Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kreider is the leader in the NYR locker room, he's been a Ranger for 8 years already and will be here for 7 more. There's no reason not to make him the Captain.

I know. And I am not really advocating for us not naming a captain. But this notion that we need a captain, is what I disagree with.

I think Kreider makes the most sense based on what I've heard when interviewing players. They all are talking about his dedication, his leadership, mentoring younger players, always being the first player on the ice, last one off the ice at practice.

It was interesting to hear them talk about Kreider this way

Reactions: RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
they probably wont make it captain because they wont strip it from him in a few years when laff is ready for it

Ovechkin didn't captain his team for 5 years until he took over from Clark. Same with Stamkos in Tampa. Not every top pick is going to be a captain in year 2 like Toews, McDavid, Crosby and Landeskog for instance

Reactions: leetch99

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ovechkin didn't captain his team for 5 years until he took over from Clark. Same with Stamkos in Tampa. Not every top pick is going to be a captain in year 2 like Toews, McDavid, Crosby and Landeskog for instance

No, but it’s not unheard of either, and personally Kreider is too awkward and introverted to be the captain. Mika is also bashful and gentle spoken. We don’t need a captain until an undeniable leader emerges. No point in naming one if there isn’t one. Mentors and guys who lead? Sure. The undeniable captain of the room? Still don’t think it has really emerged.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No, but it’s not unheard of either, and personally Kreider is too awkward and introverted to be the captain. Mika is also bashful and gentle spoken. We don’t need a captain until and undeniable leader emerges. No point in naming one if there isn’t one. Mentors and guys who lead? Sure. The undeniable captain of the room? Still don’t think it has really emerged.

Hard to reach this conclusion without being in the room

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Hard to reach this conclusion without being in the room

Yes, but it’s presented as opinion. I don’t care who the eventual captain is, or really if we have one. But I’m not sure I’d give it to anyone now after a couple years of not having one when for the first time in a while it looks like somebody like Fox or Laf may be a good candidate for that role down the road. Before this year we had no real future guys that screamed captain material and still didn’t name one. Now we do have guys that seem to show some obvious potential. I’m perfectly content to go another year without.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No, but it’s not unheard of either, and personally Kreider is too awkward and introverted to be the captain.
I never got the feeling that Krieder is awkward or an introvert. Most of the kids swear by him.

I do believe that he is heart and soul of the current locker room. Who emerges as Captain? Too early to tell. But I think that projecting an 18 year old who has yet to play a single game is a bit far off.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, but it’s presented as opinion. I don’t care who the eventual captain is, or really if we have one. But I’m not sure I’d give it to anyone now after a couple years of not having one when for the first time in a while it looks like somebody like Fox or Laf may be a good candidate for that role down the road. Before this year we had no real future guys that screamed captain material and still didn’t name one. Now we do have guys that seem to show some obvious potential. I’m perfectly content to go another year without.

Let's break through barriers and be the first team to win a Cup without a captain!

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I never got the feeling that Krieder is awkward or an introvert. Most of the kids swear by him.

I do believe that he is heart and soul of the current locker room. Who emerges as Captain? Too early to tell. But I think that projecting an 18 year old who has yet to play a single game is a bit far off.

I didn’t mention Laf until my second post and did so in the same breath as Fox. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen guys playfully ragging on Kreider in features and interviews for being kind of awkward and antisocial, while at the same time praising his intense dedication and mentors hip. I’m not sitting here trashing Kreider. I just don’t think you need to name a captain until someone in the room emerges as the undeniable choice. We do have some young guys with that potential. No harm in going another year without one, considering our position and expectations for this season. See what transpires.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
A player has never become a better leader or player by having a letter stitched onto his jersey.

Not by the simple act of having the letter on their jersey, but leadership is only partially innate. Not to say that it isn't at all, but it's just as much a skill that has to be worked at and developed. Having the letter gives a player more agency to work on his leadership and implement it... a better opportunity to become a better leader, if you will.

There's also a difference between being *a* leader and being *the* leader. Anyone whose ever moved from being a leader under the leadership of others to being a leader over the leadership of others knows this.

That being said, I don't necessarily believe that having a single captain is an absolute necessity. The best team I've ever been a part of had myself and one other person at the top, with equal authority overall and the specific responsibilities being divided up equally. There's more than one leadership model that can work.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider is the leader in the NYR locker room, he's been a Ranger for 8 years already and will be here for 7 more. There's no reason not to make him the Captain.

I can't help but think that it couldn't have taken Gorton and Co. very long to start planning for 2024 when that ping pong ball came up. Can't see Kreider remaining a Ranger for the next 7 years. Not if he's healthy. If he is then it shouldn't surprise anyone to see Gorton get that 15 team no-trade list and move him in 2024 or 25.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They cannot go this long without naming a captain. It will 3 years once the season starts. Just give it to Kreider.

Sure they can. If anything, I think you're seeing more teams hold-off on naming captains just for the sake of naming one. I think there's a reasonable probabiblity that will continue.

Internally, there is at least some belief that Zibanejad and Kreider are best where they are --- as associates, or even unofficial co-captains. There's much more chatter externally among fans.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I wouldn’t name a captain, if they didn’t win Lafreniere maybe it would be different but that’s the guy who will be captain soon enough

Reactions: McSauer

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Justin Williams was on Sp*tt*n Ch*cl*ts this week and one of the things he mentioned was that it was a weird dynamic when the Canes decided to have co-captains the year before he was named captain. Like management trusted them both halfway.

He also brought up without prompting that the Kings won 3 OT games in the 2014 Final and that it was a close series. Good guy.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think the Rangers will attempt to remake Lafreniere into a C before they attempt an Eichel like deal and move that many cheap assets in a deal . They have a couple of years to figure this out....it does not have to get done yesterday . A lot can happen in a year-or two. He might be a great C as they all say he plays like one as it is right now while lining up as a Winger . We have some quite talented individuals on the wings that could probably make that transition easier then usual for a guy as talented as Lafreniere . Give him a crack at it....save the money and assets for as long as possible and the first priority in ANY major trade should be for that #1 left side Dman ....defense wins .....it is that simple . Fill that first and work on the rest and what we have in house now and next season before we move assets out . Don't be so eager to move young guys . Captaincy..no big deal ....let the players decide . Girardi the real Ranger warrior should have been captain before McDonagh .

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Completely disagree with everyone who says the captaincy doesn’t matter. When you designate 3 or 4 players with an “A” it becomes a too many cooks in the kitchen situation. ..

It only becomes an issue if these "A" are not on the same page and create cliques within the team or one or more of these guys are not universally respected.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I really want to see Trouba step up in a big way.
If he ends up the way I expect, I see him as Captain material.
This all of course is dependent on DQ getting his head out of his ass and actually implementing a defensive scheme...But I'll hold my breath..

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad