Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part LII: The Kakko Era Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
this does not fit existing prefixes

Both because there are few retained salaries permitted [which are arguably better deployed elsewhere], and because of the cap hit on a buyout; plus the fact that Shat may rebound, I am inclined to not trade him.
This is besides the fact that the guy did us a favor, took less in both $ and term to be here, and put out effectively until he was injured, and then was rushed back by idiot AV.
Don't want others who take less to come here to get a bad taste over this.

So my ? is this...
We deal Deangelo, not to dump him, but sell high, repurpose his value.
That leaves Trouba, Fox and Shat
not counting any other add for this year,
Hajek can stopgap on his offside if nec due to injury.

Now next yr = final on his deal
we will have other options
but
what if he agrees to retire as a player and accepts a position as assistant D coach.
4 years at going ish rate.
actually showing up, not a no show job if actual coach not a consultant.

Remember, everything else aside, he has never been the same since his knee injury.

If such scenario takes place, can we have him off our books as an active player with zero consequence?

If yes, that would beat retaining or buyout hits. And the $ we pay for actual services as a legit coach/D development consultant would not impact our cap on players.

Is this a viable loophole in the circumstances?
Or was something overlooked?

Arguably the league can decide what it wants, presumably, but what is supposed to happen in this case. What rights does a club have to do this if it wishes?

thanks in advance.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
“So my ? is this...
We deal DeAngelo”

Nope. His value isn’t crazy enough right now to warrant trading him, and even if we do get a good amount back for him, it’s possible he still develops into a top pairing defenseman. Homegrown. That’s rare. If we somehow give him a long term contract with a low AAV and he develops into a #2, he has more value than Trouba.

What I don’t understand is if GMs are dumb enough to trade a lot for Pionk, then how come we can’t find a trade partner for 50% retained Shattenkirk? I’m not asking for a lot. I would take a late round pick back for him. I expected at least a couple dumb GMs to offer a 2nd rounder or something though. Very weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
B622D3A9-1CE7-4BF8-9C4E-23CB5D883817.gif

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You might have to retitle this thread because my shat exit plan is fairly simple and definitely doable.

But the ? is not what is the fastest and simplest way, the ? is what is in the best interest of the team, and if possible, accommodate the player at the same time. And is there an alternate scenario that achieves that other than what I posted.

As I explained which you may have overlooked
[polite way of saying were wrong to ignore]
there are consequences to dealing him now requiring retaining or buy out hit.

Of course, if you have reinvented the wheel and figured out something other than what I said, pls enlighten us.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
“So my ? is this...
We deal DeAngelo”

Nope. His value isn’t crazy enough right now to warrant trading him, and even if we do get a good amount back for him, it’s possible he still develops into a top pairing defenseman. Homegrown. That’s rare. If we somehow give him a long term contract with a low AAV and he develops into a #2, he has more value than Trouba.

What I don’t understand is if GMs are dumb enough to trade a lot for Pionk, then how come we can’t find a trade partner for 50% retained Shattenkirk? I’m not asking for a lot. I would take a late round pick back for him. I expected at least a couple dumb GMs to offer a 2nd rounder or something though. Very weird.

Pionk was a virtual freebie throw in. He was not the value of the return, 20OA was.
And Trouba only came that cheap b'c NY is absorbing all risk this pt forward, a risk not = across the board since he would not have returned to Wini.

Deangelo is not homegrown, we got him from 'yotes.
That's immaterial.
He's an asset, with value.
There are likely offers for him.
He is likely to be a sell high return now as an emerging RD
there is nothing wrong with pocketing assets and using this and cap space also on Buch and Namest to sign Panarin.

We should be more considerate w/Shat given he got injured which is nobody's fault and was rushed back which is team's fault.
That aside, there is no good return for him now.
And it is not cost effective/desirable to pay to move him.

At some point, we may have compliance cap buyouts without the continued penalties.
If my suggestion is not legal, that is a fall back option, and we keep him to get there.
But if my suggestion is legal, we should consider it. Seriously.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lol @ ‘is it doable’ to a bern proposal

if it were not an obvious hypothetical, no reason to ask 'is it doable'.

also, I notice you did not volunteer an informed answer [explaining why].

Those who can, do
those who can't, teach [if they can manage that]
those who can't teach, teach gym

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zdeno Chara 4th line center. Please advise of doability.

don't forget to include CT that this was as part of a scheme to unload Girardi's longer term contract on Bruins, who needed RD at the time.

Don't mind being critical or the jibe at my expense, just be completely accurate, not out of context.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ok well we aren't trading DeAngelo, nobody cares if you dont like him. Terrible waste of my reading time.

WHY aren't we trading him?
I am indifferent here.
I hold no grudge vs the player as I do w/Namest, Smith.

I expect we could/should have boffo offers which are profitable to us.
Do you not think this is the case?
Or do you prefer to not even consider that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad