Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Probably not a bad candidate for the old Rangers Bridge. I have no idea what he'll be like in two years. If he looks great, find the money or trade him (probably next offseason), and if he goes Gostisbehere then we're protected.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
That's a pretty solid deal for both sides.
Should keep ADA nice and hungry to keep proving himself as well so that he can cash in when the cap (hopefully) lifts

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I won’t say screwed, but they’re not great decisions. Hindsight always is clearer though. Trouba was coming off a 50+ point season as a righty in his prime. We had no idea DeAngelo would bust the doors off and I can’t even remember if we’d acquired Fox yet, but we certainly didn’t know how good he’d be. Lundkvist hadn’t had another great season yet either. And the cap was trending up rapidly. Trouba isn’t old and they thought he’d anchor the D for years to come, though the contract is steep.

Re-signing Kreider and self renting Fast when we were outside of a playoff spot was a worse decision and more at odds with our purported plan. Yes, we were looking like hopefuls, but hopefuls and contenders are not the same thing. At the TDL Fast could have gotten a decent return and Kreider could have certainly brought back good assets. Yes, Kreider’s physicality and leadership and net front are all assets, but 7 years at 6.5M brings him to 36. The contract, in my opinion, will be movable in years 3-7 if we have to move it, even if it means retaining 1.5 or so. Not the end of the world. Again, the cap was trending up rapidly as well and there was no way to predict the flat cap, let alone multiple years of it, and they never could have guessed they’d luck into a potential franchise LW.

Ultimately I’m not upset at either move, but Trouba’s AAV stings and not moving Kreider/Fast at the TDL just somewhat contradicts the mantra of patience. I like both as players. I wish Trouba was at 6.5 and Kreider was at 6 for only 4 years. C’est la vie.

At the time these deals were made Kreider’s was a lot more controversial. Given the circumstances (you described them) and terms of contracts I absolutely don’t feel like giving Gorton hard time.

Reactions: LokiDog

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yes I believe he has 3 years to get to UFA eligibility.

Good news is that this is a very, very tradable contract in the event that he even takes a small step back next season.
Was thinking the exact same thing. $4.8 is not a bad cap hit. And say, a 2C comes along that the Rangers want to trade for, DeAngelo could be a very attractive piece at that cap hit with team control still after the contract is up

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
So how much money we have now to sign Strome and Lemieux while staying under the cap enough with the bonus penalties?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
So how much money we have now to sign Strome and Lemieux while staying under the cap enough with the bonus penalties?

As the roster is currently constructed, about $6.8MM left but some of the players won't start in the NHL, so another $700K to $1.5MM will be freed up depending on who makes the team.

This is including the $4MM in bonus penalties.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
4.8+2.425 = 7.225m. Which is about right for Georgiev and DeAngelo. Thought combined they would come in around 7.5m. I’ll take it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
As the roster is currently constructed, about $6.8MM left but some of the players won't start in the NHL, so another $700K to $1.5MM will be freed up depending on who makes the team.

This is including the $4MM in bonus penalties.
Which would still allow them to sign a veteran forward on the cheap. Maybe 2 depending on how they navigated the roster moves. Granlund/Haula/Boyle all still possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad