Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part X — Active Roster in OP (09/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
If Gorton were to consider dealing Shattenkirk — which teams out there have the need for a RHS PPQB? Tampa? NYI? PHI? Buf? Ari? CGY? EDM? LAK? Van? Dallas was in on EK...

Vegas was in on EK at TDL,
and only had ONE regular RHD last season - Colin Miller
IMHO, after adding Patches, Shatty would make sense if they're seriously gonna "go for it" to return to Cup Finals
was wondering re deals around Theodore before contract stalemate ended

Reactions: Off Sides and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Vegas was in on EK at TDL,
and only had ONE regular RHD last season - Colin Miller
IMHO, after adding Patches, Shatty would make sense if they're seriously gonna "go for it" to return to Cup Finals
was wondering re deals around Theodore before contract stalemate ended

Good point!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I believe HF instituted a limit on how many threads could be stickied. They've done it many, many times over the years. IDK what the limit is now. Anyway this thread wouldn't fall very far down the page so it seems like a reasonable candidate so be unstuck.

Well, to be fair... Sticky-functionality is to prevent important threads to drop too much. Usually this is used for rules etc. As you said, this thread won't drop too far so I have no problem with it. A good functionality would be for individual users to select their own stickies. VB has this

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Shatty @2m retained and Vesey to LAK for their 19’ and 20’ 1st round pick. They have a 2-3 year window with Kopitar. Kova is looking good for them so far in Camp. They have yet to replace Voynov. They have poor forward depth, I think Vesey would be a better fit in the West. Maybe... ;)

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
With Perry out for 5 months, I could definitely see a Zuccarello (50% retained) to Anaheim trade as a possibility.

- 2019 first round pick
- 2020 second round pick (conditional)*
- prospect (Terry, Larsson, Steel?)

* Becomes a first round pick if Zuccarello re-signs

Shatty @2m retained and Vesey to LAK for their 19’ and 20’ 1st round pick. They have a 2-3 year window with Kopitar. Kova is looking good for them so far in Camp. They have yet to replace Voynov. They have poor forward depth, I think Vesey would be a better fit in the West. Maybe... ;)

These two deals together would give the drafts

Rangers 1st
LA 1st
Anaheim 1st
Tampa conditional 2nd that may become a 1st.

Rangers 1st
LA 1st
Anaheim conditional 2nd that may become a 1st.

And the Rangers 1st in those two drafts are much more likely to be in good lottery odds without Shattenkirk, Zucc.

While I think that is sort of a pipe dream, I think the general idea of stockpiling fits into where this rebuild currently is.

Reactions: Ola

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The team should have at minimum 2 1st rounders in 2019, and could be up to 4 depending on the trades that happen

Hayes, and Zucc should bring back 1st's. And if Tampa gets their shit together and wins this year, that's another

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Let's table the shattenkirk talk until Karlsson signs. No one is giving up assets while also killing their cap with EK still a potential target next summer. Maybe even hold off until he plays on a healthy knee. Let's be crazy this season.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why do you want to trade Shattenkirk?

For the same reason we traded McDonagh basically. We are rebuilding, he is a vet, at a position where we have a ton of vets as it is, why wouldn't you want to trade him for a good return? 4 of 6 Ds on our blue-line are dinosaurs. Staal and Smith isn't going anywhere. Skjei isn't a rookie anymore. We should be able to afford to carry more than 1 young player on the blueline. Pionk and TDA aren't even rookies anymore, there isn't even room for both of them.

I also just think that his value in near time should be pretty good, but that there is a considerable risk that it will decline over the coming years. Recent history of this league isn't short of examples of vets on big contracts that have lost their value instantly when you have started to see dents in their armor. Nobody is trading for a vet with any kind of concern and term attached to them. It cannot be ruled out, and I just don't want to risk getting caught with -- another -- vet with a big contract on the blueline.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Let's table the shattenkirk talk until Karlsson signs. No one is giving up assets while also killing their cap with EK still a potential target next summer. Maybe even hold off until he plays on a healthy knee. Let's be crazy this season.

I think the stakes are waaaaaay to high to gamble on this. The price could just as well go down next season due to Karlsson, and who knows someone else maybe, being on the market.

We got a 1st round pick or two in the bank today and we risk getting nothing while ending up with a another mega contract on the blueline that cannot be moved if Shatty gets a knee on knee hit tomorrow. Sure you always run a risk when doing business so to speak, but in light of us already have (i) FIVE more years of Girardi's buy-out on the cap, (ii) THREE more seasons of Marc Staal, and (iii) THREE more seasons of Brendan Smith -- we just have zero room for anymore disaster contracts on the blueline.

Really, is it worth it to -- not -- make that trade today? Why? We get 72 pts instead of 64 pts? I don't get it.

Reactions: Off Sides

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
With Perry out for 5 months, I could definitely see a Zuccarello (50% retained) to Anaheim trade as a possibility.

- 2019 first round pick
- 2020 second round pick (conditional)*
- prospect (Terry, Larsson, Steel?)

* Becomes a first round pick if Zuccarello re-signs

Thought the same thing (Zuccs to Ducks)

Would be a nice deal for both teams

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don't think anyone would trade a 1st for Shattenkirk right now, Ola. Not till he proves health, just the way the NHL rolls.

Reactions: Ola

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I have a hard time seeing the Ducks trading anything significant to fill Perry's spot. They have some kids competing for spots and I think they're realistic about where they stack up in the west. Maybe a waiver claim before the season starts or a minor deal 10-15 games in.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have a hard time seeing the Ducks trading anything significant to fill Perry's spot. They have some kids competing for spots and I think they're realistic about where they stack up in the west. Maybe a waiver claim before the season starts or a minor deal 10-15 games in.
The Ducks might not even be a playoff team imo. I didnt like that team much even with Perry with how competitive the West is couples with their aging declining star players. They are surely not making a trade at the very least for a month so they can see what they have.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I hate to say it again.....the rangers are not going to trade shattenkirk

He's too important to their image and their selling point as a destination for elite free agents. If a guy like that decides to leave money on the table cause he wants to be here, presumably because he's a childhood Rangers fan, but even in an alternate scenario just because he likes NYC or because he likes the organization or exposure....

... you can't deal him after a year. It's a betrayal. If he wanted to be somewhere else, he could have held out for top dollar.

You disrespect a free agent signing like that who specifically wanted to be in NY, and agents and GMs will remind future free agents of that fact.

It's different maybe a couple more years down the line. Maybe in his contract year. But not this year, no way.

On top of that, Shattenkirk is actually a good player and he may be young enough that he can be here as the vet presence for the kids in 2-3 seasons. Unlike Zucc who is going to get squeezed out of the top 6 by our young talent (Zibs, Kreider, Buch, Chytil, Andersson, Kravtsov, next year's first, Panarin, etc).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why did these get unstickied?

I believe HF instituted a limit on how many threads could be stickied. They've done it many, many times over the years. IDK what the limit is now. Anyway this thread wouldn't fall very far down the page so it seems like a reasonable candidate so be unstuck.
This is exactly why, on both accounts. We Sticky the roster building thread during the offseason in place of GDTs.

Well, to be fair... Sticky-functionality is to prevent important threads to drop too much. Usually this is used for rules etc. As you said, this thread won't drop too far so I have no problem with it. A good functionality would be for individual users to select their own stickies. VB has this
You can follow threads now, which is probably the next best thing.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We have to get down to 23 at some point, 21 skaters.

Because of the injuries and waiver rules, I think it’s clear that the following will make the team:

Zib
Zucc
Kreider
Hayes
Buch
Spooner
Names
Chytil
Fast
Andersson
Vesey
Lettieri
McLeod

and

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Staal
ADA
Smith
McQuaid
Pionk
Claesson

Of these 21 skaters, we can ice 18 per game. I believe Quinn will mostly ice 11 F and 7 D. Of these, I think McLeod and Claesson will sit most often.

I am not sure who will win out between Tokarski and Georgiev.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
We have to get down to 23 at some point, 21 skaters.

Because of the injuries and waiver rules, I think it’s clear that the following will make the team:

Zib
Zucc
Kreider
Hayes
Buch
Spooner
Names
Chytil
Fast
Andersson
Vesey
Lettieri
McLeod

and

Skjei
Shattenkirk
Staal
ADA
Smith
McQuaid
Pionk
Claesson

Of these 21 skaters, we can ice 18 per game. I believe Quinn will mostly ice 11 F and 7 D. Of these, I think McLeod and Claesson will sit most often.

I am not sure who will win out between Tokarski and Georgiev.
I’d be shocked if they dress 11 F and 7 D this season

Reactions: RoarLionRoar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad