Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVII: Lot’s of Fools in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'm not stressed about Quinn at this point. Every reasoning given is just media talk. Quinn has a lineup he prefers and players that he prefers and he's going to stick to his guns just like AV did for the final 3 months.

That's his right as coach. We can judge him a lot more directly based on the results if he's choosing to wins as the 3rd worst team in the metro over the developmental opportunities for Lafreniere, Kakko, Gauthier, and VK.

All this "He's making real good progress", "I liked his game recently", "He's coming along", and "Patience is the key to a player developing" is just bad poetry at this juncture.

The teaching coach has stopped prioritizing teaching. Quinn's been open about that lately. "It is what it is" has been said in different iterations a few times in the last 2 weeks.

The communication coach has only been communicating to his young players why you're on the 4th line Vitali after we said we'd put you in a position to succeed, why you're being moved away from Panarin-Strome even though you've played well Kaapo, and why sitting out is key to development Julien, and how you're going to get meaningful PP time Alexis even though that's not going to happen this year, and why your minutes aren't going to increase Filip, and how Lemieux can now pursue an NHL career with a different role in LA.

Management has to evaluate if a coach with instincts to play PDG, Blackwell, and Rooney over Gauthier, Lemieux, Lafreniere, Kakko, VK, and Chytil is the right coach even if we finish strong this year. If we end with a subpar record the for the final 18 games, then the decision should be simple.

Our coach next year needs to be able to bring out the best in Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, and Vitali. Past accomplishments and credits are worthless. Quinn has not been able to whisper to these players, barely communicate in my view. The results haven't been there for 3 years now. If Quinn is still here and things continue this way, then it'll be Gorton's head that's on the line next even if we fire Quinn mid season next year. This is Quinn's swan song and he'll dance to it the way he wants to.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For a guy like him who is unique and what the team needs more of, I'm surprised they aren't giving him more game time. He isn't 20, he's 23.

And this is where I circle back to my concerns about certain players on this roster being used as crutches for DQ.

It's not that they're playing bad, or even that they aren't worthy of being in the lineup. But it does become a slippery slope when you trying to balance getting a better read on what you might have with a player and the desire of (any coach) to go with the "safer" choice.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not stressed about Quinn at this point. Every reasoning given is just media talk. Quinn has a lineup he prefers and players that he prefers and he's going to stick to his guns just like AV did for the final 3 months.

That's his right as coach. We can judge him a lot more directly based on the results if he's choosing to wins as the 3rd worst team in the metro over the developmental opportunities for Lafreniere, Kakko, Gauthier, and VK.

All this "He's making real good progress", "I liked his game recently", "He's coming along", and "Patience is the key to a player developing" is just bad poetry at this juncture.

The teaching coach has stopped prioritizing teaching. Quinn's been open about that lately. "It is what it is" has been said in different iterations a few times in the last 2 weeks.

The communication coach has only been communicating to his young players why you're on the 4th line Vitali after we said we'd put you in a position to succeed, why you're being moved away from Panarin-Strome even though you've played well Kaapo, and why sitting out is key to development Julien, and how you're going to get meaningful PP time Alexis even though that's not going to happen this year, and why your minutes aren't going to increase Filip, and how Lemieux can now pursue an NHL career with a different role in LA.

Management has to evaluate if a coach with instincts to play PDG, Blackwell, and Rooney over Gauthier, Lemieux, Lafreniere, Kakko, VK, and Chytil is the right coach even if we finish strong this year. If we end with a subpar record the for the final 18 games, then the decision should be simple.

Our coach next year needs to be able to bring out the best in Kakko, Lafreniere, Chytil, and Vitali. Past accomplishments and credits are worthless. Quinn has not been able to whisper to these players, barely communicate in my view. The results haven't been there for 3 years now. If Quinn is still here and things continue this way, then it'll be Gorton's head that's on the line next even if we fire Quinn mid season next year. This is Quinn's swan song and he'll dance to it the way he wants to.

I hate to tell you this, but he probably isn't go anywhere to start next season. At least not at this point.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I hate to tell you this, but he probably isn't go anywhere to start next season. At least not at this point.
iu

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Am I the only one 'all-in' on trading Strome and/or Buch at the deadline for Centers? ( IF applicable )

Trading Strome @ 50% benefits.
#1) Chytil gets to play with Panarin, more speed on that line
#2) Laf, Kakko and/or Kravtsov can get PP1 time.
#3) makes room for Barron in the bottom6 because of #1
#4) IMO good chance to land a player like Krebs
#5) Will not hand out a Trouba like contract to Strome

Buch, is a nice player, I wouldn't mind re-upping and holding on to him until Kakko/Kravtsov grow a bit more. BUT if he gets a Newhook or Hollaway, I'll drive him out west

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would be very surprised if there’s any major trades made league wide at the deadline. Rentals sure but outside of that I doubt it

Can’t see the Rangers specifically moving guys like Buch or Strome until the summer after the expansion draft

Reactions: rangers1314 and Tob

Backstreets Back

Jul 1, 2019
Of course not. The Rangers org has always been more about the optics then just making the correct decision. Firing another coach in the span of a few years would make the front office look bad. Can't have that.

Reactions: ArPanet

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
“If applicable” being the key here. Can’t move Buch for scraps. Krebs, Lundell, Newhook YES. Wingers or lesser center prospects NO.
I see a player like Strome @ 50% can return that. He'd give a team 2 cup runs, @ 50% a measly 2.25M for a 2nd line/middle 6 centers. Can help a PP as well.

Buch would need to be re-signed, similar to a Mark Stone deal. If a team is desperate enough, it may work. I don't see it as likely. Maybe as a larger package in the offseason

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I see a player like Strome @ 50% can return that. He'd give a team 2 cup runs, @ 50% a measly 2.25M for a 2nd line/middle 6 centers. Can help a PP as well.

Buch would need to be re-signed, similar to a Mark Stone deal. If a team is desperate enough, it may work. I don't see it as likely. Maybe as a larger package in the offseason

Buch is RFA, Stone was UFA I believe.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Of course not. The Rangers org has always been more about the optics then just making the correct decision. Firing another coach in the span of a few years would make the front office look bad. Can't have that.

Keep in mind that Carp touched on this a week ago. What he touched pretty much holds true both within and outside the organization.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It has to be part of the leadership crew and a culture within the team...pack mentality .....look at us....do we have that out there ? LOL....not by a long shot unless a couple of guys are out there like Lindgren /Smith/Trouba and even Trouba is spotty at it . Guys get comfortable when they get to NY .....

Moving my response to roster building because it makes more sense here.

You could count the captains on one hand that I would describe as grit players. 9/10 captains are just the franchise player and I don't know what people expect. Actually, I do know what they expect. They expect Messier.

Our last captain to actually live up to the captaincy and perform well on and off the ice is also our last captain to be a franchise player -- Jaromir Jagr. This is why I would be absolutely fine giving it to Fox and being done with it. Right now, today, he's the best defenseman in the NHL. I think that's more important as far as handling the status and garnering respect than your style of play.

I think the problem is that the Rangers are absolutely in love with players who scamper around like rabid squirrels trying to hit everything. Glass, Vesey, Andersson, Howden, Lemieux, and even Callahan although he made it work.

We keep finding out that, in most cases, these aren't the players trying the hardest; they're the players skating the worst.

The great forecheckers the Rangers have had recently all had very good to all-world speed: Pouliot, Fast, Kreider, Hagelin. Even guys like Prust, Carcillo, and Dorsett could move at an above average level.

The problem is two-fold. 1) The Rangers are low-key a really slow team at this point and it's not being talked about a whole lot. They said Lafreniere and Kakko had average speed and it wouldn't be a problem but it is a problem when the whole team is slow as shit. 2) The Rangers continue to confuse sub-NHL skating ability for compete level.

Everyone seems to want more grit but you can't hit what you can't catch. It's an adage as old as sports itself.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't dislike Blackwell just as I didn't dislike Fast. They serve a purpose and play a role... Quinn is just doing Quinn things.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This organization is gonna be talking about the hole Jesper Fast left even after Jesper Fast is retired in 10 years.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This organization is gonna be talking about the hole Jesper Fast left even after Jesper Fast is retired in 10 years.
Because it's not the first time we let a player like that go, it sets us back every time, and we should have figured it out by now.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's so valuable and important that we only offered him Georgiev type money.

Luckily, we got Colin 'crazy eyes' Blackwell at a bargain.

Reactions: Tob

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I actually like Blackwell adding a bit of jam to the top 9 but I absolutely would have left Kakko alone.

If anything, try Blackwell on the first line. Late 18-19 is the last time KBZ was a good line.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think that's the Blackwell problem in a nutshell. Those type of guys quickly become crutches in these situations.

Say what you want about Fast, he was never eating up PP minutes while guys like Chytil, Gauthier, and Lafreniere sat on the bench.

That's on DQ. I don't think there's been a single forward drafted first overall to play less PP time in his rookie season.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad