Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVI - On the Brink of Wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
This team needs centers badly for specially center who can win a face off. I love Mika but his injuries are concerning, Strome is not the answer, Chytil got off to a great start but sadly got hurt. We don’t have any big center prospects in the system and the salary cap makes it hard to get a legit 2C

Reactions: Daves a mess

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Sam Bennett requested a trade out of Calgary. I’d definitely try to make that happen.

Gauthier + Hajek + 3rd or something. I don’t really care, as long as it’s not a grade A prospect.

Bennett has skill but hasn’t ever put it together. Could benefit from a change of scenery but even if not, he’s a solid third line center, typically about 49% on face offs, physical and agitating. He had 54 hits in 10 playoff games last year. He has the skill to be able to slot into any line and not drag it down, plays center and wing and gives us depth. Won’t be costly to re-sign, could still have untapped potential.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would be willing to give up maybe a 3rd for Sam Bennet

If Roslovic returns a third Bennet isn’t worth much more

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I would be willing to give up maybe a 3rd for Sam Bennet

If Roslovic returns a third Bennet isn’t worth much more

I’m willing to overpay to outbid other teams. Not something outlandish, but spare parts that could find a role in Calgary.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'd take a flyer on Bennett. But I wouldn't give up much. I think Gauthier has a future in the NHL but Quinn is never going to play him so might as well be him.

Reactions: bl02

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Brian Boyle. Cheap and worth a shot. Again...cheap.
Ehhhhh.

I don’t think Boyle wants to come here considering he’ll have no chance at a Cup. He’s pretty much a coin flip on faceoffs. And he’s looked pretty cooked these last two years. Marc Staal can outskate him at this point.

Id rather call up Barron. Or f*** it, go batshit crazy and give guys like Kakko and Laf some shifts at Center for LOL’s.

Patty The Ratty

Jan 31, 2021
Finland
Might be worth it to take a shot with Bennett if the price is not too high. But I'm not convinced that he is any kind of answer to this team's current issues and needs (center depth, PK and faceoffs).

One player comes to mind that would help with all of the above: Phillip Danault. Apparently MTL has offered him 5x5, but Danault wants 6x5,5. Awesome shutdown center, and he is an analytics darling. This move is of course not going to happen during the season - too difficult salary cap -wise and MTL doesn't want to weaken the team. But I would love to add him to our team.

This would probably mean that Zibanejad is not extended, but the issues and concerns with Mika's next contract are legit.

Reactions: Gsus

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Quinn looks at his goalie tandem as a rotating one we are in big trouble. All the sudden Shesty went from being the the present and future to being level with Georgiev. Not in my mind but obviously in Quinn’s mind

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Faceoffs aren’t important and trading for someone won’t help. We went through the same thing when Stepan and Hayes were here. They were both bad on faceoffs and being two of the top centers they would take the majority of them so the team would be bad. The 4C would have a minimal impact on team results and would not be on the ice for any key offensive situations. They would moderately help in defensive spots but not in a significant way considering Mika wins them about 50% of the time as it is.

Also faceoff stats are going to be massively biased this year because of the schedule. Any top center that has faced Boston a bunch of times already will have an inordinate amount of draws taken against Bergeron.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Not a fan of overpaying for a face off winning center that doesn't play significant minutes. What do we do? Throw Boyle or Bennett out there to start 60 shifts when we have to win a strategic face off? Then try to get them off the ice, or get stuck with them out there with an ineffective shift for the 50% of the time they lose?

Seems like we are treating the symptom and not the disease. Just like wanting to overpay Fast to fix the work ethic issue. Something is wrong here with certain areas. Figure out how to fix faceoffs since 2008. Sounds like it isn't a player issue if it plagues that many centers over 13 years.

And if it's a player issue, fine. Change your philosophy with scouting and maybe give at least a consideration there before you draft/trade.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Montreal is playing well so i doubt Danault is an option right now.

I would certainly look at Bennett in Calgary. I would also try to revisit the Monahan conversation. This team needs a legitimate 2C. They need depth too. Bennett seems like a buy low right now. Maybe could be had for a 3rd? And I would try to expand on that deal to get Monahan in it.

DeAngelo, Strome, 3rd round pick, B Level prospect such as Hajek

for

Bennett and Monahan

Towards the end of the year maybe you have Barron/Kravtsov and Lundkvist as options

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not a fan of overpaying for a face off winning center that doesn't play significant minutes. What do we do? Throw Boyle or Bennett out there to start 60 shifts when we have to win a strategic face off? Then try to get them off the ice, or get stuck with them out there with an ineffective shift for the 50% of the time they lose?

Seems like we are treating the symptom and not the disease. Just like wanting to overpay Fast to fix the work ethic issue. Something is wrong here with certain areas. Figure out how to fix faceoffs since 2008. Sounds like it isn't a player issue if it plagues that many centers over 13 years.

And if it's a player issue, fine. Change your philosophy with scouting and maybe give at least a consideration there before you draft/trade.

You make them practice more, and prepare by pre-scouting the other team. CAR did that against the Rangers, and it's time to take a page out of their book and apply it across the centers on the Rangers. Crosby beating Zibanejad clean, lead to a goal right off the draw.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Sam Bennett requested a trade out of Calgary. I’d definitely try to make that happen.

Gauthier + Hajek + 3rd or something. I don’t really care, as long as it’s not a grade A prospect.

Bennett has skill but hasn’t ever put it together. Could benefit from a change of scenery but even if not, he’s a solid third line center, typically about 49% on face offs, physical and agitating. He had 54 hits in 10 playoff games last year. He has the skill to be able to slot into any line and not drag it down, plays center and wing and gives us depth. Won’t be costly to re-sign, could still have untapped potential.
I'd love Sam Bennett. ask Trouba how tough he is. he is underrated in my opinion.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You know on Bennet, as a player he's a bottom six left winger. But he is a guy who can add a lot of energy to a Ranger line-up that needs it. That being said, I don't see a fit on the Rangers.

Reactions: NYR Viper

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You know on Bennet, as a player he's a bottom six left winger. But he is a guy who can add a lot of energy to a Ranger line-up that needs it. That being said, I don't see a fit on the Rangers.
This teams needs more energy players who can play competent defense and chip in a bit offensive in the bottom 6. They need guys who will bang bodies. I dont know if Sam Bennett fits that profile but it is needed. They need Centers who can win important faceoffs. I dont care what the asshat DQ said about faceoffs, they are important and have been killing us. Happened again last night.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Anyone know what the word patience means?
That means watching your team develop and battle thru the ups and downs of a season.
We are the youngest team in the league. With a shit ton of talented layers here and on the way.
This is the most exciting time I can remember besides winning the cup. move been watching since 1975.
we are not making the playoffs in this division.
Watch our young Rangers battle thru slumps and adversity It builds character and a team. We will find out who we are keeping and who goes.
But it takes time to sort it out. There is no trade out there that makes us a contender over night.
We are building this team. It take time and patience and some luck. Enjoy the ride. LGR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad