Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Howden's game with the puck is in complete shambles right now. He has worse hands than an ECHL pugilist right now.

The only thing saving him from the waiver wire is they want to expose him for expansion. At this point I'd rather Goat, PDG, dress 7 dmen, and Smith at Forward over Howden.
There is no waiver wire after the trade deadline.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Howden is on this team next year or getting regular time on any line it's a joke with the talent this team has. Especially young talent. He does nothing. Ok I am sure he is a great guy and tries hard but he stinks man.
Unfortunately, if DQ is here next year it's gonna all or nothing with Howden. if DQ is here and Howden is here he is gonna play. Therefore, Howden has to exposed, traded, whatever.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We are going to have to pay a lot of guys and make decisions.

That is why you can't just say oh we're not ready to contend yet and just throw away this season

It's possible our team next year will be the most talented team we ice in this window
Maybe, but still very raw. JG still has his work cut out for him to make the decisions. He has the tools necessary just not has to make the right long term decisions for this team.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Howden's game with the puck is in complete shambles right now. He has worse hands than an ECHL pugilist right now.

The only thing saving him from the waiver wire is they want to expose him for expansion. At this point I'd rather Goat, PDG, dress 7 dmen, and Smith at Forward over Howden.

Smith has better puck control as a forward than Howden does. He has zero ability to control the puck, get a good shot off when someone like VK passes the puck to him. Heck at least in the past he could stand in front of the net and deflect a puck on net. Now he can't even do that. This coach much think he is as good as Patrice Bergeron in the defensive zone.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Small sample size of games, and Quinn puts Kravtsov on the Tour of All the Lines anyway, but I really like the Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov line lol. Basically we've had good fourth line play every game since VK came into the lineup, even with Handsome Brett in the mix

Reactions: Tob

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Small sample size of games, and Quinn puts Kravtsov on the Tour of All the Lines anyway, but I really like the Howden-Rooney-Kravtsov line lol. Basically we've had good fourth line play every game since VK came into the lineup, even with Handsome Brett in the mix

Yeah I'm not stressing Kravtsov bouncing around the lines because this is end-of-year hockey and literally any NHL experience he gets is good experience at this juncture. Similar to when Kreids joined us late.

If at the start of next season he's still on the 4th line, however, that's a problem.

Reactions: egelband

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Which in the short term is great news, and not many teams will have that amount of cap space right now, so we could even take a Marc Staal type trade for assets.

The problem is then the years after, where the cap is still flat, and you have Fox and Kakko needing extensions. Laf and Miller a season after that. An 8x7 deal for Fox cuts you down to 4 million. Zibanejad and Strome, if kept, will both get raises.

Long term, to keep all the kids, veterans will have to be jettisoned. Trouba and Kreider aren't moveable until 2024, well after these ELC's come up for extensions.

2 years from now who can we trade so that we have the money to extend Miller, Kakko, and Laf, even if they are all bridged? Georgiev can be gone, but that's a small amount. With a flat cap, it's gonna be difficult to trade even good value contracts like your Buch extension without having to take salary back.

2022 offseason is definitely much tighter than the one coming up. I expect that Buchnevich gets traded before he signs an extension, but depending what is returned for him could really change the outlook of the cap going forward. Between Buch, Strome, and Zibanejad, I expect 2 of the 3 to be gone starting the 22-23 season because of the reasons you listed. Its really hard to project what they will do the following summer considering we havent seen what they are doing this coming summer.

oImXXwL.png

They have a lot of good desirable pieces and that gives Gorton a ton of options as far as building the roster beyond next season. If they have to deal a young defenseman like Lindrgren K'andre or Lundkvist they have Schneider(RD) Robertson (LD) Z Jones(LD) there to take their places. Buchnevich would be replaced by Kakko and Kravtsov in the top6. LW we obviously have a logjam and C we of course are lacking system depth and this would be addressed in trade or UFA. If Laf Kakko and K'Andre all play well enough that they earn big extensions then I'd count that as a good problem to have and we wouldn't have too much trouble making space for them.

Or we could always just cheat like Tampa and put Kreider or Trouba on LTIR for the year.

Reactions: kovazub94

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
2022 offseason is definitely much tighter than the one coming up. I expect that Buchnevich gets traded before he signs an extension, but depending what is returned for him could really change the outlook of the cap going forward. Between Buch, Strome, and Zibanejad, I expect 2 of the 3 to be gone starting the 22-23 season because of the reasons you listed. Its really hard to project what they will do the following summer considering we havent seen what they are doing this coming summer.

oImXXwL.png

They have a lot of good desirable pieces and that gives Gorton a ton of options as far as building the roster beyond next season. If they have to deal a young defenseman like Lindrgren K'andre or Lundkvist they have Schneider(RD) Robertson (LD) Z Jones(LD) there to take their places. Buchnevich would be replaced by Kakko and Kravtsov in the top6. LW we obviously have a logjam and C we of course are lacking system depth and this would be addressed in trade or UFA. If Laf Kakko and K'Andre all play well enough that they earn big extensions then I'd count that as a good problem to have and we wouldn't have too much trouble making space for them.

Or we could always just cheat like Tampa and put Kreider or Trouba on LTIR for the year.

Kakko isn't getting anything close to 6 mil.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Kakko isn't getting anything close to 6 mil.

Probably not, but its a best case scenario estimate presuming his play and development contiues to grow next season and he signs a sweetheart 2nd deal a la MacKinnon, Barkov, Forsberg, Nylander, Gaudreau etc. Otherwise hes getting a 2-3 year bridge at ~3million

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Because of his neck injury, there was no chance of Eichel being traded before the recent deadline. What I did learn was that the LA Kings are one team that has had extensive talks with Buffalo to lay the groundwork for a possible deal this summer. While this has been rumored and reported elsewhere, what I was told the names flying around are “dizzying” and there are not a lot of “off-limits” players. No specific names to report (yet) but the Kings have a huge prospect pool and several good young players already in the NHL. If the Rangers are serious about Eichel (which I question) the Kings will be very stiff competition.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ll be blown away if the Rangers sign Buchnevich for 6x6 this summer

you can’t commit more long term money to a winger
Yeah. I’d expect him to get a bridge deal. Kick the can down the road. See where they are when RFA years have passed. Unless he wants to take a really team-friendly longer-term contract.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Because of his neck injury, there was no chance of Eichel being traded before the recent deadline. What I did learn was that the LA Kings are one team that has had extensive talks with Buffalo to lay the groundwork for a possible deal this summer. While this has been rumored and reported elsewhere, what I was told the names flying around are “dizzying” and there are not a lot of “off-limits” players. No specific names to report (yet) but the Kings have a huge prospect pool and several good young players already in the NHL. If the Rangers are serious about Eichel (which I question) the Kings will be very stiff competition.

Kings have the correct pieces to land Eichel. They can take a hit in their center depth with Byfield Turcotte Vilardi Kupari Madden. Especially if their top2 centers will be Eichel and Kopitar afterwards

No chance the rangers can match any of their offers.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Let the Kings have him.

If they want a center for the 'now'.... maybe we can show them better cost options... Like Strome :)

Strome for Turcotte? ( I haven't followed how he's been playing, last I remember people were 50/50 on him )

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

With our D depth and their need. And their center depth and our need.

NYR and LA should cut out the middle man, forget the guy who is a pain in the neck and ass, and deal with each other.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Makes a ton of sense. Have felt he would end up there from the beginning.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
You know if they just sit Howden and call up Barron that 4th line likely starts to score
In the Gorton Trade Deadline Presser, Jeff was asked about Morgan getting a look with the big club and Gorton inferred that not only Barron but other players might get a call up to play before season end.
Any guesses?
What about Ty Ronning? It would be great, only so many wings there now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kings have the correct pieces to land Eichel. They can take a hit in their center depth with Byfield Turcotte Vilardi Kupari Madden. Especially if their top2 centers will be Eichel and Kopitar afterwards

No chance the rangers can match any of their offers.

Well it depends, is Byfield warded off? Because of he is, I don't think this is true.

Just because a guy is a center doesn't necessarily mean they have more value. Like I'd take Heiskanen over Jack Hughes any day of the week.

Does Turcotte (who as a D+2 is putting up .5 PPG in a watered down AHL) have more value than Nils? Vilardi (who has his own extensive injury history) more than Chytil (who has been more productive with out the PP time and in 12 fewer games. They were both taken in the same draft year.)

I don't even really want Eichel, even less so post discectomy (which isn't a death sentence for an athlete necessarily, but this isn't like scoping a knee) but to me this rumor sounds like someone read the article on the Athletic from a few weeks ago and is trying to piece together something that doesn't really exist. Even if this info IS true (and I have every reason to doubt its validity) I don't think its a slam dunk that the Kings have more "valuable" pieces to move. They have more volume in terms of prospects, but thats really it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Well it depends, is Byfield warded off? Because of he is, I don't think this is true.

Just because a guy is a center doesn't necessarily mean they have more value. Like I'd take Heiskanen over Jack Hughes any day of the week.

Does Turcotte (who as a D+2 is putting up .5 PPG in a watered down AHL) have more value than Nils? Vilardi (who has his own extensive injury history) more than Chytil (who has been more productive with out the PP time and in 12 fewer games. They were both taken in the same draft year.)

I don't even really want Eichel, even less so post discectomy (which isn't a death sentence for an athlete necessarily, but this isn't like scoping a knee) but to me this rumor sounds like someone read the article on the Athletic from a few weeks ago and is trying to piece together something that doesn't really exist. Even if this info IS true (and I have every reason to doubt its validity) I don't think its a slam dunk that the Kings have more "valuable" pieces to move. They have more volume in terms of prospects, but thats really it.

They shouldn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. The Turcotte example especially...just checks all the boxes of how NHL GMs actually think. Turcotte is a center and has the pedigree edge so wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo prefers him as a headliner. At the same time, I would imagine LA sees what many of us do...that the shine is off his star a little bit. Therefore he is the perfect balance that gets a trade to actually clear. I'd wager that a deal around Turcotte will look like "O'Reilly 2.0" sooner rather than later but that doesn't mean Buffalo won't bite on it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In the Gorton Trade Deadline Presser, Jeff was asked about Morgan getting a look with the big club and Gorton inferred that not only Barron but other players might get a call up to play before season end.
Any guesses?
What about Ty Ronning? It would be great, only so many wings there now.

Carp mentioned Geersten.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad