Proposal: Roster Building Thread Part IV: High Hopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if the rangers get rid of staal.

be it by trade, buyout, launching him to the moon, pushing him through a black hole, locking him in the cupboard under the stairs, or making him disappear from existence through dark magic...i'd call this the best offseason a Rangers General Manager has ever had in the history of this organization.

We'd have addressed every weakness of last years team, gotten younger, more prospects, faster, taken away our moron head coaches favorite toys, and only created 1 weakness.and to me thats your 2nd or 3rd line center (i believe in Zib as your #1).

If he can trade Holden+ for a serviceable center JG = God

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

be it by trade, buyout, launching him to the moon, pushing him through a black hole, locking him in the cupboard under the stairs, or making him disappear from existence through dark magic...i'd call this the best offseason a Rangers General Manager has ever had in the history of this organization.

We'd have addressed every weakness of last years team, gotten younger, more prospects, faster, taken away our moron head coaches favorite toys, and only created 1 weakness.and to me thats your 2nd or 3rd line center (i believe in Zib as your #1).

Agreed. :wwitch:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Dark Magic launching him through a black hole located under the stairs with whiskers from Uncle Festers cat used as rocket fuel?

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Buying out Staal makes sense like Inferno said the toys that Vigneault likes and overuses need to go. But if they don't I expect Holden to be moved to accommodate either Pionk or DeAngelo

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Buying out Staal would be weird, to be honest, other than the idea that they just want to move on and I guess waiting another year doesn't get them that much? Just a lot of dead cap space caught up in 2 players.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
5-7 million for 4 years and 3 million for the next 3 is a lot of money to pay to have two defensemen not play for us anymore.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Does the chart need to get posted again so people can see why it's beneficial to do the buyout now?

I feel like it needs to be a pinned thread.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Buying out Staal would be weird, to be honest, other than the idea that they just want to move on and I guess waiting another year doesn't get them that much? Just a lot of dead cap space caught up in 2 players.

The other thing to consider if we buy out Staal, is the leadership overhaul/void. In the space of one off season, we would have gotten rid of 3 important voices and senior players in the locker room...
I know lot's of people scoff at the whole leadership/locker room "thing" and it's importance, but the success we've had the last number of years, was driven in large part because of the character players we've had (Callahan, Dubinsky, Richards, St.Louis, Stepan, G) and continue to have (Hank, McD, Staal, Zucc, Nash...).

I want Staal and his contract out as well, and certain that he'll be gone either this year or next, some way, some how, but we need to consider the locker room impact it would have on the team...I'm certain so is management.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers will have a ton of money committed to the Staal and Girardi buyouts. $4.7M. $5.7M. $6.7M. $5M. The next 4 years. The Rangers will need those entry level contracts to make things work. Any cap increase will go towards the buyout cap space.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The Rangers will have a ton of money committed to the Staal and Girardi buyouts. $4.7M. $5.7M. $6.7M. $5M. The next 4 years. The Rangers will need those entry level contracts to make things work. Any cap increase will go towards the buyout cap space.

definitely true..a ton of money..with that said..i think the rangers are frankly better without those guys on the roster, than with them. they are negative assets, and im willing to eat that huge salary to get them the hell off this team.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The other thing to consider if we buy out Staal, is the leadership overhaul/void. In the space of one off season, we would have gotten rid of 3 important voices and senior players in the locker room...
I know lot's of people scoff at the whole leadership/locker room "thing" and it's importance, but the success we've had the last number of years, was driven in large part because of the character players we've had (Callahan, Dubinsky, Richards, St.Louis, Stepan, G) and continue to have (Hank, McD, Staal, Zucc, Nash...).

I want Staal and his contract out as well, and certain that he'll be gone either this year or next, some way, some how, but we need to consider the locker room impact it would have on the team...I'm certain so is management.

Leaders come and go; rise and fall

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It's just too bad they can't find a taker for Staal with something retained.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does the chart need to get posted again so people can see why it's beneficial to do the buyout now?

I feel like it needs to be a pinned thread.

You can post it as many times as you like, but you won't convince me that a buyout is better than trading him, and until Gorton has exhausted every trade possibility, Staal shouldn't be bought out. We don't need the cap space this year.

The idea that he needs to be bought out to take away AV's "toys" is ludicrous. If Gorton believes there is a problem with how AV is using the players, and they can't reconcile their differences, Gorton should fire AV. It's as simple as that.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don't see how staal buyout makes sense.

Play him as your third pairing left D. If he bounces back trade him when his value is high.

If he's awful then buy him out next summer.

But doing it now is overkill imo. I'd rather deal Holden

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
u2Qso1Y.png

Buying *clapping emoji* out *clapping emoji* both *clapping emoji* now *clapping emoji* is *clapping emoji* not *clapping emoji* horrible *clapping emoji* on *clapping emoji* the *clapping emoji* cap *clapping emoji*

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Is that necessarily a bad thing though? It could be argued that this team has gotten a little complacent. I think the players and coaches have even said that before. Feels like they've gone into elimination games with the feeling of "no problem, we'll win" because they've done it in the past but it didn't work out so well the past couple of times.

Management has talked about the need to shake some things up, could be another part of that process.

The other thing is that you don't want to be paying a guy $5.7 mill per year to be veteran leadership and basically nothing else.

Beyond that, it's not like the Rangers are bereft of veteran players and leadership at this point. Still lots of guys who have been there and done that

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Good chart.

Really, if you figure you can replace Staal for the next 3 years with a player on a cheap ELC, there is no reason NOT to buy him out.

We look at the dead money and recoil in horror -- my gosh, how can we pay that much for a player not on the roster!! But the buyout number plus the ELC nets us less cap hit and a better player for the next four years than if we just kept Staal.

And who cares about the 1.4, or 1.3 million the last four years? That's peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad