don't think anyone can go punch-for-punch with them right now.

Rangers just need to stay healthy and get their structure back after this long run. If they hit another dip now after the winning streak, it's better to get that out of the way than to be floundering in April. It really just comes down to staying healthy and Igor being Igor.

Reactions: mas0764

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If I was the GM, I'd have never given Troubs that contract to begin with.

But that 8 mil cap hit has to be gone, come FA this summer.

Kreider, they'll keep him. Too much history and identification.

Trouba's NMC changes on July 1st. We can't get a 2024 1st for him.

Also Kreider is still actually good, so that's a reason to keep him too.

Though I'd be listening, depends on the offers.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Give me an effing break with this Pettersson stuff. Some hot take merchant on Vancouver radio waiting for their teams first cold streak to say "uh oh Petey wants out". And of course our board eats it up because all we do is covet other team's players, despite the fact that we're lectured on "stockpiling assets" once a week if we dare to move the 28th overall pick. Blasphemy!

But I digress. To the people saying we are "fundamentally flawed", please stop. If we are, everyone is. I fully expect Drury to add a RW, C & D for reasonable costs. I like that we are in on Novak. I like that we are in on the Seattle guys. I can see our first going when push comes to shove but between our picks, Jones, Robertson, Berard, & Sykora, Drury can meaningfully improve the team's depth this year and next if he chooses.

Reactions: Ned Braden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad