Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think Fast is gone... he’ll probably get 3 years from a contender for 3+ million AAV. Those are the guys you may have to let walk to get your top guys locked up long term and hopefully avoid bridging everyone. It may not be an issue now but it likely will be 2-3 years from now.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am excited about their high end youth, I've been on the rebuild bandwagon since before there was a bandwagon, yet sometimes it takes that youth some NHL seasons to realize their potential.

Everyone was very excited about Kakko last season, let's be honest, he struggled. We saw glimpses all year, and even better in the 3 game play in. Chytil similarly has improved, yet still I am not sure anyone can say he is in his prime. No reason to go through all the youth here the point remains they are young and the Rangers have time.

That does not mean I think they should just sit around, more the timing right now for next season has them with a bunch of dead and badly allocated cap space. Much of that goes away next off-season when they'll know more about that youth. At some point potential will likely meet reality yet next year is probably not when that all comes together nor does it need to be.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think Fast is gone... he’ll probably get 3 years from a contender for 3+ million AAV. Those are the guys you may have to let walk to get your top guys locked up long term and hopefully avoid bridging everyone. It may not be an issue now but it likely will be 2-3 years from now.
Agreed. As much as I want Fast to stay he is gonna get a nice contract With the attributes he brings especially defensively. So sadly he will price himself out for us

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Agree. he was definitely playing over his ability on the 2nd line. He's really more of a 3rd liner and not even a stellar one at that in terms of point production. (may I expect too much?)
He'd still be great to keep if his AAV is under 3 million but then again, I looked at his PK stats. He was the worst PKers (among our top 4-5 PK forwards) in terms of PPGA/60. Maybe Martin fixes that? I don't remember if he was bad or just got the short end of taking all the top PK matchups.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I've been thinking about all the newfound cap space Gorton has accumulated in the last week and I wonder if he might have a bigger target in mind than what we have been discussing. I've not been a big fan of how Oliver Ekman Larsson has played over the past few years but this article from Coyote Insider has some interesting points. OEL needs a change of scenery. The site is typically subscription but this article is unlocked.

Gauging league perception of Ekman-Larsson’s game, his contract and the wisdom of trading him

I've not necessarily advocating a trade here and I couldn't begin to put pieces together but I've got this nagging thought that Gorton isn't interested in small stuff. If he can find the right deal for a big piece, he has some room to maneuver.

Perhaps there are other higher end left defensemen who might be available

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hedman- 29
McDonagh-31
Stamkos- 30
Kuch- 27
Johnson- 30
Palat- 29

It boggles my mind how the Rangers can't win a cup with Zibanejad or Panarin. The Lightning have guys late 20s early 30s and then Point, Serg, Vasi. The Rangers will be the opposite. They will have elite players in their early-mid 20s along with Panarin, Kreider and Zibanejad. One gets better with age, the other plays a game where he will be elite well into his 30s. If a 31 year old Kreider is what we are worrying about then we have nothing to complain about. Even Washington got it done with Backstrom, Oshie and Ovechkin at 30,31,32 respectively.

I didn’t say they can’t win a Cup with those guys. I said those four names need help. And that to get that help they need Lafreniere Kakko et al to mature.

But by that time we are talking these guys being 30, 31. Pretty limited amount of time then.

Unless we also have a center to grow with Kakko and Lafreniere.... that extends our window for a long, long time.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I've been thinking about all the newfound cap space Gorton has accumulated in the last week and I wonder if he might have a bigger target in mind than what we have been discussing. I've not been a big fan of how Oliver Ekman Larsson has played over the past few years but this article from Coyote Insider has some interesting points. OEL needs a change of scenery. The site is typically subscription but this article is unlocked.

Gauging league perception of Ekman-Larsson’s game, his contract and the wisdom of trading him

I've not necessarily advocating a trade here and I couldn't begin to put pieces together but I've got this nagging thought that Gorton isn't interested in small stuff. If he can find the right deal for a big piece, he has some room to maneuver.

How do you think OEL would play with Trouba?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
AA is in a good position to get a contract for so little that he could be demoted to prevent much of it applying to our cap. There's no one on our depth chart right now that he would block this or next season. He could be exposed to Seattle, and if Seattle smartly chose a Howden/Gauthier/Lemieux instead, well then AA is acceptable and probably affordable bottom-six depth. Its just a question of his ask.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

I agree. I think there’s something fairly big coming. I doubt it’s OEL though. I think he’s a poor fit and I think - or at least hope - there recent buy outs and trades have them a little gun shy on these long term deals to aging defensemen.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Dreger said only Vancouver and Boston are in the mix. Sounds like those are the only places he’ll waive. Either that or the Rangers aren’t interested

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
AA is in a good position to get a contract for so little that he could be demoted to prevent much of it applying to our cap. There's no one on our depth chart right now that he would block this or next season. He could be exposed to Seattle, and if Seattle smartly chose a Howden/Gauthier/Lemieux instead, well then AA is acceptable and probably affordable bottom-six depth. Its just a question of his ask.

I don’t think this team has a strong need for offensive one dimensional wingers as currently constructed. If he were physical and an ace pk guy then I’d be interested but I don’t see the point in taking up a contract spot or salary cap space. There should be better fits out there.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Absolutely not.

Reactions: bleedblue94

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
So I haven’t checked for rumors or anything in a day or two. Why is there 40 pages in 1 day? Is something gonna happen. All I’ve seen are Eichel “rumors”. And wth are these ads in the middle of posts? T

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

there are guys on the yotes that I'd try to pry away due to their issues but OEL would literally be the last player on that list. $8.25 mil for 7 more years till he is 36? yuck

Reactions: Barnaby

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I don’t think this team has a strong need for offensive one dimensional wingers as currently constructed. If he were physical and an ace pk guy then I’d be interested but I don’t see the point in taking up a contract spot or salary cap space. There should be better fits out there.
I think he'd be fine with one more of Lemieux, Gauthier, and/or Fast on his wing(s). A sneaky player who can break through zones unexpectedly would complement the bottom six like Hagelin or Grabner used to.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

I'm fine with Fast leaving.

Bottom 6 should be replaced internally.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll tell you what I think we’ve got a lot going on. I think Strome is leaving. I think Buch might be moved. I think tony might seriously be moved I think our pick is in play I think we’re looking at well known centers I think an LD theres a lot going on right now imo. I think Gorton is looking to pick off a star or two from teams desperate to move move money.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Well AA sucks too lirl. I don’t know, all this cap space makes me think re-signing Fast is a possibility.

He's ok. You can never have too much speed and he's a guy that can pot 10-15 goals a year.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad