Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVI - On the Brink of Wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Ehhhhh.

I don’t think Boyle wants to come here considering he’ll have no chance at a Cup. He’s pretty much a coin flip on faceoffs. And he’s looked pretty cooked these last two years. Marc Staal can outskate him at this point.

Id rather call up Barron. Or f*** it, go batshit crazy and give guys like Kakko and Laf some shifts at Center for LOL’s.

A coin flip on face offs sounds pretty good right now.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Anyone know what the word patience means?
That means watching your team develop and battle thru the ups and downs of a season.
We are the youngest team in the league. With a shit ton of talented layers here and on the way.
This is the most exciting time I can remember besides winning the cup. move been watching since 1975.
we are not making the playoffs in this division.
Watch our young Rangers battle thru slumps and adversity It builds character and a team. We will find out who we are keeping and who goes.
But it takes time to sort it out. There is no trade out there that makes us a contender over night.
We are building this team. It take time and patience and some luck. Enjoy the ride. LGR!

I think the issue is that it hasn't been the young guys that have been the problem thus far. If Mika, Kreider, Strome, Deangelo and, to a lesser extent because he was really good last night, Panarin were playing like they can we would not be in this position. Youth hasnt been the problem imo unless you wanna hang a bit on the goalies.

Reactions: Cag29

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
That means watching your team develop and battle thru the ups and downs of a season.
We are the youngest team in the league. With a shit ton of talented layers here and on the way.
This is the most exciting time I can remember besides winning the cup. move been watching since 1975.
Watch our young Rangers battle thru slumps and adversity It builds character and a team. We will find out who we are keeping and who goes.
But it takes time to sort it out. There is no trade out there that makes us a contender over night.
We are building this team. It take time and patience and some luck. Enjoy the ride. LGR!
So we arent patient because we want the bottom 6 to improve? We arent patient because we want centers that can win faceoffs and we do not have center depth in the organization, so you know, we gotta go out and find it? We arent patient because while we ARE playing our kids and watching them improve, it would be nice to add to the group to fill holes so that these young kids can grow AND win games at the same time?

Get out of here with that nonsense. The kids are playing. They are getting their experience. That doesnt mean we should sit idle and not improve the team around them. We have a center that can win faceoffs consistently and our record is likely 4-4-1 at minimum right now. That is a monumental difference in this division where you are playing the same teams 8 times each. While Rooney, Blackwell, and PDG have all played well for who they are and they have brought energy, they are not kids and they can certainly be upgraded if the opportunity presented itself. This team has been in every game. They should be looking to fix the holes that have been the difference in those games. That includes the 3rd pair defensively.

Reactions: Do you want ants

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
OK Genius, besides FC who do we have that is a solid prospect to play center? No one. We right now may have the worst center group in the league especially with Zibs playing like crap. It is not only the lost face offs but the turnovers in our zone and fact that Zibs isn't scoring. After that Strome is a disaster and Howden is well Howden. You know what really bothers me. You ask for patience but how do you expect these youngsters to develop when they are playing with 3rd rate centers?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I would be all over trying to get Sean Monahan right now. He has been good on faceoffs this year. His career avg is 50.3%. It is not spectacular but it is still an improvement from what we watch every night. He has 7 points in 7 games so far. Calgary has struggled too. Could be a good match. I dont know what the deal would look like but Zib-Monahan as your 1-2 would be a big upgrade. Monahan is not a defensive wizard by any means but he can help drive offense and therefore possession as well. Would be a much better player to put next to Panarin.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
too bad that Monahan would be the second worst defensive forward on the team

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
too bad that Monahan would be the second worst defensive forward on the team
He may very well be, but his possession metrics are fantastic. His career average is 55+ in both corsi and fenwick. This year, in a small sample size, he is sitting at 59. If he was a stalwart defensively CGY wouldnt consider moving him. You have to take the good with the bad when making a trade. I look at Monahan and believe we will have the puck more when he is on the ice.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This teams needs more energy players who can play competent defense and chip in a bit offensive in the bottom 6. They need guys who will bang bodies. I dont know if Sam Bennett fits that profile but it is needed. They need Centers who can win important faceoffs. I dont care what the asshat DQ said about faceoffs, they are important and have been killing us. Happened again last night.

They're only important in specific situations. And Sam Bennet wouldn't even be on the ice for those situations....

Such as Zibanejad losing faceoffs clean when the Rangers are on the PP1. That can't happen. And adding someone like Sam Bennett won't do anything to fix that....

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
OK Genius, besides FC who do we have that is a solid prospect to play center? No one. We right now may have the worst center group in the league especially with Zibs playing like crap. It is not only the lost face offs but the turnovers in our zone and fact that Zibs isn't scoring. After that Strome is a disaster and Howden is well Howden. You know what really bothers me. You ask for patience but how do you expect these youngsters to develop when they are playing with 3rd rate centers?
No shit Sherlock. There is a salary cap. And other than Chytil we are weak at the moment at center prospects. That why we have to be patient until the right trade comes along or we draft someone who works out. But it takes 3-4 year for most prospects to develope. Patience.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This teams needs more energy players who can play competent defense and chip in a bit offensive in the bottom 6. They need guys who will bang bodies. I dont know if Sam Bennett fits that profile but it is needed. They need Centers who can win important faceoffs. I dont care what the asshat DQ said about faceoffs, they are important and have been killing us. Happened again last night.

Basically you need a defined 4th line. You can shelter 12-15 in a given night up front. But you will need a group of grinders that can play 5v5. I think they have the pieces, but just haven't found the units and utilization. Crosby put a master class on winning and leadership last night, and made it look like it was a routine outing. Clutch faceoff win. That Tanev, that's what you want to see out of a hockey player. He's getting paid for a reason.

But yeah, faceoffs, protecting leads, those are the things you want see. A lot of it's inexperience, because you have so many guys stepping up in newer roles you aren't seeing the finer details ingrained in them yet, but I also think that there are enough players who know how to play, and they aren't in mid-season form yet.

Reactions: leetch99

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
So we arent patient because we want the bottom 6 to improve? We arent patient because we want centers that can win faceoffs and we do not have center depth in the organization, so you know, we gotta go out and find it? We arent patient because while we ARE playing our kids and watching them improve, it would be nice to add to the group to fill holes so that these young kids can grow AND win games at the same time?

Get out of here with that nonsense. The kids are playing. They are getting their experience. That doesnt mean we should sit idle and not improve the team around them. We have a center that can win faceoffs consistently and our record is likely 4-4-1 at minimum right now. That is a monumental difference in this division where you are playing the same teams 8 times each. While Rooney, Blackwell, and PDG have all played well for who they are and they have brought energy, they are not kids and they can certainly be upgraded if the opportunity presented itself. This team has been in every game. They should be looking to fix the holes that have been the difference in those games. That includes the 3rd pair defensively.
How are you going to upgrade this season with our cap situation?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Make em stay late and practice face-offs. Crosby winning games in the dot. Pens get it done across the board.

Filip was in the 30s last year.
There has to be a Barb Underhill for faceoffs, no? What makes a good faceoff man? Hand eye? Compete level? Anticipation.

Probably all of the above. Hand eye is probably the least important of the components. Do these guys simply need to try harder? It’s one thing to lose a draw, but to consistently lose them cleanly enough that they turn into scoring chances is a problem. I don’t care what the stats say.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016

And some Calgary fans believe he should be playing at center, and if thats true you have a potential 3c right there. He definitely needs a change of scenery, He hasn't looked good (outside of the playoffs last year) but the talent is there. He's around a 50% career faceoff guy and can at minimum fill that energy bang body role, he's definitely a buy low candidate with upside. In regards to peoples comments about winning faceoffs and certain guys wont help bc they wont be out on the ice in that moment, I think Barkov is the answer here and will also mitigate injury concerns of Zibby. The key will be knowing if hes willing to sign here before hand.

Reactions: RGY

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I mean they have to have a other move in the que

we all thought they were protecting TDA, Trouba , Lindgren in expansion

now they obviously would expose him if not claimed but what did he do ? Other teams may not touch him if he’s a cancer in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad