Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
that increase is horrible for us as a base to Georgiev's next contract. I dont think a team will trade for him unless they plan on him being their starter. That will reduce a number of teams' interest in him, and we are stuck with a handsomely paid, decreasing in value backup.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
How though? They're all pretty different players who were acquired at different times in their careers and their contract structures couldn't be more different.

I'd agree if they signed Shattenkirk for 6-7 years, but they didn't.
Really good point. That Shattenkirk contract was a gem when signed - downside was totally mitigated.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
If they are planning on playing anything close to an 82 game schedule then Georgiev will likely get a lot of work spelling Shesty.
Would that 2nd year make him of interest to Seattle in a trade so that we don't lose a skater? They get a pretty cheap, low-end starter with a year to evaluate him at a good cap hit before deciding whether to look at either a short or long term deal...

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
We do this every off season. Set rosters according to 5 everything-goes-right scenarios. Kreider thrives on the right, Kakko improves greatly, Kravtsov plays his first NHL games and is an impact, Miller and Baron jump directly from college to NHL regular minutes.

Meanwhile Quinn makes the roster mad libs style. The college kids play in Hartford. Kravtsov shuttles back and forth. Kreider plays all top 9 positions. The depth UFA signings play significant minutes. Howden plays at least one line higher than anyone would slot him. Johnson plays 90% of the games, sometimes getting the most LD minutes. Kakko improving greatly isn't far fetched though.

It's counterintuitive to me. Buch should go this year because he is destined to go at some point since Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier and Baron are coming. Two have played in the NHL and one has made a scoresheet. But bring in Monahan, burn a year off his contract, and simultaneously kick the can another year on having a good roster.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Georgiev being signed for two years makes him one of the more obvious choices for Seattle. He won’t be over the hill and if he plays well this year, he’ll have shown he has at least 1B potential. The contract certainly won’t inhibit them from taking him. He also wouldn’t be a bad rental to a team that finds themself somewhere like Colorado last year, where a rental goalie would make them much more secure. His price won’t be prohibitive there either. Meanwhile, Shesty is set to play his first full NHL season and it’s likely to be condensed and packed with back to backs and quick turn around. Investing a little extra in a solid back up probably isn’t a bad idea.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Georgiev being signed for two years makes him one of the more obvious choices for Seattle. He won’t be over the hill and if he plays well this year, he’ll have shown he has at least 1B potential. The contract certainly won’t inhibit them from taking him. He also wouldn’t be a bad rental to a team that finds themself somewhere like Colorado last year, where a rental goalie would make them much more secure. His price won’t be prohibitive there either. Meanwhile, Shesty is set to play his first full NHL season and it’s likely to be condensed and packed with back to backs and quick turn around. Investing a little extra in a solid back up probably isn’t a bad idea.
I don't see why we would expose him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Rangers do not have to protect Shesterkin so Georgiev would be the obvious goalie they would protect. That's the reason why I would think they signed Kincaid because they need to have one goalie available.

Reactions: NYR

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Ive been watching him since he was a kid, he continues to improve, a lot, year to year. I don’t know where his ceiling is because it keeps changing but 5 years ago he'd have been a big question to be an AHL'er and since then he has leaped forward each year moving the line each year. It doesn’t hurt that he trains with the rest of the guys from Halifax in the summer ie Crosby, Mackinnon, Marchand..
I think Barron is going to end up being what we all hoped Howden could (and still can) be.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don't see why we would expose him.

It would depend on how the other goalie’s in the system have progressed, but they seem to like Wall and on an ELC he’d be far cheaper. I think it depends how well Shesty handles the workload this year. If he’s a no doubt sure fire 1A after this year, I could see AG being exposed.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Larry Brooks discussion of Strome accepting the NYR arbitration offer is interesting, because with what Dadonov just got, I'm not sure Strome could get much more than a 2x4 deal in UFA right now.

He could feasibly see NYR walk away from the reward, not get interest, and then choose to sign our offer.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It would depend on how the other goalie’s in the system have progressed, but they seem to like Wall and on an ELC he’d be far cheaper. I think it depends how well Shesty handles the workload this year. If he’s a no doubt sure fire 1A after this year, I could see AG being exposed.
Wall, Shesty and Huska are all exempt. We have one G protection slot and I dont see how it isnt used on Georgiev.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Including Rooney, Blackwell, PDG and Bitetto we well as counting the $4MM in dead cap space for bonus overage. Rangers have $11.7MM to resign ADA, Strome and Lemiuex.

If that true it’s tight but I think Strome gets squeezed under 4.5

If they get desperate I think Smith can be dealt w some retention

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Problem is that creates a lot of ifs and buts. The first "if" starts regarding Kreider being able to move over successfully. Of course it could happen. But will it? We all know that switching positions is not that easy. Not unheard of, but far from common. So great IF he can, BUT what if it does not work? Now you are going in with Kakko as your top RW. Great, IF he is ready. BUT what if he is not? And that leaves Gauthier battling Kravstov to see who the second line RW is. Not a scenario I think that is envisioned. I think that anytime you have a scenario whose success is predicated on player X being able to shift positions, you are on a very slippery slope.

Agreed on all points and that's ultimately what the Rangers are going to have to decide --- because as you noted, it's not inherently a slam dunk decision.

I think that's why the Rangers have preferred dangling ADA as an option to land their second line center. But thus far, those potential trading partners went different directions.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Could be the a signed Georgiev makes for a good trading chip.

But I think that they want to hedge their bet a bit here. No matter what we think of him, I am not sure that Shestyorkin is ready to take on Henke's full load. I could see where Georgiev gets in 25 games or so.
Are we assuming Igor drives this season or doesn’t drive? Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad