Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
All the trade ideas around here don't include any players with salary going back to Buffalo. Haven't seen Trouba or Kreider mentioned. What am I missing? How are all these players getting paid in a few years or are we trading a bunch of our own players coming off their ELCs?
I don't think its happening and understand a trade for Eichel should sting but c'mon... at least start with something around Kreider, TDA and Chytil to make in interesting.

Kreider's NMC: Can anyone confirm that because of the Return to Play rules, Kreider's NMC doesn't kick in until 9PM on 10/9... after the 1st round of the draft?

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As I said earlier, every team in the league wants a Jack Eichel but that comes at a price. We're not in any position right now where we need to pay that price. We're fine doing what we're doing.

If we were like right there and making a move to go over the top, I could see it. I cannot stress enough how far we are from that. Our hot finish to the regular season (which was basically just Zibanejad, let's be real) sanitized how bad this team still is. We got clowned in the play-in by a team that hadn't beaten us since they were the f***in Whalers so that should tell you how ready we are.

Now is the time to exercise patience. This is the easiest off-season of all-time. You walk up to the podium, you say hi to mom, and you say "Alexis Lafreniere." Boom. Done. Ingenuous. Hire Machinehead.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
All the trade ideas around here don't include any players with salary going back to Buffalo. Haven't seen Trouba or Kreider mentioned. What am I missing? How are all these players getting paid in a few years or are we trading a bunch of our own players coming off their ELCs?
I don't think its happening and understand a trade for Eichel should sting but c'mon... at least start with something around Kreider, TDA and Chytil to make in interesting.
Kreider has a full NMC and would likely use it against Buffalo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As I said earlier, every team in the league wants a Jack Eichel but that comes at a price. We're not in any position right now where we need to pay that price. We're fine doing what we're doing.

If we were like right there and making a move to go over the top, I could see it. I cannot stress enough how far we are from that. Our hot finish to the regular season (which was basically just Zibanejad, let's be real) sanitized how bad this team still is. We got clowned in the play-in by a team that hadn't beaten us since they were the f***in Whalers so that should tell you how ready we are.

Now is the time to exercise patience. This is the easiest off-season of all-time. You walk up to the podium, you say hi to mom, and you say "Alexis Lafreniere." Boom. Done. Ingenuous. Hire Machinehead.

I disagree with your premise. Eichel is 23 years old and one of the very best centers in the game. A true #1 not even in his prime yet. The Rangers should pay the price if he's available.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
There is never a bad time to add a player like Eichel to your team.
Whats the poop in Buffalo? They got something against franchise centers?

Reactions: mas0764

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because he’s someone the Rangers are willing to discuss about trading, much like Buchnevich, Strome, Lemieux and Georgiev.
So… because the Rangers are willing to discuss ADA, and because Buffalo has interest in ADA, ADA will be a part of any deal for Eichel? No. That's a leap.

Youre assuming we know all the players that the Rangers are and aren't willing to discuss. We dont.

Youre assuming the Rangers dont prefer to move pieces other than ADA for Eichel. We dont know that.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider has a full NMC and would likely use it against Buffalo.
Could be wrong but I believe because of the Return to Play rules, Kreider's NMC goes into effect on 10/9 at 9PM after the 1st round of the draft.
Speculate away, lol but again I just don't see an Eichel trade happening. Not unless some salary is going back to Buffalo.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree with your premise. Eichel is 23 years old and one of the very best centers in the game. A true #1 not even in his prime yet. The Rangers should pay the price if he's available.
The price is going to be Lafreniere+.

When you have an asset like this, teams aren't going to deal in good faith.

It reminds me of when the Yankees effectively couldn't trade for a year because nobody would even negotiate if it wasn't for Gleyber Torres.

When Eichel gets here and we're still bad, people are gonna wish we had the 18 year old still on an ELC.

Not to mention the whole point of this would be to have Eichel *and* Zibanejad. We're not keeping Zibanejad after taking on Eichel's contract.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

When to have an asset like this, teams aren't going to deal in good faith.

It reminds me of when the Yankees effectively couldn't trade for a year because nobody would even negotiate if it wasn't for Gleyber Torres.

When Eichel gets here and we're still bad, people are gonna wish we had the 18 year old still on an ELC.

Not to mention the whole point of this either be to have Eichel *and* Zibanejad. We're not keeping Zibanejad after taking on Eichel's contract.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
When a player that is top 5 in league is rumored to be available you have to inquire if he's truly available.

If ADA ( 5.5 X 5 ) and Strome ( 4.5 X 3 ) would cost around 10 million why not try to put both in the deal.

ADA, Strome, Kravtsov, number 22, first round next year--I would try and stay away from including Chytil. If we have to include Chytil then no next year first rounder..

ADA and Strome's salary would be close to a wash with Eichel. Buffalo would be looking for a center with Eichel dealt so there's where Strome comes into play.

Buffalo drafting at 8 would allow them to grab an additional center if they wanted--where as 22 would also allow them to grab another good young player.

Strome in this trade would not just be a throw in but would Buffalo additional time for whomever they are drafting.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Could be wrong but I believe because of the Return to Play rules, Kreider's NMC goes into effect on 10/9 at 9PM after the 1st round of the draft.
Speculate away, lol but again I just don't see an Eichel trade happening. Not unless some salary is going back to Buffalo.
If so, then the clause that is in effect is the 11-team NTC on his last contract, and there's no way Buffalo isnt on that.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Strictly cap speaking, it were not for the Kreider contract I think the Rangers could pull off the 10M for Eichel. It's kind of strange that Eichel only has a cap hit of 2M more than Trouba too.

Asset wise, I think it's probably going to cost too much as neither of those two would likely be included going back.

Overall I think having Panarin, Eichel, Trouba, Kreider, while players like Shesty, Fox, etc will need new deals, then the next round Kakko, Laf, under a flat, or not greatly increasing cap probably ends up making it tough if not impossible for the Rangers to ice a legit contending roster beyond those 8 or so players.

In other words, Panarin, Eichel,Shesty, Fox, Kakko, Laf would work, just not with the cap hits and clauses that are also attached to Kreider and Trouba.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I'm guessing the Rangers are maintaining consistent tabs and hedging a bet that Eichel asks out of there sooner rather than later.

We won't pony up the top dollar price that comes from us reaching out to them. But, when Eichel wants out and it is now Buffalo making the calls, we'll be top of the list (because of reports like this, likely a destination where Eichel wants to go to, and because we've maintained communication about it) and the price will likely shift to a package rather than something like Laf/Kakko.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If so, then the clause that is in effect is the 11-team NTC on his last contract, and there's no way Buffalo isnt on that.

it depends on how the player decides to use it. eric staal didn't have buffalo on it, not because he was ok with going to buffalo but because he didn't think there was any chance they would trade for him. so he isn't listed the teams that he thought might trade for him so he had to ok the deal.

Reactions: charliemurphy

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
If so, then the clause that is in effect is the 11-team NTC, and there's no way Buffalo isnt on that.

I don't know what teams are on his list or not.
My point is, if he's asked to submit his list of teams then Kreider wouldn't have a say as to whether or not he gets traded. Whether its Buffalo or another team.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Not to mention the whole point of this would be to have Eichel *and* Zibanejad. We're not keeping Zibanejad after taking on Eichel's contract.
I mean IF Eichel is actually requesting a trade the Sabres aren't in a position to be demanding a player like Laf or Kakko.

Last edited:

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I don't know guys the Staal trade came out of the blue and 5.7 fesnaggles(as JD says) were freed up. Strome to the Sens rumor.. So it comes down to the 2nd overall pick from last year for the 2nd overall pick from 2015. K2 as the center piece gives some slack to the Sabres in the PR department. So ADA,K2, Lias and the lower 1st this year is a decent offer. Of course if they want Filip instead of K2 you do it. Eichel is signed to a good contract. If rumors are true that Buffalo wants to be at 70+ million on the cap this trade does it. Its not so far fetched.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

It wouldn't cost Lafreniere, just won't and it doesn't make sense for the Rangers.

Reactions: RGY

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean IF Eichel is actually requesting a trade the Sabres aren't in a position to be demanding a player like Laf of Kakko.
Eichel has a contract with the Buffalo Sabres whether he likes it or not. They're going to ask for your best asset and somebody will give it to them. It's madness to think this won't cost us a ransom.

It's also costing us Zibanejad. I don't know where you guys think the Rangers are finding room for 10 million in new salary. That would make it hard to even ice a team this winter.

Reactions: Gardner McKay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad