Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXV: Sell some now, buy some later

Status
Not open for further replies.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Things change drastically from season to season. Look at the change in our offense and defense. I don't expect to be cup favorites, if that's what you mean. If and when this team makes the playoffs, anything can happen. We have a lot of talent and Shesterkin.

I personally think our coaching is a major issue and proponent to a lot of the teams problems.

But if we're talking about being being what Tampa has been the past few years... I think we can be there in 2 years. Tampa's window opened the first full year Cooper arrived imo. They've been bounced in the First Round twice. Made the Conference Finals twice. Made the Stanley Cup finals twice. Missed the playoffs once, in the middle of it all. This may be the end of their 'window peak'.. It happens to every team with the cap.
Agreed with everything, except I think the stride will be in 3 years rather than 2. We must trending into the playoffs in the next two years though. Like, 2022-2023 we are in over CBJ, Pitt, and/or Mtl.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
idk about that. Players can come into their own in a year. If we’ve already conceded to Carolina two years down the road then why the heck did the team bother resigning a Kredier and why not ship out Buch soon? I’m not throwing in the towel two years from now.

I have no idea why they extended Kreider, or traded for Trouba, that is two first round picks that could been used to compliment all the other picks and prospects they had been gathering. Then again it just would not be the Rangers if they did not have at least two or three contracts they would rather not have.

If we really want to go pessimistic though, we all know that Detroit/Staal 2nd round pick will be used on the center in hindsight that the Rangers could have used, the pick they would not have had to used to remove Staal if they had cap space, like the space they used on 6 games worth of ADA.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Quinn should just watch the Canes play on repeat.
I watch both teams just about every game and the difference is enormous. Yes, the Canes are a bit more mature and stronger on the back end, but their compete level is off the charts. It seems like their forwards have so much more time and space than Ranger forwards. I would attribute some of that to their guys working really hard without the puck. Bottom line is I get really disgusted watching the Rangers after watching the Canes.
???
I don't think Quinn's model of what his ideal team is much different than the Canes. Part of the reason he was hired was he aligned with Gorts vision of a Boston style, 2 and 3 man forecheck, heavy-ish game, support and physicality. His first year was a very poor man's version of that, total caveman hockey, but it worked marginally because of how untalented the roster knew it was. They mostly executed it to the best of their ability. It was rare they got shellshocked, even if it wasn't rare they got owned by better teams.

Last year he bent pretty clearly and adjusted (as good coaches should!) to Panarin and Zibs having off the chart years and not trying to make a bunch of finesse guys grind. That's to his credit. Yes, the forwards carried the team in that manner, but he didn't try to force his way and style.

This year he's going back to that well because the roster is much the same... except Panarin's gone 10 games, Zibs is dead on his skates, Kreider has had a MUCH worse start, and goaltending is worse. So they look and play bad. This year he's showing WAY too much deference to his veteran leaders and best guys when they clearly don't have it. He's gonna sink because of that faith. And sink because he can't properly motivate them all game (this is not the same as them starting bad all the time, they are grown f***ing men who should have a little more pride and not take Ambien before games). But the effort level overall is a reflection of the players and the room, and not the coach. It's not the 1990s. Peeling the paint from the walls screaming is largely a thing of the past.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
As an aside, when people are making lines for next year that are practically identical but maybe add Kravstov and go "yeah this looks pretty good" I am f***ing boggled that Alzheimer's works this quickly. Because all the problems the forwards have will still be there next year because they are the same f***ing people. This teams needs a different and better mix and that's gonna involve trading some young skill. And trading more painful young skill than Ryan Strome.

Reactions: leetch99

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I have no idea why they extended Kreider, or traded for Trouba, that is two first round picks that could been used to compliment all the other picks and prospects they had been gathering. Then again it just would not be the Rangers if they did not have at least two or three contracts they would rather not have.

amazing, isn’t it? Committed to a rebuild and right on the brink of one last selloff and ahh . . . ahhh just can’t do it.

Reactions: leetch99

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's not about conceding, it's about reality and planning. Beating Carolina, even if it's on paper, would be an upset in the short term. It can happen! Car took years to get nice, and good for them. We will get there too. Until then, we can't worry about what they are doing.

Ok, move Strome there. Who do you want back?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
As an aside, when people are making lines for next year that are practically identical but maybe add Kravstov and go "yeah this looks pretty good" I am f***ing boggled that Alzheimer's works this quickly. Because all the problems the forwards have will still be there next year because they are the same f***ing people. This teams needs a different and better mix and that's gonna involve trading some young skill. And trading more painful young skill than Ryan Strome.

so we are going to just ignore the fact that chytil and panarin have missed basically half the year...mika having a bad year and the kids needing a minute to adjust and instead just write off all the lines aren't good enough? funny how no one was saying the lines weren't good enough when panarin was panarin and mika was scoring

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
so we are going to just ignore the fact that chytil and panarin have missed basically half the year...mika having a bad year and the kids needing a minute to adjust and instead just write off all the lines aren't good enough? funny how no one was saying the lines weren't good enough when panarin was panarin and mika was scoring
and a new coach...#binQuinn

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Necas! Lol ain't happening, but a young forward and a middling pick is fine.

well, there you go. I’m not helping them for an unnamed young forward or middling a pick in this up coming weak draft. Blank them

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
???
I don't think Quinn's model of what his ideal team is much different than the Canes. Part of the reason he was hired was he aligned with Gorts vision of a Boston style, 2 and 3 man forecheck, heavy-ish game, support and physicality. His first year was a very poor man's version of that, total caveman hockey, but it worked marginally because of how untalented the roster knew it was. They mostly executed it to the best of their ability. It was rare they got shellshocked, even if it wasn't rare they got owned by better teams.

Last year he bent pretty clearly and adjusted (as good coaches should!) to Panarin and Zibs having off the chart years and not trying to make a bunch of finesse guys grind. That's to his credit. Yes, the forwards carried the team in that manner, but he didn't try to force his way and style.

This year he's going back to that well because the roster is much the same... except Panarin's gone 10 games, Zibs is dead on his skates, Kreider has had a MUCH worse start, and goaltending is worse. So they look and play bad. This year he's showing WAY too much deference to his veteran leaders and best guys when they clearly don't have it. He's gonna sink because of that faith. And sink because he can't properly motivate them all game (this is not the same as them starting bad all the time, they are grown f***ing men who should have a little more pride and not take Ambien before games). But the effort level overall is a reflection of the players and the room, and not the coach. It's not the 1990s. Peeling the paint from the walls screaming is largely a thing of the past.

There really isn't anything any one organization is doing that is so different from another. While the Rangers have been underachieving this year, its just an excuse. Many teams have been in tough situations. So, why is it that some teams show up and others don't? Why is it that Brady Skjei is looking more like the guy we saw as a rookie under Rod? Why do the Ranger's look like they play at half speed most of the time? At some point, it's on the coach.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Our window to win is 2025-2026 ~ 2027-2028 with our projected age group we have if we keep the kids. Hold the line! We should still be trading for picks if we can't get young players back with entry level/low contracts. We can go and trade for Eichel if we want during the "win"dow if we need at some future TDL. By that time too, hopefully Wash, Bos, NYI , Phila, etc will be going through a full or small rebuild of their own to clear the way.

Zib and Strome won't be making that timeline but they might want to just wait until next year's TDL to dump them as a rental.
If this is true then there is a whole lot more that will be missing the timeline including the front office and coach, And if that happens who knows what happens to the roster so this is totally out of the realm. Also banking on other teams to fall off is poor thinking. Forget what the others are doing and concentrate on putting together a competitive team. They can start by putting a plan together to get some talent in the middle.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
???
I
This year he's going back to that well because the roster is much the same... except Panarin's gone 10 games, Zibs is dead on his skates, Kreider has had a MUCH worse start, and goaltending is worse. So they look and play bad. This year he's showing WAY too much deference to his veteran leaders and best guys when they clearly don't have it.
There is so much to bring up and yet another poster so infatuated with Kreider. Yeah his game has been inconsistent but he has had some games where he was dominant. Not sure you can say that about anyone else on the roster. You could have brought up 10 other guys like Howden who sucks and should not even be on the roster, Georgie who has been horrible, Trouba who has been bad, and so forth. Also the fact that out last 2 number ones have struggled. Please some balance once in a while.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There really isn't anything any one organization is doing that is so different from another. While the Rangers have been underachieving this year, its just an excuse. Many teams have been in tough situations. So, why is it that some teams show up and others don't? Why is it that Brady Skjei is looking more like the guy we saw as a rookie under Rod? Why do the Ranger's look like they play at half speed most of the time? At some point, it's on the coach.
IIRC, Brady Skjei had 39 points as a rookie, not...3 points.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

Well, I just had a "that's not a bad look without a ton of bad luck" posts, so I'll bite.

If Panarin has to take another leave of absence due to international intrigue,
If Mika's play this year is indicative of what the rest of his career will look like,
If Chytil misses half of a season again,
If Laf and KK both fail to take a step forward in growth,
If ALL of those problems are still problems next year because "they are the same fkn people," then I'll eat my hat and livestream it.

We need to improve our future core, but having hope that trotting out roughly the same top 9 next year (plus Kravtsov) should perform better than this year is not some gigantic leap of faith.

Exactly. I don't expect everything to click like it did in 2019-20, but everything can't possibly turn to mush like this year.

Reactions: kovazub94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
9.7% chance of making the playoffs...

I'm just saying... We've hit on worse odds before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad