Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
At "face value" Eichel has not asked for a trade. Essentially, if he has asked for one then it is not being made public. This could simply be a courtesy. Do you think that the Sabres organization leaked this to Bob? Yeah, right... lol Rangers could have, but there is hardly incentive there.

Also, there are likely only a handful of teams that could be landing spots in a vacuum that have the expendable assets and cap space to accommodate. But, I highly highly doubt Eichel would get shipped to Calgary or Winnipeg. Players do not want to go there at all. He'd rather stay in Buffalo. He doesn't have a NMC/NTC that has kicked in yet, but a player of his caliber, especially if a trade request is being kept under wraps, will get some say.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Can't see Buch being the piece going back for Lindholm unless there is a pretty decent secondary piece going back.

Dillon I would hope Gorton wouldn't give a NMC.
Apparently Calgary likes him. Not sure I like trading him either though. Creates another hole.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
#22 in this draft, 2021 1st unprotected, Kravstov, Lundkvist

I'm sure we would offer to include ADA/Buch/Strome/Lemiuex but I don't think Buffalo wants roster players that aren't around age 20 or younger.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I mean if a player like Eichel ever becomes available, you wouldn’t be doing your job if you didn’t put an offer in, but this isn’t a player we should obsess over. It’s not even confirmed he wants out of Buffalo.

We need a #2C.

This is ultimately the right take.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I'm sure we would offer to include ADA/Buch/Strome/Lemiuex but I don't think Buffalo wants roster players that aren't around age 20 or younger.

According to @Edge, Buffalo has inquired about DeAngelo, so he most certainly would be going back the other way.

Reactions: Alluckks

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
I mean if a player like Eichel ever becomes available, you wouldn’t be doing your job if you didn’t put an offer in, but this isn’t a player we should obsess over. It’s not even confirmed he wants out of Buffalo.

We need a #2C.

Thanks a lot Bobby Mac.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Why? Are they in financial trouble? Are they cheap like Melnyk?
Also they have enough magic beans in their prospect pool I would think (Yes I know Lundkvist was incredible last year in Sweden). Plus their forward lineup is very thin. They would need a strome/Lemieux/Buch back just to fill out their forward lineup.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Unless there's a bunch of salary going the other way, how would it even work?

I'd much rather keep building from the system than finally draft well only to send it all to another team.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

We need a #2C.
Yeah, it seems to me the most likely thing that started all of this was Buffalo hired a new GM, teams called that new GM to see if he would be interested in trading his best player, maybe starting over and building the team his way, or just seeing who he'd be open to trading, he's the new GM, he listens and gets a feel for how some of his guys are valued around the league. In the meantime, Eichel is frustrated that the Sabres have sucked the entire time he's been there, not really anything new there, but when that stuff is kind of common knowledge, you get people thinking he's asked for a trade behind closed doors, the new GM comes in and they have a chat about what their ideas for the future of the team looks like, they both agree that they want the team to be better and soon. Bob McKenzie is in vacation mode for weeks, he wakes up to start doing draft prep stuff, he hears a rumor about teams calling the Sabres about Eichel, he looks into it, he hears there were teams calling, but it never got far.

Now, based on all of that, if Eichel and the GM are actually on the same page, I'd assume this GM gets a year or two's run way before Eichel starts making some bigger demand about the team or getting traded

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
According to @Edge, Buffalo has inquired about DeAngelo, so he most certainly would be going back the other way.
I didn't know that they asked about him. Good to know. That would likely remove Lundkvist from my proposal and also line up salary better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'd much rather keep building from the system than finally draft well only to send it all to another team.

We have 20+ million in space.

Eichel would eat half of that, but sending DeAngelo would remove the need to keep space open for him, would deem Strome unnecessary, and if Chytil were to also go thats another 900,000 off the cap.

Yes you would need to fill those spots with replacements, but they'd have about 12-13 mill to work with after the trade+hank buyout. Lemieux and Geo would eat about 3 mill combined.

So 10 mill to work with to fill out the rest of your roster. Plenty of space for in house replacements+lower level UFA signings. Honestly it's more than workable.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Eichel would be kind of an unprecedented situation in terms of availability. More than Seguin, Hall, Nash, etc.

But a package of ADA, Chytil, Kravtsov, 2020 pick #22 and a 2021 first would be an unprecedented return for a player who is demanding a trade. (The entire discussion in my mind obviously only makes sense if he has demanded out behind closed doors...without that yes Buffalo asks for 1oA/Kakko and NYR shoot it down for $10M reasons).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I wouldn’t be against a Lundkvist for Brännström trade.

Enough people here have been hyping Lundkvist as a possible future Norris candidate that Im surprised to see him in any trade proposals. :laugh:

Reactions: McSauer

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Apparently Calgary likes him. Not sure I like trading him either though. Creates another hole.

On its face I don’t like trading Buch. For Lindholm I definitely wouldn’t hesitate.

It creates a short term hole, but Panarin, Laf, Kakko, Kreider and Kravstov are all wingers. Lindholm fills our 2C need like a glove and can also play wing. Depending on price, Strome can be brought back as a winger/3C as well and Chytil could end up better suited for the wing. I’m a bigger Buch fan than most, but in the right hockey trade the bigger picture is brighter.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

ADA goes in the deal and that's one less contract the Rangers need to sign. Strome sent out for picks. That's basically all the room you need right there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Enough people here have been hyping Lundkvist as a possible future Norris candidate that Im surprised to see him in any trade proposals. :laugh:

He’s only a potential Norris candidate while he’s OUR prospect. If we trade him he becomes an overrated undersized puck moving prospect. Don’t you know how things work here?

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
According to this, all players that are inquired about are part of an eventual deal.

This also assumes we will hear about all players that are inquired about.

Neither of these are true, and likewise the premise that ADA will absolutely be part of any Eichel deal.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
According to this, all players that are inquired about are part of an eventual deal.

This also assumes we will hear about all players that are inquired about.

Neither of these are true, and likewise the premise that ADA will absolutely be part of any Eichel deal.

Buffalo has confirmed interest in DeAngelo. That was the whole point, belying what @Allucks was suggesting. Thanks anyway.

Reactions: RGY

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Players of Eichel’s caliber rarely get traded to begin with, but plenty of very good players do and the package is almost never equal value.

I tried to make this point earlier but I don't think anyone really wants to believe it. "Fair value" is subjective but also tends to be way too high for a team to want to stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad