Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Anyone saying the C ruined McDonagh has no clue what they’re talking about. The injuries piling up, mileage and being stuck next to one of the worst defenseman of the decade were bigger reasons for his downfall than the C. He was a fine captain.

Would he have gotten injured as often if he wasn't wearing the C?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
F
I don't care either, but all i know is I want my captain to show up to every f***ing game and show the kids how to compete every shift.
Forgot to add one thing....TAKE NO SHIT ...and be able to be proactive and reactive when called to do so . At this point...we have two guys that can do this mentally and physically in Trouba and in Kreider to a certain degree . So it is down to Kreider or Trouba for the next 5 seasons before Lafreniere gets it and we see one or both of them two gone . The other gets an A along with Zibs and Lindgren . Gotta get this right as it sets a tone of how we want our club to go about taking care of business on the ice . No time for kitty kats playing with us anymore.....instill the pack attitude and let clubs know we are not the Rangers of old anymore .

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Anyone saying the C ruined McDonagh has no clue what they’re talking about. The injuries piling up, mileage and being stuck next to one of the worst defenseman of the decade were bigger reasons for his downfall than the C. He was a fine captain.

You clearly don't understand that it's possible that there were factors involving injuries (which I agree with), mileage (which I agree with), and teammates (which I disagree with) while still having the weight of the captaincy *also* be a factor.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
“Ruin him,” is an exaggeration, but it doesn’t sound like it did him any favors either. I don’t think it’s coincidental that the team hasn’t rushed to give it to anyone else since, and is waiting for the right fit.

I tend to think that this is something that matters more to fans than the players. I don’t think the players are wandering around like Lemmings until they see someone walking around with a C on his chest.

I think some of the perception among Rangers fans is guided by the Messier-effect. He was such a larger than life personality, that the captaincy really came to define the team. That's not always the case --- in fact it's most often not the case. Sometimes that can be a good thing, sometimes not so much.

I think being a captain does require a certain personality. It's more than just being a leader --- you can be a leader without a letter. But at the NHL level, it includes the guy who is willing to define a culture to varying degrees, or take a teammate aside and have a frank conversation with them, or walk that fine line between communicating with the coach and sometimes the front office while still being one of the boys.

Many times it's the guy who is willing to personify the team's struggles and use himself as an example, or be made an example. It's the guy willing to talk to reporters after a game, or do additional media/public appearances, etc.

I don't know if fans truly grasp that. When we would do events, the captain was almost always there. He didn't get some of them, he wasn't part of a rotation, he was part of all of the different events.

The difference between wearing a C and wearing an A can be very different in certain markets and for certain teams. That weight is going to be different in Columbus, or Raleigh or Miami than it is in New York City, or Boston, or Toronto.

I think you have some guys who do very well with it (Messier, Jagr, Callahan) and some guys whose personality makes it a more difficult fit (Leetch, McD). Not unlike a business setting, some people really do their best when serving as an Assistant Director or the head of a department rather than serving as Director or division head.

I don't think that should ever be viewed as an insult. A lot of times it feels like one because we like a particular player, or we really want them to have the storybook tale, or it gives us a sense that they aren't as likely to be moved, or whatever.

I would keep that in mind when we wonder why certain guys aren't named captain. It's not an insult or because they aren't capable of leading in their own. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'd give it to Mika. He's earned it, complete player, shows up and crushes it. Has improved every year. This isn't a McDonagh situation where there were more seasoned veterans in the locker room, and maybe you had a couple of guys that didn't really want the C or the timing fit. That was a tough spot for a captaincy.

With Mika, he is coming up and leading a new core. None of the veteran guys are here anymore, including Hank and Staal. Chris is a lifer now and you don't need the C to be a leader. It's a lot of interviews when you're the captain. Sometimes teams let the guys vote on it, but Mika was the all-situations player and an absolute predator at that. Plus it'd be hilarious if he gave cliched responses. You can basically do the same interview on Regional, US National, and Canadian National with a few twists here and there and obviously get your plugs out.

Reactions: egelband

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I know this is not the right thread to ask this, but I wasn't sure where:

Anyone know of any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals as it pertains to Rangers merchandise? I want to buy my brother either a Lafreniere jersey or a Laffy jersey shirt.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know this is not the right thread to ask this, but I wasn't sure where:

Anyone know of any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals as it pertains to Rangers merchandise? I want to buy my brother either a Lafreniere jersey or a Laffy jersey shirt.
The All Things Jersey thread covered some deals with Cool Hockey. Don’t know if those deals are still going, but I had asked a lot of questions about the different sites in what should still be the last two pages.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Zibanejad is a quiet milquetoast lead by example type who doesn’t exemplify big personality or leadership. Panarin does and is basically Ovi level of personality, I think barring the language barrier he is the best choice atm. But I would be shocked if we don’t wait to name Laf captain. He is tailor-made for the role and is someone who has attitude & a snarl to his game

C - Lafreniere
A - Panarin
A - Kreider
A - Zibanejad
A - DeAngelo

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I'm no expert, but lafreniere sure seems like a guy who relishes pressure and having the game on his stick. That's the kinda guy you want to lead your team
This has been covered in a lot of scouting reports on him. I have no problem waiting to see what Laf can do but yeah its not far fetched to think they just drafted their next captain and its just a matter of time until he gets the C.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Zibanejad is a quiet milquetoast lead by example type who doesn’t exemplify big personality or leadership. Panarin does and is basically Ovi level of personality, I think barring the language barrier he is the best choice atm. But I would be shocked if we don’t wait to name Laf captain. He is tailor-made for the role and is someone who has attitude & a snarl to his game

C - Lafreniere
A - Panarin
A - Kreider
A - Zibanejad
A - DeAngelo

Can we please stick to 3 players. This Oprah-attitude the Rangers have had when handing out letters needs to end

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Lafreniere strikes me as the kind of guy who actually WANTS to be a team Captain, where as if someone told me that Kreider and Mika DON'T want the C, I wouldn't have a hard time believing you. Obviously i'm not in the locker room so I could be way off base, but it really does seem that simple from this far away. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of my unions shop steward title. The few perks the title comes with aren't worth the headache and added responsibility for the large majority, it takes a very certain kind of person to want it.

As Edge mentioned, they aren't giving it to Mika unless they are sure they will extend him which there is no way they can be at this point. Kreider really falls under what I wrote above from my perspective. I don't think he want's it. Heck, even if he only kinda, sorta want's it it is grounds for exclusion. I think the Rangers have at least two years to pick the right Captain for this new team and they would be stupid not to use them. Speaking of two years.....

Just a fun thought exercise, personally I think the Eichel smoke will thicken over the course of time. Specifically the next two years. Hypothetically, if he came over would he get the C over Lafreniere? I'm mainly thinking about the Leafs here with them picking Tavares over AM who I thought was a lock for it. It's a tough call for me.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Lafreniere strikes me as the kind of guy who actually WANTS to be a team Captain, where as if someone told me that Kreider and Mika DON'T want the C, I wouldn't have a hard time believing you. Obviously i'm not in the locker room so I could be way off base, but it really does seem that simple from this far away. Honestly, it kind of reminds me of my unions shop steward title. The few perks the title comes with aren't worth the headache and added responsibility for the large majority, it takes a very certain kind of person to want it.

As Edge mentioned, they aren't giving it to Mika unless they are sure they will extend him which there is no way they can be at this point. Kreider really falls under what I wrote above from my perspective. I don't think he want's it. Heck, even if he only kinda, sorta want's it it is grounds for exclusion. I think the Rangers have at least two years to pick the right Captain for this new team and they would be stupid not to use them. Speaking of two years.....

Just a fun thought exercise, personally I think the Eichel smoke will thicken over the course of time. Specifically the next two years. Hypothetically, if he came over would he get the C over Lafreniere? I'm mainly thinking about the Leafs here with them picking Tavares over AM who I thought was a lock for it. It's a tough call for me.
Leafs would have picked Matthews for sure if he didn't get into trouble that summer, I think.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Brett Howden and one of or 4th rounders to Beantown for Trent Fredric and a 3rd rounder + a 7th rounder in 2021 - would we make this trade? Would Boston?

Reactions: McSauer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad