Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part X — Active Roster in OP (09/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's a rebuild, why not look at it logically?

A rebuilding team is better playing Staal until they eventually scratch him or play him right up until the point they buy him out or are they better using that ice time somehow else?

Not really sure who takes his slot on the left right now. I don't think sliding ADA or Pionk over to that side solves much. Can't say having him in the lineup particularly does much for me, but also not sure if there is an obvious solution that involves him along with ADA or Pionk at the moment.

Players on the last years of the entry level, better to find out if they can play at the NHL level or not?

Outside of the above mentioned, who are we not finding out about? I'm a little confused there. Vesey? I think he's definitely in a position where he's going to show us who he is or isn't. Same with Buch.

Players who have years left on their entry level, better to force them into the NHL roster and limit their minutes, or let them play bigger minutes in all situations in the AHL?

Who are we referring to specifically? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Players they'd like to sell, better to put the importance on their possible value on the back burner or to try to put them into position to be able to get more value back out of them?

Again, what specifically are we talking about. It probably depends. I think guys like McQ are not going to have a ton of variation on their value. I also don't think the Rangers main priority is the difference between a third or fourth there.

Are we talking about Hayes or Zucc?

In Hayes case, I think the Rangers are probably trying to determine if he and Zibanejad are part of their long-term plan, or whether they're candidates to be moved. I don't know if either guy is interferring with the development of anyone at the moment.

In Zucc's case, I think he's a likely candidate to be moved, but I also don't know who he is blocking at the moment.

They are the ones married to contradictory concepts, Lias, it's good for him to develop and play in the AHL, Chytil though it's okay for him to get 10 minutes of ice time in the NHL. Pionk has to be developed, but ADA we can scratch him for the two first games. Fast, Physical, Relentless are adjectives that describe Staal? I could probably list more but point I am making is they seem all disheveled, yes it's been only 3 games, but they created more of that than they needed to.

I think it's a case by case basis. I think Lias and Chytil easily could've been flip flopped in this scenario. But with three potential rookie centers on the roster, someone was going to be in Hartford. In this case, it ended up being Andersson. My guess would be that this approach was taken because of the style of game Howden brings to the NHL, and the fact that he's a little older, and the fact that Chytil spent more time in the AHL last season --- essentially an entire season. Andersson, by comparison was all over the map last season.

But I'm not sure if I few that decision as contradictory or to be particularly set in stone. The team had to start somewhere, and this is how/where they started.

As for ADA and Pionk, I think we circle back to the first part of the conversation.

I'm just not really following you. So I need more context to respond.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Those line combos should he a wake up to chytil. That's one step away from Hartford territory.

I disagree. They’re trying to find something that works.

I don’t understand why Quinn insists on pairing Staal with a rookie.

Going to laugh if DeAngelo makes him look like an AHL first pairing level guy though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree. They’re trying to find something that works.

I don’t understand why Quinn insists on pairing Staal with a rookie.

Going to laugh if DeAngelo makes him look like an AHL first pairing level guy though.

*whispers*

Because the Rangers think Staal is their most effective defensive player and they want him there to "shelter" the rookie.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
After Chytil jumped on the ice and caused a too many men penalty. Coach yelled at him, he's probably dead scared of Quinn.
He's probably upset that he made the mistake. If it affects him moving forward and he's "scared" of his coach because of it, we all have a huge problem.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So why not start him there from the gets go and just use the same phrasing/logic as they did with Lias?

I mean it really makes me question the thought process that went into the NHL roster.

For example Shattenkirk has been bad, would he have been as bad had they just gave him a partner through camp/preseason and stuck with that? Pionk has not been very good, had they paired him with a different LD does he look as bad? ADA was good in preseason why did he draw the short straw?

It's not that I even care win or lose, to me this should be all about development both of the prospects/youth and of the value they could maybe get back for any of the players their cap structure shows they are likely selling before this ship turns into wins/loses being important because I think that those are the two most important parts of the rebuild. I think they seem to have some other aspect in there that I just don't value... just would value less than the first two aspects.

The team was built based on the performance in camp. That evaluation is not restricted to pre-season games (to your point about ADA) and whistle-to-whistle action only, but what else were they supposed to use? It's a new coach familiarizing himself with players he doesn't know. But as we've seen in the past, camp performance doesn't always translate perfectly to regular season performance. This isn't a static situation. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if, at some point, Chytil is in Hartford and Andersson is in NY.

Beyond that, I completely reject the idea that any player looks bad because of the players he plays with. A player has to be effective in his own right. If Shattenkirk has looked bad, that's on him. If Pionk has looked bad, that's on him. I don't think you could say either one of them have been making the best of their ice time, a concept which includes and accommodates for whoever their partners are.

People just need to exercise some patience and account for this being a process. Things need to shake out. 3 games in isn't enough. Training camp before that is definitely not enough, since that only gives you a basic sketch at best. It's going to take time.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The team was built based on the performance in camp. That evaluation is not restricted to pre-season games (to your point about ADA) and whistle-to-whistle action only, but what else were they supposed to use? It's a new coach familiarizing himself with players he doesn't know. But as we've seen in the past, camp performance doesn't always translate perfectly to regular season performance. This isn't a static situation. I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if, at some point, Chytil is in Hartford and Andersson is in NY.

Beyond that, I completely reject the idea that any player looks bad because of the players he plays with. A player has to be effective in his own right. If Shattenkirk has looked bad, that's on him. If Pionk has looked bad, that's on him. I don't think you could say either one of them have been making the best of their ice time, a concept which includes and accommodates for whoever their partners are.

People just need to exercise some patience and account for this being a process. Things need to shake out. 3 games in isn't enough. Training camp before that is definitely not enough, since that only gives you a basic sketch at best. It's going to take time.

Performance in camp, who was better Lias or the others, ADA or the others?

Staal has looked bad, is that on him? If so why are they continuing to play him?

Patience, I am one of the few who think Chytil should be in the AHL, should have been from the start, have no issue with Lias there too, or even Howden although to this point he is the only one of the entry levels to run with his chance, (other than ADA for the one game they played him) but I am the impatient one?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
After Chytil jumped on the ice and caused a too many men penalty. Coach yelled at him, he's probably dead scared of Quinn.
He has been better than Zibanejad, Hayes, Zuccarello, Namestnikov, Spooner, Vesey, Lettieri so far in the season. If he is sent down it will be because of the slide in his contract.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Quinn is trying to find line combos that work. Chytil isn't getting demoted for his play, that's for sure. Quinn has spoken about not having a 4th line.

He's also holding Shattenkirk accountable for a slow start. Let's see if it wakes him up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't have an issue with scratching Shattenkirk. Hes been bad so far.

Why Staal continues to get immunity annoys me. Whats it going to take for get him to take a seat?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't have an issue with scratching Shattenkirk. Hes been bad so far.

Why Staal continues to get immunity annoys me. Whats it going to take for get him to take a seat?

A Buyout, and just like Girardi I would not be surprised to see them play him right up until that point.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Performance in camp, who was better Lias or the others, ADA or the others?

Staal has looked bad, is that on him? If so why are they continuing to play him?

Patience, I am one of the few who think Chytil should be in the AHL, should have been from the start, have no issue with Lias there too, or even Howden although to this point he is the only one of the entry levels to run with his chance, (other than ADA for the one game they played him) but I am the impatient one?

Those aren't the kind of things I'm saying have patience with. Things take time to shake out. 3 regular season games and a training camp isn't anything resembling enough time for that to have happened.

And yes, Staal looking bad is on him... although as always the level to which he's looked bad is severely over-stated on this board. The problem is that there aren't any LD who should be in the lineup ahead of him, so it's not like that matters all that much. Hajek should be in the AHL, independent of how he compares to other LD in the Rangers system. Same Lindgren. Who else is there? Claesson should get more of a look and he will, but who else? The Rangers professional LD is a shallow group, when it comes to quality.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Those aren't the kind of things I'm saying have patience with. Things take time to shake out. 3 regular season games and a training camp isn't anything resembling enough time for that to have happened.

And yes, Staal looking bad is on him... although as always the level to which he's looked bad is severely over-stated on this board. The problem is that there aren't any LD who should be in the lineup ahead of him, so it's not like that matters all that much. Hajek should be in the AHL, independent of how he compares to other LD in the Rangers system. Same Lindgren. Who else is there? Claesson should get more of a look and he will, but who else? The Rangers professional LD is a shallow group, when it comes to quality.

They can move McQuaid to LD too.

That would help solve playing all of Shattenkirk, Pionk and ADA at RD.

Who comes out of the LD though?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
But it wasn't Girardi's fault it was the system he was good in TB last year :sarcasm:

Oh wait, actually among their six regular defenseman he ranked 5th in points/60, 5th in CF60, 6th in CA60, 6th in CF%, 5th in GF60, 3rd in GA60 (3-6 almost identical there), 5th in GF%. Guess he actually was as bad as ever. My bad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think so.

Staal has commonly been towards the bottom of TOI through out pre season and the regular season save for last game.
I think even the Rangers would acknowledge that he can't do offense at all at this point, but I'm willing to venture that everyone in the organization sees him as a shutdown stalwart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad