Proposal: Roster Building Thread Part IV: High Hopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I find many claims that we won't be able to stop goals unable to differentiate between "being strong defensively" and "keeping pucks out of the net" which are largely different entities.

Saying we will be worse defensively because Hank and Pavelec are question marks is a different story than our overall defensive ability will be worse.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
He who shall not be mentioned says we are now in on JVR. Would not be a bad thing accumulating a lot of players that are Rangers fans and would bleed True Blue.
So since ^=*"# said it - I guess that is now totally out of the question (no cap space anyways - unless Marc Staal + is the deal = fat chance).
For fun one could dream
Staal + Holden for JVR and Bozak + ????
That plus would likely be huge & just put big holes elsewhere.
Not viable
Unless we got some real nasty things on old Lou in one of Glens forgotten drawers...:naughty:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I find many claims that we won't be able to stop goals unable to differentiate between "being strong defensively" and "keeping pucks out of the net" which are largely different entities.

Saying we will be worse defensively because Hank and Pavelec are question marks is a different story than our overall defensive ability will be worse.

There's a lot of question marks with regards to keeping the puck out of the net. Last year we didn't do it well enough and if we don't improve this year, the team isn't going to have success. Improving the defense is great, but if it doesn't result in less goals against or a better team overall, it hardly matters. Time will tell.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
He who shall not be mentioned says we are now in on JVR. Would not be a bad thing accumulating a lot of players that are Rangers fans and would bleed True Blue.
So since ^=*"# said it - I guess that is now totally out of the question (no cap space anyways - unless Marc Staal + is the deal = fat chance).
For fun one could dream
Staal + Holden for JVR and Bozak + ????
That plus would likely be huge & just put big holes elsewhere.
Not viable
Unless we got some real nasty things on old Lou in one of Glens forgotten drawers...:naughty:

Whose name are we not mentioning? Brooks?

Staal, Holden, Graves, 1st for Bozak, JVR? :)

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What happens when the defence gets exposed more from not having a defensive player like Stepan.
You don't think they're going face a lot more pressure?

We're going from Girardi to Shattenkirk

We could lose all four of our centers and replace them with Andersson, Chytil, Nieves, and the Cracker Jack guy in 213 and it would be a net positive as far as facing pressure.

Girardi brought more pressure on his own zone than any player to play in this league since the lockout, and only now is everyone suddenly worried about pressure, and because we lost Stepan who was a marginal defensive player anyway.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I want JVR solely for the fact that he was a Ranger fan growing up

Being realistic however, don't see it happening (well maybe next year in FA but)

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I want JVR solely for the fact that he was a Ranger fan growing up

Being realistic however, don't see it happening (well maybe next year in FA but)

Rangers would definitely wait for free agency for someone like JVR. With Nash's money coming off the books, who knows ;)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's lot of question marks with regards to keeping the puck out of the net. Last year we didn't do it well enough and if we don't improve this year, the team isn't going to have success. Improving the defense is great, but if it doesn't result in less goals against or a better team overall, it hardly matters. Time will tell.

Girardi not being on a top pair will do wonders for ga ratio. Holden and Staal will only get minimal (if any) 2nd pair minutes plus a good chance of being pushed out of the lineup completely because of a superior talent behind them. McD will be the biggest beneficiary. Shattenkirk is good. Lundqvist is more likely to rebound from a down season instead of continuing to devolve. Significantly less pressure on the backup goalie spot.

Even from the forward perspective my main concern with Stepan was his play in the defensive zone that could be largely attributed to physical deterioration. Even without further moves I'm more comfortable with Ziba getting these assignments and minutes late in games when it matters the most.

The last two seasons the Rangers lost a lot of game in the 3rd period and with their play in the last minutes of a period. At very least we can expect that this statistic will be significantly improved.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
So if Boston trades for Duchene, let's assume they trade Carlo. They are down 2 defensemen from last year with Miller gone as well. Holden for Spooner would make sense. They wouldn't need another center with Bergeron, Kreijci, Duchene, Backes all as possible centers.

That is a deal I'd much prefer to Bozak.

It's a damn good idea. I think he and Bozak could wind up going for a similarly valued package. Gonna wind up being Holden + 2nd + Prospect/Other pick IMO. Maybe Spooner could be a tad cheaper. I also think he could be a bit cheaper of an acquisition for now/leading up to camp. In terms of Bozak, Lou could find a stop gap d-man for now and reassess come the deadline, when Bozak would go for a lot more.

On the flip side, even if they'd go for a similar package, there's still merit to preferring Bozak. He's certainly better than Spooner now. Mika-Bozak-Hayes-DD down the middle is pretty solid. Not amazing, but with our forward depth, I wholeheartedly believe that's a forward group that can contend. I'd think the same with Spooner too but in the interim it's less impressive IMO. That being said, my presumed slight variance in production between the two is negated by the onset of having Spooner under team control longer. Really don't see a scenario where we'd resign Bozak, with the possible exception of us trading Hayes.

I'm doubtful any more moves are happening. If something does happen, it will likely be out of nowhere.

I think all will be quiet until training camp is well-underway. Unless some dominoes fall between now and then, I think most teams are content going into the year with what they've got for now. Or at least content to wait until camp and see what's what.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
It looks like next year FA may be deep on wingers. E. Kane, JvR, Kovalchuk. Is Cam Atkinson Rangers fan? I think Shatty mentioned him in one of interviews after Rangers signed him. I remember Rangers were reportedly interested in him in 2016. Off course Rangers may not be on this but I like these players and really would not mind adding one of them.

Last edited:

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Yes, probably late in the regular season or a bit into the POs, unless he goes to the WCHs but I think that is unlikely.

Thank you. I think Lias could be really nice addition for the team for potential play-off run.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If CBus doesn't extend Atkinson, for some odd reason, I would definitely try to get him if I were the Rangers. He'd cost a bunch, for sure though. Will likely require some additional roster/cap movement.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If CBus doesn't extend Atkinson, for some odd reason, I would definitely try to get him if I were the Rangers. He'd cost a bunch, for sure though. Will likely require some additional roster/cap movement.

I know myself and several others were clamoring for him dating back a few years, even prior to our reported interest last year. Missed the boat on that one, would cost an arm and a leg now.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016

Maybe trading Zucc, getting some assets for him and then signing CA as a replacement would not be the worst idea. Mikos talked about something similar with Oshie this year. But I am not sure front office would entertain this.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm pretty skeptical that Cam Atkinson is going to repeat his goal scoring performance at this point...he's pretty small, 28 years old...he'll still be a good goal scorer but I think he had a bit of a lucky year

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
There's a lot of question marks with regards to keeping the puck out of the net. Last year we didn't do it well enough and if we don't improve this year, the team isn't going to have success. Improving the defense is great, but if it doesn't result in less goals against or a better team overall, it hardly matters. Time will tell.

We didn't just "improve the defense". It was a head to toes complete make over. The top 4 on this team should easily be a top 10 unit in the league. Going from the flaming garbage we used to have to that, is tremendous in itself.

Yeah, obviously this may not matter if Hank and Pavelec can't stop a beach ball. If they can't stop a beach ball we're not winning anything regardless. No team is winning anything where they can't stop goals.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We didn't just "improve the defense". It was a head to toes complete make over. The top 4 on this team should easily be a top 10 unit in the league. Going from the flaming garbage we used to have to that, is tremendous in itself.

Yeah, obviously this may not matter if Hank and Pavelec can't stop a beach ball. If they can't stop a beach ball we're not winning anything regardless. No team is winning anything where they can't stop goals.

God that would ****ing suck if we end up being like Hurricanes where we outplay the opponent but lose because of goaltending

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
God that would ****ing suck if we end up being like Hurricanes where we outplay the opponent but lose because of goaltending

IMO that's the dark horse team in the East. They have tremendous depth, but if any of their prospects take the next step, they will be dangerous.

Darling is a really good goalie, but 20 games of Ward will hurt them. Cam's fond of the laid back life style, so he hasn't been in shape for almost a 8 years.

That said, they have Wallmark and Fluery who could do very well in depth roles.

They are missing a top center, and if Tuevo becomes that Granlund like player on the third line, or Linholm takes a step forward, then you have a team that will be tough to beat.

They play the Babs system from DET and are good at it. A little small though, and that's where I think they can be vulnerable if a team gets physical with them.

That said, they are primed to contend the following year and for a few more seasons after.

Philly & NYI are taking steps back imo in the Metro. Devils are terrible. WSH will not be what they were either.

It's between PIT, CLB and NYR for the division crown. WSH 4th.

Rangers could use a guy like Jay Beagle badly.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
IMO that's the dark horse team in the East. They have tremendous depth, but if any of their prospects take the next step, they will be dangerous.

Darling is a really good goalie, but 20 games of Ward will hurt them. Cam's fond of the laid back life style, so he hasn't been in shape for almost a 8 years.

That said, they have Wallmark and Fluery who could do very well in depth roles.

They are missing a top center, and if Tuevo becomes that Granlund like player on the third line, or Linholm takes a step forward, then you have a team that will be tough to beat.

They play the Babs system from DET and are good at it. A little small though, and that's where I think they can be vulnerable if a team gets physical with them.

That said, they are primed to contend the following year and for a few more seasons after.

Philly & NYI are taking steps back imo in the Metro. Devils are terrible. WSH will not be what they were either.

It's between PIT, CLB and NYR for the division crown. WSH 4th.

Rangers could use a guy like Jay Beagle badly.

Idk I think we'll see them continue to progress with Aho, Lindholm, Rask, Skinner and co. Hanafin can become a huge x-factor for them, and they already had Slavin and Pesce breakout. Call me crazy, but I think they'll finish really close to us in the standings, maybe even higher

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think we can replace Stepan 5 on 5 and on the PP. But changes always means that it takes time to rebuild a part of a team. It's like when we lost Prust and then Boyle, not having a 4th really hurt us for a good part of a season. Depth is that important. Fast is out to start the year. Desharnais is new on the team. I would like to see us get more depth, preferably 2 guys that will push things. Or how high to we rank guys like Vinni Lettarie? Did anyone see him in HFD last season? Only 1 pt in 9 games, but HFD was a mess. Boo Nieves will help, he is legit depth. Don't see many others though. Can we get Kerfoot? He may or may not go to Vancouver, all I know is that those rumors definitely don't have to be trustworthy. Otherwise neither Hayes nor Vesey would have signed here.

I think we will play well next season. 100+ pts. I see the risks, wouldn't be shocked if we had a worse season. It's not what I would bet money on though.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Idk I think we'll see them continue to progress with Aho, Lindholm, Rask, Skinner and co. Hanafin can become a huge x-factor for them, and they already had Slavin and Pesce breakout. Call me crazy, but I think they'll finish really close to us in the standings, maybe even higher

I have to call you crazy. Will they be good? Yes. Wouldn't surprise me if they took a wildcard slot. They're just not developed enough to make that sort of jump. 2018-19 and onward they'll be dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad