Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Again, cap space will increase as we move forward

That doesn't do much with regards to signing players to extensions as their demands should go up proportionally. That is why they often measure contracts in percent of the cap. We don't need to be a team like the Blues that has almost zero flexibility because their entire roster is signed forever. Having guys who are rentals or have one extra year is fine.

Last edited:

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
You like it, or? Because the player is really good. (edit: you like it, good)

It would sting me deeply though, as we could have just drafted Necas ourselves, instead of f***ing Lias.

I have become a creamery with this news...

Please no Kak or Gabe.

Otter + Lindgren is the overpay we can afford as well as the key straight up deal which is spicy.

Necas could be the answer to all the Cuylle - not a 4th liner - Kakko prayers. Especially on the Kakko front. If that clicks we are the deepest team headed into the playoffs outside of maybe van.

We can also still get a Dman.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That doesn't do much with regards to signing players to extensions as their demands should go up proportionally. That is why they often measure contracts in percent of the cap. We don't need to be a team like the Blues that has almost zero flexibility because their entire roster is signed forever. Having guys who are rentals or have one extra year is fine.

If there is a massive need to move money out, as the team moves forward, opportunities will arise. Who is to say that the team re-signs Shesterkin? Or perhaps they decide to move on from Kreider and Trouba? Or perhaps they can find a team who will take on Goodrow at $2m so the cap hit penalty is smaller and shorter? There is a lot of uncertainty when moving out in time. I'm less concerned with finding money for the young guys

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If there is a massive need to move money out, as the team moves forward, opportunities will arise. Who is to say that the team re-signs Shesterkin? Or perhaps they decide to move on from Kreider and Trouba? Or perhaps they can find a team who will take on Goodrow at $2m so the cap hit penalty is smaller and shorter? There is a lot of uncertainty when moving out in time. I'm less concerned with finding money for the young guys

They may very well do those things but why force yourself into that situation by taking on a long term deal when you can just pay less and get someone here for a year or two? If we're talking about someone that's Elias Pettersson level that's a different story but if it's just your standard average 2nd line forward/3D I would not be interested in locking up the cap for a long time (that does go for Lindgren too but he's currently part of the organization and I'm not sure what they'll think).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They may very well do those things but why force yourself into that situation by taking on a long term deal when you can just pay less and get someone here for a year or two? If we're talking about someone that's Elias Pettersson level that's a different story but if it's just your standard average 2nd line forward/3D I would not be interested in locking up the cap for a long time (that does go for Lindgren too but he's currently part of the organization and I'm not sure what they'll think).

If you target the right guy, having him long term would be a good thing. Look at Trochek.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Don't gloss over the fact that it's been publicly reported that Dolan himself is putting pressure to keep our first rounder out of his own self interest. He's a part owner of the sphere in Vegas where the draft is being held. His little peepee wants his team to be apart of the spotlight. Personally, I salute the bozo because I'd like to keep our first this year as well
The opposite has also been publicly reported, so that simple fact is moot. It's the same as neither being reported.

We need a RD (1st) and a C (2nd) in the system, so I want to hold onto both picks. The 4, 5, & 6 are on the table, as is Jones, for a budget solution or two. If we do something splashy, then the 2025 1st is the only big chip we should consider moving, imo.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The opposite has also been publicly reported, so that simple fact is moot. It's the same as neither being reported.

We need a RD (1st) and a C (2nd) in the system, so I want to hold onto both picks. The 4, 5, & 6 are on the table, as is Jones, for a budget solution or two. If we do something splashy, then the 2025 1st is the only big chip we should consider moving, imo.
Jones id like to move for a prospect, not a short term rental.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I was looking at Tampa, either at the deadline or in the offseason. Goodrow @ 2 mil for Sheary. Neither are putting up points this year. Goodrow is the bigger player and a good penalty killer, Sheary doesn't kill penalties.

Goodrow has 3 years left and Sheary has 2 years. With us retaining on Goodrow, the cap hits are the same. We can then bury Sheary if needed or buy him out.

Cap hits with Sheary on team:

2024-25: 3,641,667
2025-26: 3,641,667
2026-27: 1,641,667

Cap hits with Sheary in Hartford:

2024-25: 2,491,667
2025-26: 2,466,667
2026-27: 1,641,667

Cap hits with Sheary bought out this summer:

2024-25: 2,225,000
2025-26: 2,725,000
2026-27: 2,225,000
2027-28: 583,333

Cap hits with Sheary bought out in summer of 25:

2025-26: 2,641,667
2026-27: 2,141,667

Cap hits with Goodrow bought out this summer:

2024-25: -247,222
2025-26: 1,002,778
2026-27: 3,502,778
2027-28: 1,111,111
2028-29: 1,111,111
2029-30: 1,111,111

Cap hits with Goodrow bought out in summer of 25:

2025-26: 725,000
2026-27: 3,225,000
2027-28: 833,333
2028-29: 833,333

A Goodrow buyout this summer saves us the most over the next 2 years, but we'll be stuck with cap penalties for 6 years. Sheary in Hartford saves us 1.15 mil, 1.175 mil, and 2 mil, respectively, over the next 3 years. Of course, we could stick Goodrow in Hartford and get the same savings in years 1 and 2, but maybe we can turn Sheary into an asset that some other team will want @ 2 mil.

Jones id like to move for a prospect, not a short term rental.
Who are our spares on defense in that scenario?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Not a good look for us.

The underperformance of Kakko, Laf, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, and Chytil's injury are all killing us.

If we had hit on 75% of them we would be cup favorites. Instead even with Laf playing like he is, this checklist is bad for us.

My takeaway:

They need Panarin, Shesterkin, and Fox to stay elite. They need Chytil to return and be good. They need Kakko and Laf to keep progressing, they need Perrault to arrive and be a hit. They need Cuylle, Othmann, Berard, et al to be bottom six quality depth.

They need to swing big in the offseason, move out Zibanejad, Trouba, and Goodrow, and find a 1C and a 1D, ie, Chychrun and an Eichel type.

Then they are cup favorites.

I think a Chychrun could be obtained, albeit painfully.

The 1C is gonna be hard. You have to talk Mika into waiving and find the high upside center that wants out or has stagnated in his current location.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Not a good look for us.

The underperformance of Kakko, Laf, Lindgren, Miller, Trouba, and Chytil's injury are all killing us.

If we had hit on 75% of them we would be cup favorites. Instead even with Laf playing like he is, this checklist is bad for us.
injuries are one of the reasons the cup is so tough.
I’ll look at it and say that Drury did construct a solid roster, and a solid coach. Injuries suck

Reactions: NYR Viper

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Not a good look for us.

My takeaway:

They need Panarin, Shesterkin, and Fox to stay elite. They need Chytil to return and be good. They need Kakko and Laf to keep progressing, they need Perrault to arrive and be a hit. They need Cuylle, Othmann, Berard, et al to be bottom six quality depth.

They need to swing big in the offseason, move out Zibanejad, Trouba, and Goodrow, and find a 1C and a 1D, ie, Chychrun and an Eichel type.

The 1C is gonna be hard. You have to talk Mika into waiving and find the high upside center that wants out or has stagnated in his current location.
I would think twice. Ottawa fans ready to dump him especially after last night. One of the worst players on the ice.
I would pass.

Reactions: surlysailor

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Not a good look for us.

My takeaway:

I'm sorry. I think I just had a small stroke. Did you say underperformance of Laf and Miller???? Lafreniere, who has been absolutely dominant, even if not on the score sheet and K'Andre Miller, who has greatly improved this year even if his offense is down a bit?

I legitimately can't take this seriously.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Not a good look for us.

My takeaway:

Your interpretation of this is incorrect, but it's because Shayna presented this terribly. Just change the roles around based on the actual ice time and it paints a completely different story. Trocheck plays more than Zibanejad, so he's in reality the 1C this year. Swap the two of them and you have checks for elite C and top-line C. Trouba as the number 1 D instead of Miller despite them basically having identical usage outside of Trouba's sporadic PP2 minutes is silly. There's another check there. Completely different narrative if the writing wasn't lazy.

Igor's numbers are also tanked by one abysmal month. If he maintains his trend and plays even somewhat close to his previous levels, there's another check there. The team is good. The roster will be fine with some upgrades around the margins, and yes, I agree the Chytil injury sucks ass. Drury doesn't need to blow his load this deadline and get caught up in the top names. Most of them are pretty bad anyways

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm sorry. I think I just had a small stroke. Did you say underperformance of Laf and Miller???? Lafreniere, who has been absolutely dominant, even if not on the score sheet and K'Andre Miller, who has greatly improved this year even if his offense is down a bit?

I mean......Lafreniere has been extraordinarily improved with the puck and on offense but his whole line is absolutely horrible defensively. one of the worst in the league.

also Miller is no question having an up and down year, imo.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Well that's foolish of you.

Obviously there's some nuance here. I think the step that Laf has to take is far less than the step that others have to take, but yeah, I think he has to be even better, still. I wouldn't say he's been "absolutely dominant."

He's been very good and has solidified himself here, but, if nothing else he needs to finish a good deal better. I think it's definitely fair to say the analytics in that checklist probably don't take bad luck into account and so are slightly flawed, but it's slightly off, not radically off.

Same goes for Miller. I think he needs to be a little better and eliminate some inconsistency, not a ton better. But he needs to get better.

This isn't to say those two should be replaced. They are eventual solutions, not problems.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If you can move out Trouba for a first, you have some ammo.

Your tradeable assets are then:

- Your own 2024 first
- The Trouba 2024 first (edit: 2025 first I guess?)
- Your own 2025 first
- Lindgren
- Mika Zibanejad

You need a young 1C and a young first pair D. You can add a depth prospect like a BMB, Sykora, Berard, and Jones or Robertson to this as well.

Kreider - young 1C - Perrault
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Othmann - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Brodzinksi - Vesey/Berard/Sykora/Rempe/Edstrom

Young 1D - Fox
Miller - Schneider
Gustafsson - Jones/Robertson

That's a good effing team right there.

Let's talk targets. 1C and 1D who can be obtained for that list of assets, or what those assets would bring back themselves. Go.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Your interpretation of this is incorrect, but it's because Shayna presented this terribly. Just change the roles around based on the actual ice time and it paints a completely different story. Trocheck plays more than Zibanejad, so he's in reality the 1C this year. Swap the two of them and you have checks for elite C and top-line C. Trouba as the number 1 D instead of Miller despite them basically having identical usage outside of Trouba's sporadic PP2 minutes is silly. There's another check there. Completely different narrative if the writing wasn't lazy.

Igor's numbers are also tanked by one abysmal month. If he maintains his trend and plays even somewhat close to his previous levels, there's another check there. The team is good. The roster will be fine with some upgrades around the margins, and yes, I agree the Chytil injury sucks ass. Drury doesn't need to blow his load this deadline and get caught up in the top names. Most of them are pretty bad anyways

Still think we are outside looking in, in comparison to Florida and Toronto. We will see.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Trouba and Lindgren are the two biggest issues on the team.

The Tarasenko thing is crazy, Mika and Kreider with him was the drizzling shits.

Novak has that jam? Does he? He's thrown 5 total hits all season, when I think of a player playing hard with jam they usually throw their body around.

His numbers are pretty good though despite 3rd line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00