Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part LII: The Kakko Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
this does not fit existing prefixes

Both because there are few retained salaries permitted [which are arguably better deployed elsewhere], and because of the cap hit on a buyout; plus the fact that Shat may rebound, I am inclined to not trade him.
This is besides the fact that the guy did us a favor, took less in both $ and term to be here, and put out effectively until he was injured, and then was rushed back by idiot AV.
Don't want others who take less to come here to get a bad taste over this.

So my ? is this...
We deal Deangelo, not to dump him, but sell high, repurpose his value.
That leaves Trouba, Fox and Shat
not counting any other add for this year,
Hajek can stopgap on his offside if nec due to injury.

Now next yr = final on his deal
we will have other options
but
what if he agrees to retire as a player and accepts a position as assistant D coach.
4 years at going ish rate.
actually showing up, not a no show job if actual coach not a consultant.

Remember, everything else aside, he has never been the same since his knee injury.

If such scenario takes place, can we have him off our books as an active player with zero consequence?

If yes, that would beat retaining or buyout hits. And the $ we pay for actual services as a legit coach/D development consultant would not impact our cap on players.

Is this a viable loophole in the circumstances?
Or was something overlooked?

Arguably the league can decide what it wants, presumably, but what is supposed to happen in this case. What rights does a club have to do this if it wishes?

thanks in advance.
I think that Shattenkirk is ready to end his playing career that quickly. I think he's incredibly movable one year and 9 days from now though, after his bonus is paid.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why does there need to be an exit plan?

He has one more season after this one.

Hi HM
sorry I almost missed yer post

As you see, I am suggesting we play him this yr reduced duty at 3rd pair, assuming he is adequately healed which we think is now the case.

That leaves us with options for next year.
But a non-playing employment role, if that is a basis for him to retire as a player without penalty to us, would be another option if it held up.

You see several people are calling for us to buy him out or take a hit one way or another to move him NOW.

He is not as much of a prob as Namest or Smith

just sayin, thanks for the civil ask.

Reactions: Machinehead

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think that Shattenkirk is ready to end his playing career that quickly. I think he's incredibly movable one year and 9 days from now though, after his bonus is paid.

I mostly agree.
I think like most athletes he'd prefer not to hang them up too quickly.
But I also think he truly does not want to hurt the team, so if he deteriorates he will exit.
The question is how to 'golden parachute' that without league rejection.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Well those people are wrong, so...

I agree with you, they ARE wrong.
But at the risk of getting crucified for coming up with an out of the box solution, I imagined this scenario is the best one to play him this yr, but set up for exit next yr unless miraculously he is back to peak form, which I don't expect.

Reactions: Machinehead

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Deangelo is not homegrown, we got him from 'yotes.
That's immaterial.
He's an asset, with value.
There are likely offers for him.
He is likely to be a sell high return now as an emerging RD
there is nothing wrong with pocketing assets and using this and cap space also on Buch and Namest to sign Panarin.
For me, ADA is homegrown because we got him young and turned him from an afterthought (by some) into a legit top 4 defenseman. We got ADA at 21. We got Fox at 21. But that wasn’t my main point when I said “homegrown.” The point was that he’s cost-controlled for many years, and depending on the contract he signs and how he develops, his value could be way higher in just a few months.

I mean, when was the last time a team traded away a young, cost-controlled, proven defenseman with major upside (although still a mystery), who can possibly still sign a good contract (think Gostisbehere)? Not only that, but his value probably isn’t as high as you think. Unless the return is crazy, I don’t do it. Besides, we are in a rebuild. You don’t do these kinds of things in a rebuild. ADA has arguably the highest upside out of all our young d-men, and he can be very good for us for a very long time.

Also, one or two years of rebuilding and people act like we should be going for the Cup. I would love Panarin, but time and time again we see teams get impatient and take shortcuts, which almost never work. I also don’t want to pay him Tavares money. Getting him for 7.5-8.5 mil a year is a different story, but he’s too young and not as proven to be getting 10-12 mil. And he’s a winger.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
While I'm perplexed by the priority on LD, they were for the most part value picks, taken well after they were projected. And there are some high ceilings on the boom/bust forwards taken late.

If they can use some trade currency on some 20-22 year old forwards (for the sake of argument, since trades for 18 yo picks didn't work out), then I really like where this is all headed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
While I'm perplexed by the priority on LD, they were for the most part value picks, taken well after they were projected. And there are some high ceilings on the boom/bust forwards taken late.

If they can use some trade currency on some 20-22 year old forwards (for the sake of argument, since trades for 18 yo picks didn't work out), then I really like where this is all headed.
I don't think they're prioritizing LD, that's just where they're seeing value available.

Reactions: Kendo

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yet again a million words to ask one question

It's ok to just type normally and not go out of your way to make something seem so smart
True. My problem is I’m terrible at articulating what I’m trying to say, so I tend to over-type instead of under-type. I also hate making grammatical/syntax mistakes.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Since the roster building thread is back up, I pose this question:

With bringing Shestyorkin, Rykov, and Kravtsov, is there a chance this team is in on acquiring Nikita Gusev's rights? I don't think there is a way that Vegas can sign him and stay under the cap while giving Karlsson a new contract.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

With bringing Shestyorkin, Rykov, and Kravtsov, is there a chance this team is in on acquiring Nikita Gusev's rights? I don't think there is a way that Vegas can sign him and stay under the cap while giving Karlsson a new contract.

I would quite like that, but he hasn't played an NHL game, so I wouldn't want a very lengthy deal. If Kreider is on his way out, Gusev would be a nice get on LW, where we otherwise have just Vesey, Lemmy, and Chytil/Andersson depending upon where you want them.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Yes there is. Probably entails taking Clarkson’s contract, which will be LTIR.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I am not so sure about that. Before Cally’s problems the talk about the cost for his last year was deemed to be a 1st. Look at the cost for Marleau.

It will be a tough season for Shatty if we keep him. The value of players like this — historically speaking — basically never goes up. I’ve heard it so many times, but it never happens. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can’t think of anyone at least.

Bite the bullet now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad