Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXV: Sell some now, buy some later

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Same argument can be made for trading him, sell high. Though i don't know where i stand on it, he may prove to be too costly to resign

Depends what he could bring back. If it’s Lundell or Newhook, or maybe even either of those guys and a first, then I think you have to strongly consider it.

On the other hand I think Buch is way more worthy of extension than Kreider was last year: younger, more complete, less inconsistent, probably could get him long term for less money, and higher point projection.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Adding someone like Jarnkrok makes sense if the cost is not a draft pick or prospect. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to trading Gauthier for a young NHL-er that can step into the line up immediately. With how this coaching staff has (mis)managed Gauthier, I can't really be too upset if they trade him away and give the kid an honest shot elsewhere.

They haven't mismanaged Gauthier. What they are doing with him is no different than what they have done with other players. Remember all the tears when Buch was benched or moved down the lineup? Now he's one of our best players.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Same argument can be made for trading him, sell high. Though i don't know where i stand on it, he may prove to be too costly to resign
I feel the same way...sign or trade ? Who knows the right answer ? Might depend a lot on what Kravs shows for us moving forward . We have so many decisions that depend on another choice ...I don't envy JG's next few months .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They haven't mismanaged Gauthier. What they are doing with him is no different than what they have done with other players. Remember all the tears when Buch was benched or moved down the lineup? Now he's one of our best players.

Quinn himself said that he mismanaged Gauthier.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I don't know - I think I stay the course and let some of the kids develop before chasing a guy like Eichel or Barkov. Strome has met expectations and if we get the Zibanejad 2020 edition, or the guy that's been playing the last week, then I'm not doing much at the deadline. Get a late pick for Brendan Smith who can really help any team's depth, dangle Georgiev, get a box of Girl Scout cookies for DeAngelo, Blackwell, etc...

I let this team age a bit and take another look this summer.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't know - I think I stay the course and let some of the kids develop before chasing a guy like Eichel or Barkov. Strome has met expectations and if we get the Zibanejad 2020 edition, or the guy that's been playing the last week, then I'm not doing much at the deadline. Get a late pick for Brendan Smith who can really help any team's depth, dangle Georgiev, get a box of Girl Scout cookies for DeAngelo, Blackwell, etc...

I let this team age a bit and take another look this summer.
Barkov isn’t going to be available at the deadline anyway....

Eichel can be revisited in the offseason.

Strome and what he has done has nothing to do with the decision on either of those two. In fact, his value is creeping up and it would be a great time to cash in on that and sell. I would rather sell him than Buch. Collect assets that can possibly turned into an upgrade at 2C. Hold onto Buch since we are currently lacking on the right side until Kakko starts producing and/or Kravtsov proves himself.

Reactions: White Death 24

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Depends what he could bring back. If it’s Lundell or Newhook, or maybe even either of those guys and a first, then I think you have to strongly consider it.

On the other hand I think Buch is way more worthy of extension than Kreider was last year: younger, more complete, less inconsistent, probably could get him long term for less money, and higher point projection.

That is interesting. Panthers are well-situated for a playoff run. Would they trade Lundell for Buchnevich?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I really hope that when kravtsov is ready to play they insert him directly into blackwells spot. He’s been absolutely undeserving of that spot recently. Great find don’t get me wrong but he’s a 4th line winger

Reactions: RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did he? Can you provide the quote/clip?

I can't find it right now, but I am sure others remember him saying he wished he played Gauthier more and saying he was happy with Gauthier's progress.

The decision to scratch Gauthier early in the season made sense, but I just don't agree with how he has been handled the last 4-5 weeks.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
We have to sign Buch. He’s playing great.

I don’t see why not. They have space next year and after that they can figure out who to trade

ideally Chytil takes Strome over at 2 C and they let Strome walk or get a pick

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I can't find it right now, but I am sure others remember him saying he wished he played Gauthier more and saying he was happy with Gauthier's progress.

But that was in an individual game, right? That's very different than saying he has been mismanaged. Everyone's darling Knoblauch just said the same thing about Laf.

Gauthier doesn't play PP or PK, and he generally plays on the 3rd or 4th line, meaning he's getting less time by default. And as Knoblauch pointed out, defensive and offensive zone draws factor into it as well.

I like Gauthier. He has done some good things and I have seen an improvement in his game, but he is still learning. His game without the puck still needs work.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
A player like Gauthier needs the confidence to make mistakes and not be worried about being scratched for them

He plays scared 75% of the time and it shows. He gave voice to this during a post game interview last week

Reactions: bernmeister

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
For those discussing Gauthier, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lemieux scratched next game, Blackwell on the 4th line, and Gaut back in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad