Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Georgiev isn’t getting any kind of big money on this next deal guys I don’t know where that came from. He’s hardly put up starter numbers. I think he’ll be in around 2 mil give or take. If that. Wouldn’t worry about him he’s still got plenty to prove. He’s not getting traded.

@Edge said there were talks/murmers involving trading him, so it is something the Rangers are looking at - and so they should. He's not an untouchable. I think your number above is actually high, I'm thinking 1.5M x 2

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I think Fleury will be looking for a chance to be the starter, which he won't get here, barring injury.

Thing is, he only has a 10 team no trade list. We might be on there but who knows for sure.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Meh, that podcast was a lot of speculation and "New York or bust" - implying that if Georgiev were moved that he'd finish out his contract.

I firmly believe that if his mind were made up he would've announced it already. He still might, but I think it's contingent on what the Rangers do and further conversations with JD & JG.

I think the decision is definitely dependent on that conversation...he isn't going to retire if the rangers are keeping him. the question is if the rangers say to him look we have no choice we are going to have to buyout the final year, what does he do? but i'm sure he's hoping they find a great deal for georgiev and he can stay.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Meh, that podcast was a lot of speculation and "New York or bust" - implying that if Georgiev were moved that he'd finish out his contract.

I firmly believe that if his mind were made up he would've announced it already. He still might, but I think it's contingent on what the Rangers do and further conversations with JD & JG.

He also did say that the word amongst the players hes spoken to is that he's going to retire.

Whether or not that happens straight up, post buyout or whatever, who knows? But all signs have pointed to him being the guy on the outs for a while now with Igor and Geo as 1-2 next year (as much as I disagree with Geo staying here.)

FWIW, I think he does the organization one final solid and retires without the buyout.

Reactions: UnSandvich

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
According to that link, it's only for compliance buyouts. I thought it was for all buyouts, but Calgary clearly did it.

So while TECHNICALLY allowed to re-sign a player you bought-out (ignore the rules on compliance buy-outs since that provision is expired), the NHL had to sign-off on the Michael Stone situation.

Calgary was able to show that their reasoning behind signing Stone wasn't cap circumvention (Valimaki blew out his ACL in Sept, a month after they bought out Stone) but a last minute replacement. Also if my memory serves correctly, Stone's agent also confirmed to the league that there weren't other offers for Michael Stone.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I didn’t say it was any different since I’ve already been saying exactly this haha

but he isn’t going to play for another team and he isn’t playing for us so he’s retiring just don’t know how yet

I get that but most people's concern is the rangers cap situation not whether or not you can claim to be right LOL...hank retiring means $8.5 mil disappears from our cap. if he retires after the buyout it doesn't help us.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Thing is, he only has a 10 team no trade list. We might be on there but who knows for sure.

True, but I think Vegas will do their best to accommodate him, especially considering the bad blood recently.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
He also did say that the word amongst the players hes spoken to is that he's going to retire.

Whether or not that happens straight up, post buyout or whatever, who knows? But all signs have pointed to him being the guy on the outs for a while now with Igor and Geo as 1-2 next year (as much as I disagree with Geo staying here.)

FWIW, I think he does the organization one final solid and retires without the buyout.

Yeah, he might. From what I gathered the podcast was talking about what the players are speculating that he might do, not that they've talked to him or whatever. The podcasters said the same thing. People around Lundqvist, though, are saying he's not retiring. So, we're back to where we've been. In the dark.

It'll be a sad day, whether now or later, that's for sure but the writing is on the wall.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Didn't the league also have a say in Orpik being traded, bought out by some other team, then re-signing in Washington?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
@Edge said there were talks/murmers involving trading him, so it is something the Rangers are looking at - and so they should. He's not an untouchable. I think your number above is actually high, I'm thinking 1.5M x 2

youre probably right it’s probably closer to 1.5 than 2. I was feeling generous

Reactions: Off Sides

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I get that but most people's concern is the rangers cap situation not whether or not you can claim to be right LOL...hank retiring means $8.5 mil disappears from our cap. if he retires after the buyout it doesn't help us.

First off you know I’m going to claim to be right regardless

I think he does the right thing and retires outright

Reactions: Leetch3

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So while TECHNICALLY allowed to re-sign a player you bought-out (ignore the rules on compliance buy-outs since that provision is expired), the NHL had to sign-off on the Michael Stone situation.

Calgary was able to show that their reasoning behind signing Stone wasn't cap circumvention (Valimaki blew out his ACL in Sept, a month after they bought out Stone) but a last minute replacement. Also if my memory serves correctly, Stone's agent also confirmed to the league that there weren't other offers for Michael Stone.

If that's the case, then I guess it won't work. The league really should allow it though. If the team and the player both agree to it, why not? The team is still incurring the same cap penalties regardless.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yeah, he might. From what I gathered the podcast was talking about what the players are speculating that he might do, not that they've talked to him or whatever. The podcasters said the same thing. People around Lundqvist, though, are saying he's not retiring. So, we're back to where we've been. In the dark.

It'll be a sad day, whether now or later, that's for sure but the writing is on the wall.

ooooh thats not how I took it. I took it as the word on the street from players that would be in the know is he’s going to retire.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think the players would know though. Assuming that Kyper spoke to guys on the Rangers or other Swedes.

People around Lundqvist rumors came out a while ago. Perspectives change with time and its entirely possible that he'd rather hang em up and stay in NY with his family rather than try to catch on somewhere else. The only thing he has left to do is win a cup and the teams with the best chance at doing that are not really in the market for a goalie.

We'll get our answer soon enough. For his sake, the sake of the cap and just overall perception I hope he just calls it quits on his own.

Reactions: Kovalev27

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
First off you know I’m going to claim to be right regardless

I think he does the right thing and retires outright

We need a poll, will Henrik Lundqvist pull a:

- Chris Drury / Buy-out and Retire
- Markus Naslund / Retire and leave money on the table
- Kevin Shattenkirk / Buy-out and play elsewhere for reduced salary

(I vote Drury)

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
ooooh thats not how I took it. I took it as the word on the street from players that would be in the know is he’s going to retire.

Paraphrasing: "Players are talking about retirement that he will not want to play for another team - it's New York or bust."

That doesn't sound like people in the know to me. Like I said, I think if it were a done deal/decision made, he would've announced it already and maybe played in Sweden. He might still do it, but I think it's contingent upon what JG/JD do.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Didn't the league also have a say in Orpik being traded, bought out by some other team, then re-signing in Washington?
I think they looked into it to make sure there wasn't a sort of paper trail saying the buyout from Colorado so he could go back to Washington was part of the agreed upon trade (even though it probably was)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think it’s pretty safe to bet the players he’s referring to would be in the know He made it clear at the beginning of the pod he had an update on Henrik. Just speculating wouldn’t be newsworthy. I don’t know who these “people that are close to Lundqvist” are otherwise that you mentioned. But I can’t imagine they’d know more whoever they are.

it’s also pretty easy to do the math this offseason he isn’t going to have a chair when the music stops. Too many better younger goalies out there. And he is more tied to NYC than anything else. When you add it all up I’m not claiming insider info here it’s pretty clear what’s most likely going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad