Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part LII: The Kakko Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So if Panarin is a no the cap won’t never a problem but I am sure they are talking deals on Shattenkirk , Smith since they could use the space for kids on D

Probably even worth it taking a F contract back just to eleviate the log jam

I talk to Ottawa about Bodeker , Z Smith types

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

Ok, I'll do you the honor of addressing your "proposal" "constructively".

It's not even viable and it can go f*** itself. You always want to trade some really good asset to "maximize" on the return. Dude, ADA himself is the prize! We keep him, no discussion. Finally a defenseman that can chirp, beat opponents up and for Christ sake, did you see his shootouts?!

Also part of your magical mushroom proposal: Shat will have to retire in his last year of the contract ... ok ... AND become a consultant/whatever in the organization ... like why? Who would give a f***? There is two way the "Shat Exit Plan" (who would you cast in the roles?) will pan out. We don't find buyers and he stays two more years and then goes wherever OR there is some buyers (retained salary or not) and we actually get something in return. That's it. Sorry to disappoint, but Shat Exit Plan will be the most boring and predictable movie ever.

I love what you bring to the board bern and your personality, but at some point you need to put the pipe down. There is definitely something neurological and maybe a doctor is more helpful than a ticket.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
JG was on MSG 150 the other night and he said that the Rangers were most certainly looking for a veteran center. I’ve been looking at the FA list and I don’t see one that’s a real fit. Maybe we give Steve Rucchin a call? He couldn’t possibly be slower now than when he was here 13 years ago.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
JG was on MSG 150 the other night and he said that the Rangers were most certainly looking for a veteran center. I’ve been looking at the FA list and I don’t see one that’s a real fit. Maybe we give Steve Rucchin a call? He couldn’t possibly be slower now than when he was here 13 years ago.

I’m usually not in favor of retreads, but I wonder what the cost of Brassard on a 1yr deal would be...I’d imagine he’s looking to rebuild his value.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I still think Mikko Koivu could make a lot of sense. Would have to trade for him but i can’t imagine the price being anything too expensive at this point.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I’m usually not in favor of retreads, but I wonder what the cost of Brassard on a 1yr deal would be...I’d imagine he’s looking to rebuild his value.

I'm the same, but if we are looking for something to obtain assets at the deadline then maybe Brassard on a cheap contract in a year he needs to be better to further his career is something I'd get behind but I don't see us needing another center with all the centers who play wing on this team. Zibanajad, Anderson, Howden, Chytil, Nieves, Namestnicov can all play center.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I love how people always poo-poo the idea of bringing a Finnish player in to support the best prospect in rangers history. Like listen, no just because they’re from the same country doesn’t mean they’ll be pals...but they will have lots of experiences in common , speak the same language and perhaps even have played for some of the same teams. Plus kappo May have even idolized some of these guys(Koivu/filppula). Last and probably most important it shows the player that the organization cares about his comfort and acclimation to North America. It shows another level of commitment. So no, they are not guaranteed to be best pals but that doesn’t make it not worth while.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
this is not apt for general thread
it is specific to KS and NYR

But why he had his breakthrough season last year - it`s like moving a player for the sake of moving him kind of thread with a Kakko topic without involving him in your content..

And who are suppose to feed Kakko with pucks if not DeAngelo, yeah that`s right we will do exact opposite of your proposal and sign him long term 5-6 years here in New York, good attempt though. Only a few guys who are against that and one of them are usually talking on the Rangers Podcast, but it`s not Jim. :)

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I could maybe see Filppula or even Brian Boyle.

Eww, please no.

Edit: I didn't realize you were adding Filppula because he's a Finn.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I'd argue having guys from Scandinavia in general should be fine. We have quite a few in Lias, Hank, Zibby, etc.

I realize they're not the same countries, but the cultures share many similarities and I hardly think it's necessary to take on a player like Filp, who is just not that good, for this sole purpose.

I'd much prefer we take on a guy that might have some untapped upside or a veteran that we think might actually be able to turn back the clock a bit. I think Brassard is probably past it, but I'd rather take a flyer on him than Filp.

Last edited:

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
I love how people always poo-poo the idea of bringing a Finnish player in to support the best prospect in rangers history. Like listen, no just because they’re from the same country doesn’t mean they’ll be pals...but they will have lots of experiences in common , speak the same language and perhaps even have played for some of the same teams. Plus kappo May have even idolized some of these guys(Koivu/filppula). Last and probably most important it shows the player that the organization cares about his comfort and acclimation to North America. It shows another level of commitment. So no, they are not guaranteed to be best pals but that doesn’t make it not worth while.
I was joking but I agree with your assessment. Kakko, even though he is a hockey demigod, is still only 18. There is only reward to bringing over someone like Filppula. Not only is he Finnish but he’s familiar with the area too so he can show Kakko the good places to eat sardine ice cream or whatever they eat in Finland.

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
Eww, please no.

Edit: I didn't realize you were adding Filppula because he's a Finn.

I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I'd argue having guys from Scandinavia in general should be fine. We have quite a few in Lias, Hank, Zibby, etc.

I realize they're not the same countries, but the cultures share many similarities and I hardly think it's necessary to take on a player like Filp, who is just not that good, for this sole purpose.

I'd much prefer we take on a guy that might have some untapped upside or a veteran that we think might actually be able to turn back the clock a bit. I think Brassard is probably past it, but I'd rather take a flyer on him than Filp.
We can’t field a team of just kids and put them in prominent roles with all the responsibility. That’s how you become the Edmonton Oilers. That and having 10 centers and no wingers.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Shatty is not a headache, especially considering that we have Trouba now so there is at least one RD suited to the bigger skilled forwards.

Option 1: Play Fox in Hartford.

Option 2: Play one of DeAngelo/Shattenkirk on the left (DeAngelo-Shattenkirk were ridiculously dominant as a pairing with Tony on the left in a limited sample).

EZ.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I was joking but I agree with your assessment. Kakko, even though he is a hockey demigod, is still only 18. There is only reward to bringing over someone like Filppula. Not only is he Finnish but he’s familiar with the area too so he can show Kakko the good places to eat sardine ice cream or whatever they eat in Finland.
I didn’t quote you because I didn’t want you to think that what I wrote was just in response to that. I’ve seen lots of posters completely trash the idea(and weren’t joking). Like I said, anything the organization can think of to do to help him acclimate would be great!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Exactly. Even if it isn't a player, you bring someone off the ice that can help. You're talking about an 18 year old. As mature as Kakko is, he's still 18, and it always always helps to have an older guy that can help them with the ropes.

Basic things such as travel preparation, banking, making sure that they are eating well when away from the team.... I think the perspective of all of the off-ice needs and activities that an 18 year old would be susceptible to need to be taken into account a little more holistically.

Thankfully the Rangers are a little more grounded when it comes to that.

Reactions: Wakko4Kakko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad