Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVII: Lot’s of Fools in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Sellers maybe but it’s not a sellers market. I say Rangers stand pat or make small prospect level moves.
I think it is a sellers market if you're willing to eat cap. Strome @ 50% could have major value to a contender imo.

People do not have cap space. Or if they do have cap space, they do not have the actual funds/cash flow. I've been repeating this for a while, the market is depressed.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Gonna guess Smith 50% retained for a 5th rounder is our only move at the deadline. Would like to see them flip a D or Wing prospect for a C prospect but those deals aren’t the easiest to pull off.
Package DSP with him also at 50%, maybe they can get a 5th and 7th.

As far as the questions about real money, I think retained salary trades would only be for the money not paid out yet, and if I am reading this correctly it looks like Smith already was paid 2.85M of the 4.35M. So 1.5M left to pay out, each team would have to give like 750K. I think.

New York Rangers Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think it is a sellers market if you're willing to eat cap. Strome @ 50% could have major value to a contender imo.
While he's been a lot better the last 6 weeks, it's really doubtful. Still nothing special defensively and he's not a top 2 C for anyone but Vegas afaict.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gorton is working on options depending on how the next two weeks go but it would be easy to assume that Smith is moved either way. However with retention IMO Gorton will be able to get more than 5th.

Reactions: leetch99

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Gorton is working on options depending on how the next two weeks go but it would be easy to assume that Smith is moved either way. However with retention IMO Gorton will be able to get more than 5th.

With the logic of the Jackets GM in thinking Savard would get a #1 and an offensive center prospect, Smith should at least return a 2nd lol

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Lemieux, with some salary control and making < $2 million, got a 4th. How in the actual hell is Smith getting anything resembling that, even with half retained? Smith was a bust. He's with us as a 7D/13F because somehow he got a NTC from Gorton. He might not get a contract in this league next season.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Lemieux, with some salary control and making < $2 million, got a 4th. How in the actual hell is Smith getting anything resembling that, even with half retained? Smith was a bust. He's with us as a 7D/13F because somehow he got a NTC from Gorton. He might not get a contract in this league next season.

Yes he will.

He was very good for us when he got traded here. He then signed his contract extension and proceeded to take that summer off and get fat as shit. He never recovered from that.

He will however get a job someplace next season. Teams are always looking for cheap depth on D and he can provide that. He can also play either side.

Reactions: OrangePMD

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yes he will.

He was very good for us when he got traded here. He then signed his contract extension and proceeded to take that summer off and get fat as shit. He never recovered from that.

He will however get a job someplace next season. Teams are always looking for cheap depth on D and he can provide that. He can also play either side.
I honestly don't think he can play either side. I don't see any team seeing Smith as a better alternative to a younger player making league minimum and still demonstrating upside.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I honestly don't think he can play either side. I don't see any team seeing Smith as a better alternative to a younger player making league minimum and still demonstrating upside.

I never said "better alternative", I said depth. He will be a 6/7 somewhere in the NHL next season, no doubt in my mind.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Yes he will.

I don't always celebrate my contract extensions, but when I do I attend 8 weddings in the same off-season. :cheers:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island

You do realize Jack Johnson got a contract right? Anthony Bitetto? There will 100% be a 1 year, 750K-1.25M offer to Brendan Smith next year by some team, probably multiple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->