Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
DeAngelo and Lias Andersson both did it to themselves crashing out of the organization (and DeAngelo would have been a redundant player here with Lundkvist, and Andersson was nowhere near ready to play in the NHL no matter what he thought) but yeah, I can imagine that on average a guy who wants to play on/slightly over the edge can be more difficult to manage than a guy who wants to play like the world's chillest bro.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Probably not. Get Lindholm and Lucic instead. Taking Lucic should lower Lindholm's trading price, and bring the team an element that is needed in the bottom 6.
Was thinking this too. But I think Lucic is pretty shot at this point. Too reactionary a move. Unless they feel he has more to offer than fisticuffs.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Maybe they can write a public letter to Lucic proclaiming their interest? Maybe just an open letter to any UFA, or team willing to trade those types of players? They can start off with, "The New York Rangers are willing to pay whatever it takes by trade or signing ..."

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
We did KAM a disservice playing against the top lines this year.. he is really soft and has sucked the last 10 games.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I can't believe KAM is not ready to be on an island and lead the team on defense..... /s

I have literally never seen a player recover and shutdown plays like KAM has... I have no clue what you guys are seeing or expecting from a 21 year old, raw kid. He's not perfect this season but his potential is astronomically absurd.

I haven't been this excited for a defenseman prospect since Fox.... but before Fox it's been a long time.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
duhmetre on the money today.

Miller is barely older than Jones. He was a wild card to even make the team out of camp, then all of a sudden he goes from ten minutes a night to full on second pairing responsibilities.

There’s a lot of upside there. If he had been in Hartford all year, no one would have anything negative to say

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lucic has been a pretty good 3rd line guy this year.
He has been pretty good but also on a Flames team that is pretty anemic up front (not a very good roster). I just don't wanna see guys jump over Laf/Kakko/Kravtsov not only in the top 9 but especially on the pp next year.

Reactions: leetch99

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
duhmetre on the money today.

Miller is barely older than Jones. He was a wild card to even make the team out of camp, then all of a sudden he goes from ten minutes a night to full on second pairing responsibilities.

There’s a lot of upside there. If he had been in Hartford all year, no one would have anything negative to say

I'm actually surprised there is a player on the team that he doesn't complain about.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Nic Deslauriers $1M on ANA. Can play, hit, wreak havoc, never quits, can chip in enough offense.

Jamie Oleksiak is a FA and averaging 20 min for Dallas. Can they get him to be a middle pairing guy next year? I would be down.

Reaves? Sexy name, but is he the same? $1.75M and on LTIR right now.

Barclay Goodrow doesn't drop em much but is a gritty winger that can add that winning element to a team that doesn't quite know what winning a Cup entails. Could really boost the bottom six over a guy like Di Guiseppe.

Just a few names of many. You don't need to sign all of them, but it would help to add a guy or two to an already young roster for next year. Can't keep icing the softest team in hockey when you have stars and young prospects coming up. Not smart by the front office.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Being harder to play against is a lot more than just adding a goon or two. One thing that struck me is that in the recent series against the Islanders (as well as the play in series vs. Carolina) is that they hit our smaller defensemen all night long. That's a very good strategy but it also means that your forwards have to step up their game. Robust backchecking and engagement can really neutralize that strategy.

The Rangers still need a lot of pieces and a lot more depth. I expect quite a bit of turnover in the bottom third of the roster this summer.

Fortunately they have the most important box of any rebuild checked. Elite Talent.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’ve been taking a look at potential depth signings. Here are a few UFAs I’d target.

Luke Glendening
Casey Cizikas
Tomas Nosek

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm not advocating for Jody Shelley to play 82 games a year, but it might be a good idea to have 2-3 guys in the AHL that can be called up just incase. Maybe a 13th forward or 7th defenseman that can throw them if necessary.

They shrank against Boston and NYI. Now they'll probably continue to shrink against Washington.

Yup, this is taking on new dimensions with the statement and all.

Next time it’s Laf landing a hit on a capital player and then being forced to fight Wilson and Chara and co because nobody will stand in for him. We have 50 contract spots, only play teams in our division, we have a bunch of players needing “protection” — and before Geertsen was brought in not one single guy that could drop the gloves with a heavy weight in the entire organization?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't understand Gorton. He has all these skilled players including young players and almost no tough physical players to protect them. Then he trades away the only guy who would fight in Lemieux and does not trade for anybody. Instead of the likes of DiGiuseppe there should have been some tough player that can fight.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Did I say send out Fox or Kravtsov or Kakko? Like can you be more out of touch and lame about this? They had 17 other skaters. Smith. Blackwell. Rooney. Thats what these guys are for. Even Gauthier. Go stick up for yourselves. Stop being so pathetic. You got bullied by the Islanders twice and then the Caps. Its unacceptable.

Go listen to what Rupp is saying on SiriusXM. Anyone can step up and respond. Its a team mentality. Go after Backstrom. Go after Carlson. Finish every check. Hit everything and everyone. Crash the net.

They coasted the rest of that game.

Great post.

You can’t prevent or deter Wilson and the likes.

But you need team toughness and your team needs a backbone. We have let that slide completely the last years. How could that have happened?? If you ask me two years ago if we should have let the team with all kids on it become a super weak team that never stand up for each other, let Panarin deal with Wilson himself without anyone stepping in, let Caps players stand in our crease mocking our goalie and team — I would have said of course not, can’t have that. Doing this rebuild, it is important to build a team identity. Etc Etc Etc Think many would have agreed. How did we get here? Who is in charge?

I started talking about this months ago, there is zero accountability for management.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Many love the reporters around this team. They are all buddy buddy and stumble over each other sucking up for management and the coach. This “Vince” guy and the likes.

As a fan of this team, I hate that. They let monumental issues slide right before their eyes and would never utter a word about it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What surprises me most is that Gorton was part of and for a short time the head of the Bruins Org that built a team that was gritty, stiff and very much willing to get involved physically. Top to bottom.

Its not about winning/losing fights as that is never easy to control.

What IS easy to control is your level of engagement, so long as that's part of your hockey DNA, which I think is the bigger issue here.

There is something missing with the large majority of our top guys and I don't what that matriculating to the younger guys.

The future of this team at forward is Lafreniere, Kakko, Chytil and Kravtsov.

I don't want them following the lead of Mika, Kreider and Strome.

Truly disappointed in JG here.

Talent is there, but while evaluating the skill, he forgot to check for a pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad