Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
It's not very strategic to issue that statement and then call up a goon to fight Wilson, which Quinn implied. The team will get beat up for the hypocrisy.

Reactions: Tob

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The stupid way to fix this problem is to launch a squad of goons. The smart way is to go after the DoPS etc so the Wilson type freak shows get cleaned out of the league.

When the DoPS completely ignores the Panarin situation and equates squirting water on a player with umc wrestling and concussions they have no leg to stand on.

The US government got Al Capone on tax irregularities. They didn't start shooting up Chicago to get him.

If all options have been exhausted and gooning up is the only alternative then by all means. But then the Wilson/Parros knuckledraggers win.

Reactions: bernmeister

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The stupid way to fix this problem is to launch a squad of goons. The smart way is to go after the DoPS etc so the Wilson type freak shows get cleaned out of the league.

When the DoPS completely ignores the Panarin situation and equates squirting water on a player with umc wrestling and concussions they have no leg to stand on.

The US government got Al Capone on tax irregularities. They didn't start shooting up Chicago to get him.

If all options have been exhausted and gooning up is the only alternative then by all means. But then the Wilson/Parros knuckledraggers win.

Parros wants the rangers to call up a goon and fight it out. That’s the reason the rangers said he’s unfit for the job.

The best way to handle this is to go through warmups, and then refuse to play. Make it clear that the rangers believe that the nhl is no longer willing to consider player safety. this would potentially put the nhl in a massive bind with nbc who’s clearly looking for a bloodbath tonight, and the nhl may “owe” nbc a game.
make it clear that if the nhl won’t keep Wilson off the ice, the rangers won’t step on it with him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
No it wasn't. Ballsy yes, ridiculous no. What is ridiculous is the so called dept of player safety giving the 5 time suspended psycho a 5k fine for what he did. It just shows the NHL's incompetence knows no bounds. I've said it many times before. Great sport but horrible league.
Yet what possible outcome from this statement helps the Rangers?

It's nice some other fans of other teams like it, yet strategically it did nothing but poke a bee hive.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford

It's nice some other fans of other teams like it, yet strategically it did nothing but poke a bee hive.

If this triggers change at the DOPS, it helps the Rangers by taking dangerous players off the ice when they do stupid shit in the future, and doesn't let them continue to play and hurt people.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

My best guess is it’s a shot to the league. This franchise is an economic engine of the league. It publicly saying that it thinks DOPS is run poorly and is not fulfilling its purpose is a pretty big deal front office to front office. As a fan I honestly don’t love it, but I think it probabaly makes sense strategically. Panarin is a huge asset for this team and he was close to being very, very injured. I don’t love hypothetical comparisons either but if that were Crosby, McDavid, etc Wilson would not be playing tonight

Reactions: CLW

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Just read a story about the Flames and this issue. They are in a jam. Either a deal with Seattle or role the dice on Giordano. For one year, I’d be all over this.
I said that in here about 3 weeks ago....grab Gio at a cut rate . Only one season left in his deal ...bumps Miller down to last pair where he should be . Who knows....Gio might want to stay past the last year at a cut rate for a chance at a ring . Solid defender for sure and he does not have as many miles as most at his age .

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's not very strategic to issue that statement and then call up a goon to fight Wilson, which Quinn implied. The team will get beat up for the hypocrisy.
disagree, this is the team reacting to the lack of action by the league.

if they implied calling up a goon before the league ruling and then issued the statement then I would agree with you, but this is reaction to league inaction...

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
My best guess is it’s a shot to the league. This franchise is an economic engine of the league. It publicly saying that it thinks DOPS is run poorly and is not fulfilling its purpose is a pretty big deal front office to front office. As a fan I honestly don’t love it, but I think it probabaly makes sense strategically. Panarin is a huge asset for this team and he was close to being very, very injured. I don’t love hypothetical comparisons either but if that were Crosby, McDavid, etc Wilson would not be playing tonight

Yep, this move is political. The NYR is taking the issue out of the boardrooms and into the public eye. By highlighting the NHLs/DoPS double standards and hypocrisy they set the narrative for future events like this one. Next time that ape Wilson, or another knuckledragger, assaults another player, the NYR and the victim team(s) will get more more ammo for their case and it will keep building until the breaking point.

The NYR is not just any franchise. If it was say Arizona Bettman could do whatever he wanted, but the NYR is a big market corner stone franchise and disrespecting it openly would come at a cost, even to Bettman.

It doesn't take a galaxy brain to realize having a goon like Parros in charge of the DoPS is a political play. Parros came in and the big move was to instruct refs to clamp down on slashings to the hands... yet this clown completely ignores Wilson going apeshit banging players heads' against the ice, and several other situations where players were concussed. Now Parros tried to ignore Panarin being assaulted because he was afraid of suspending Wilson going into the playoffs, which he would have had to after fining him 5k for attacking Buch, a pathetic and cowardly move which justifies the Rangers' complaint.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
The anonymous NHL execs saying the Rangers statement is bad is laughable

let’s see these guys talk when a buffoon almost fatally injuries their Hart candidate

If something like this were to happen to McDavid or Matthews Canadian media would be looking to execute Tom Wilson at center ice prior to a game

Gary had to step in and do Parros job for him last time around with Wilson. Everyone knows the DoPS is a joke, the Rangers just put their voice to it.

I mean give me a break

The TSN coverage I've seen has been supportive of the NYR position.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Oh! I thought you were talking about tonight's game LOL

Man, I do not even want to watch. It's like actually watching a train crash into a mountain in real time. A train where Georgiev plays solid for 36 minutes and then has a total breakdown and Laf & Kak once again, shine and show why they were picked where they were picked.

A Kravstov goal or four would be nice. Hopefully more confidence for Miller but he's in the throes of the 'never played this much in his entire life' stage of an NHL season.

Predicting utter disaster with some upside pending on how the young studs play.

May something watch out for these boys tonight ...

:laugh:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I don't understand Gorton. He has all these skilled players including young players and almost no tough physical players to protect them. Then he trades away the only guy who would fight in Lemieux and does not trade for anybody. Instead of the likes of DiGiuseppe there should have been some tough player that can fight.
Agreed, DiGiuseppe is a waste of a roster spot. He provides nothing.

Reactions: Daves a mess

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Don't let the Tom Wilson's of the world goad you into making foolish moves in regards to toughness, hopefully they remember the 2010 Gaborik incident and the subsequent failure to reach for toughness.

That said, I really think there's no way we pass on Zach L'Hereux at #15 in the draft :D
There are many ways to acquire tough players without using first round picks on them. You just have to be smart about it.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I hope we sign a top 4 LD man in the offseason to shore up the defense.

Miller, robertson, jones can fight over the third spot as they all need seasoning in the AHL.

Then in would upgrade 4th line with some size and grit, but who can also PK.

finally iedplore trading one of zbad, buch to see if we can get a young C.

we dont really have to do much in the offseason. The youngins just need the experience to get better

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So many advanced stats fans hated Tanner Glass, but that guy was a solid clean enforcer that could play and skate.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Darren Dreger on TSN 690 radio, just said that he spoke to 2 NHL team executives and another management person and all 3 said that they believed the Rangers statement was ridiculous. That's 3 teams that are not on board with what the Rangers did and basically said that the team didn't have a way to respond on the ice, so they issue a statement to protect the team. NHL is a joke!

At the same time, they do have a point in that we should have responded on the ice and I honest doubt there is a another team in this league that would have completely failed to respond to something like this to the extent we did.

We are an ill-prepared and ill-managed team and everyone in the game knows that. This is what I wrote on Feb 28:
upload_2021-5-5_15-17-17.png

Everyone is our organization Quinn included at good guys. But there are issues that we don't get away from. It starts at the top. Everyone could tell that Gorton was uncomfortable when Slats retired. He had free reigns under Slats, and wants to do things his way. The right way. I like Gorton, but facts are that he doesn't pull everything of by himself. There are significant issues/blunders and they are not exactly rare and far inbetween. He has surrounded himself with "tools" in lack of a better word. Inexperienced ex players who has their first time job under Gorton. I am not a big Drury fan. John D has never been a coach or had an executive role in a front office.

I've mentioned Toronto in the past. Not because they are a model franchise in any way, but the contrast is striking. They bring in the top names available, Lou, Shanny, Babcock, and the brightest young minds in the hockey world to oversee their operations. On every account they are using the advantages they have in terms of resources to maximize objective grounds for them to be successful. More scouts, more coaches, better bigger names etc etc etc. We do the opposite almost.

Is there anyone in our FO that will object against a planned decision? Raise questions?

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad