Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: MOAR sandpaper, guts & glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The hate for Kreider on this board is over the top. The problem with this team and has been for years is lack of skill at the center position. Listen we lost the Cup finals to the Kings a few years ago because they were far better than us in the middle and ironically that was probably the best set of centers we have had since. Sorry if you want to pick on somebody go after Zibs. You can't have a number 1 center playing like this for this long. After that Howden stinks. How many times last night did a freakin pass go off his stick. As for Strom if DQ thought he played well then its time for both of them to go together. The kids played well but will continue to be held back until we get some competent guys playing center... and this team will continue to struggle to score.

Horse shit x 100000

Our defense let us down in that series if anything. The centers pretty much cancelled each other out production wise. Girardi, Staal and Stralman all had a really tough series vs LA, particularly the first 2. I can get into a ton of other things that played a part (puck luck, terrible officiating, the Kings just ultimately being better than the Rangers were) but the C argument in this series has and always will be a f***ing pile of steaming bull shit. I mean if our Centers were good enough for this team to carry a lead in 4 of the 5 games and into the 3rd period 3 times, then they were probably good enough to close those games out. They didn't but it had nothing to do with the center ice position.

The issue with our current team isn't the center ice position. Mika is a problem but he would have been a problem if he was a winger too. Kreider has been mostly ass independent of Mika. Mika sucking isn't causing Kreider to "ole" the walls instead of sealing them with his body or to do fly bys instead of putting a body on someone (which was basically his entire night last night until he dumped McAvoy with a minute left(Which Princess Patrice took offense to. Seriously f*** that guy.) Point being, Kreider is responsible for his own ineffectiveness. That contract extension was stupid when it happened, it's going to be unforgivable really, really soon. It's okay if the fanbase got duped by hot PP and second half surge since we're far from the most objective eyes and our opinions don't really matter, but for the FO to bite this hard on the bait is worrisome.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
This year is a wash it looks like,but the development of the kids has been a bright spot. Kakko is looking stronger and more confident every game. This is the rebuild we thought we were getting in 2006 but Jagr and Hank happened.

Reactions: Captain Monglobster

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This year is a wash it looks like,but the development of the kids has been a bright spot. Kakko is looking stronger and more confident every game. This is the rebuild we thought we were getting in 2006 but Jagr and Hank happened.
Except now we have Lafreniere and Kakko instead of Dubinsky, Callahan, Tyutin, and Dom Moore.

Those guys had nice careers but I'm more excited about this long-term.

Kind of puts some perspective on it.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was encouraged from last night. Obviously, the defense played well, they gave up one. But I liked the effort and assertiveness away from the puck. They seemed decisive. The kids are showing more and more confidence. Great chances from the top 2 picks.

The results will come. Lafreniere and Kakko can't carry a team yet. The big boys have to step up and start pulling with everyone else.

I was critical of Quinn in the beginning but it seems like with some time the system is emerging, at least defensively. The kids are progressing. Maybe they finally got it, maybe Quinn adjusted his approach. But you can see things are clicking for Lafreniere, Kakko and Gauthier.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
The game started to become a man’s game and, listen, they have more men than we do. That’s just a fact,” said David Quinn, who probably could have used a little bit better phraseology there. “But I liked the way we stood up, we didn’t back down, we kept playing, and they get a goal we were not able to get.

This should boast morale

He should be fired so many reasons but to have your coach come out and say this publicly is enough for me.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't believe, in the year of our lord and savior Brian Leetch 2021, how many people have brought up Michael Del Zotto scoring in the last 24 hours.

If I drop dead, my corpse will care more about Del Zotto than I do right now.

Reactions: Cmox and Kendo

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Except now we have Lafreniere and Kakko instead of Dubinsky, Callahan, Tyutin, and Dom Moore.

Those guys had nice careers but I'm more excited about this long-term.

Kind of puts some perspective on it.

Oh absolutely, you're right! I was a little too young to fully appreciate the kids of the early 90s. So this is the most optimistic I have ever been as a Ranger fan.

Reactions: Machinehead

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
@Edge, @bobbop or @BBKers, can you please give us some hope that brighter days are ahead? A trade. A firing. An exorcism. Anything.
If this was a normal season, we would be getting close to Thanksgiving when you usually see the first round of trades and organization moves. Not being a normal season, I’m not sure what to expect. Possible some movement on the edges but nothing major. That will have to wait for the summer.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Another game where I counted the shots coming from the perimeter. Might have been 18-6 in favor of BOS when it came to slot shots. Analytically, this team feels like they are a little slow with the learning curve when it comes to the offensive zone. It's not that they don't know, but they aren't being smart about their shot placement. The numbers do not favor them at all. The way they are playing, 3 goals is a stretch. Even on the powerplay.

Move after you pass, move after you shoot. You also have a group that doesn't seem to know how to coordinate on a dump and chase to win a board battle. I think the coaching staff is limiting themselves if they are only watching the east. Sure it's less work, and probably an easier day at the office, but that can be corrected right?

Go look at the Wheeler Sheifele line and how they establish a forecheck. Foligno, Jenner. Barkov, Kopitar. If they are just analyzing their own failed plays on the iPad after each incompletion, then they aren't "learning". You learn by following what works. You can't have period after period of the same failed approach.

Have the video coach show tapes of competency, instead of the play these players just made. I think that will go a long way in progressing things, that should help some guys that are stuck in a cycle of remediation.

Hell make it easy on yourself, watch MTL. Just copy Claude. Do whatever he's doing and you are getting ahead. It's the breakouts, copy the breakouts. BOS's doing it. Pacioretty took that to Vegas. Vegas is doing it. MTL is doing it. Sweeney didn't change a ton other than play different guys and won a Jack Adams.

How do you think Tatar goes from the fringes to being an analytics star overnight on one of the best lines in hockey? How is Petry contending for the Norris this year?

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I have never been a Krieder basher on the boards. Always thought he is what he is, and one of the streaky players in pro sports.

Last night though in a fiery game, where Marchand and Ritchie are taking cheap shots at players, he has to do more than just run his mouth.

Hell, even Buch said enough last night and took one for the team while Krieder floated around the boards the entire game until :45 seconds left and hit Mcavoy on the penalty.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Unfortunately I still think Kreider got his nuts clipped when he came into the league. I'd rather see him take some bad penalties but be a major disrupter than being more reserved and underengaged. Dude came up in the wrong era :laugh:

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Another game where I counted the shots coming from the perimeter. Might have been 18-6 in favor of BOS when it came to slot shots. Analytically, this team feels like they are a little slow with the learning curve when it comes to the offensive zone. It's not that they don't know, but they aren't being smart about their shot placement. The numbers do not favor them at all. The way they are playing, 3 goals is a stretch. Even on the powerplay.

Move after you pass, move after you shoot. You also have a group that doesn't seem to know how to coordinate on a dump and chase to win a board battle. I think the coaching staff is limiting themselves if they are only watching the east. Sure it's less work, and probably an easier day at the office, but that can be corrected right?

Go look at the Wheeler Sheifele line and how they establish a forecheck. Foligno, Jenner. Barkov, Kopitar. If they are just analyzing their own failed plays on the iPad after each incompletion, then they aren't "learning". You learn by following what works. You can't have period after period of the same failed approach.

Have the video coach show tapes of competency, instead of the play these players just made. I think that will go a long way in progressing things, that should help some guys that are stuck in a cycle of remediation.

Hell make it easy on yourself, watch MTL. Just copy Claude. Do whatever he's doing and you are getting ahead. It's the breakouts, copy the breakouts. BOS's doing it. Pacioretty took that to Vegas. Vegas is doing it. MTL is doing it. Sweeney didn't change a ton other than play different guys and won a Jack Adams.

How do you think Tatar goes from the fringes to being an analytics star overnight on one of the best lines in hockey? How is Petry contending for the Norris this year?
All the things you are saying are things that should be imparted upon them by the coach and his staff. If that message is not getting through then they need to get someone in there who can impart that message and get it through.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Unfortunately I still think Kreider got his nuts clipped when he came into the league. I'd rather see him take some bad penalties but be a major disrupter than being more reserved and underengaged. Dude came up in the wrong era :laugh:
I think this is correct. Kreider seems like a legitimately good person, and I bet he really didn’t like being painted as a villain early in his career.

I’ve seen him lay off on so many opportunities to really physically damage someone in a legal way and he never follows thru. These plays always lead me to think that he’s laying off on purpose so as to not feed into that reputation.

Will be interesting to see him address this when his career is over.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
All the things you are saying are things that should be imparted upon them by the coach and his staff. If that message is not getting through then they need to get someone in there who can impart that message and get it through.

Yeah and I can't discredit the parts of the game that have improved, nor the effort in 2 out of the 3 zones on the ice. But yeah that's probably going to help, strategically speaking the rebuild is going very well and has gone right, but to get to that next step... I think you are right.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Might not be a popular opinion but honestly this lineup needs DeAngelo or someone of his skill set.

He was by far our most potent offensive dman and was a huge part of the success of our power play last season. It’s a shame things turned out the way they did.
No one wants to admit it because he’s so hated, but losing his production is immense. Quinn? Rookies? Maybe part of the problem is we lost a 24 yr old dman who put up 6o pts in 70 games.

I think the caps would have been pissed to lose a prime mike green too...

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was encouraged from last night. Obviously, the defense played well, they gave up one. But I liked the effort and assertiveness away from the puck. They seemed decisive. The kids are showing more and more confidence. Great chances from the top 2 picks.

The results will come. Lafreniere and Kakko can't carry a team yet. The big boys have to step up and start pulling with everyone else.

I was critical of Quinn in the beginning but it seems like with some time the system is emerging, at least defensively. The kids are progressing. Maybe they finally got it, maybe Quinn adjusted his approach. But you can see things are clicking for Lafreniere, Kakko and Gauthier.
Agreed with everything and I was super critical of Quinn before this week. Looks like we are very close and then if not this year, next year should be a leap forward. Send Strome to a new country and get a Center in.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I don't understand. We have a lot of kids, that's a fact. What's the outrage about?

Can you imagine Joe Judge making this statement about his team? How are you building confidence in your group by saying this?

How about saying Boston is a tough physical team and I'm proud of our response to it tonight and we'll keeping working on that aspect of our game.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't believe, in the year of our lord and savior Brian Leetch 2021, how many people have brought up Michael Del Zotto scoring in the last 24 hours.

If I drop dead, my corpse will care more about Del Zotto than I do right now.
Just when I thought you had no redemption......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad