Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VII: Now with less frenzy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
ah yes the offseason "he was in bad shape last year but look at the instagram/twitter videos of him working out this year!"

e: lol I didn't watch the video before saying that, haha

Kreider has the unfair advantage of his legs being inside Smith's though

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The hockey advanced stats guys are starting to put their 2018-19 models/projections out.

Rangers are the 2nd worst team in the NHL in this model. 75 points. They had 77 points last season.

Reactions: Berserk

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The hockey advanced stats guys are starting to put their 2018-19 models/projections out.

Rangers are the 2nd worst team in the NHL in this model. 75 points. They had 77 points last season.

Expect most season previews to look like this. The Rangers are easily a bottom five team.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

You friggin spoiled the ending for me RB. Now what am I going to do with my evenings this season.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Bad teams win championships. Not all, but they are still pretty much the only teams that have won are the ones who were bad first. Enjoy this season. There is literally no worrying about anything until we get to the draft lottery. Enjoy watching the kids, enjoy not having to care about the outcome of the game. Enjoy the trades that will come, enjoy the assets the Rangers will gain in. order to help them in their rebuild. The team will be bad but going in with that expectation from the get-go should help ease that fact as we go through the season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Ahhh yes, now that we want to be bad, the advanced stats models showing we will suck are great.

When they were showing cracks the last couple years, it was WATCH THE GAME!
I actually think we'll be better than the projections...I do wonder how these models are going g to account for a different coach, different system, so many rookies. If you're using previous data, most of thesr players have played the majority of their careers in a system that says "eh... F*** it" when it comes to the defensive zone....Quinn has stressed how much of his system starts by defending well and aggressively trying to regain the puck.

Rangers didn't have a particularly effective forecheck...mainly because of shift length requirements...theyd constantly dump, chanbge and wait for the opposition.

Will be interesting to see how much of a difference Quinn will have.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I actually think we'll be better than the projections...I do wonder how these models are going g to account for a different coach, different system, so many rookies. If you're using previous data, most of thesr players have played the majority of their careers in a system that says "eh... F*** it" when it comes to the defensive zone....Quinn has stressed how much of his system starts by defending well and aggressively trying to regain the puck.

Rangers didn't have a particularly effective forecheck...mainly because of shift length requirements...theyd constantly dump, chanbge and wait for the opposition.

Will be interesting to see how much of a difference Quinn will have.

Yeah those are variables that you can’t really quantify.

OTOH, we don’t really have a roster that is going to be very good at keeping the puck in the other end. I imagine KZB will be the only line that does it with any regularity.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They really weren't. Try going back in time three years and pointing some of them out.

You mean when they were giving up a billion scoring chances and the only thing that kept them from having a season like last year was Hank playing out of his mind for 2 months?

It was obvious as f***.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You mean when they were giving up a billion scoring chances and the only thing that kept them from having a season like last year was Hank playing out of his mind for 2 months?

It was obvious as ****.
There's a reason why a lot of posters who used to post here don't post anymore. And it's because they pointed this out, backed it up with new metrics people didn't like, and essentially got chased from the boards.

So, no. It may have been obvious to you, but it was not obvious to everyone.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Forget new metrics. Any hockey fan who clearly couldn't see that Hank was the only difference from a bottom 3 pick and finishing a middling team just outside the bubble, clearly doesn't have much hockey sense.

The silver lining of last season to me was seeing that with Hanks compete level and will to win that he more than likely can be the goalie to back this team to a Cup even in 3 or 4 years when this new core is established and can actually compete for one. Things are looking good for this franchise.

Reactions: egelband

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Buffalo is STILL at the bottom.....

I'm not buying this. Ottawa should be dead last and by a massive chunk

Reactions: charliemurphy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes