Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXI - We are in The End Game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Again, this is not possible. For one thing, as I mentioned, waivers like you're talking about aren't an option in the off-season. For another, waivers like you're talking about are different from the waivers used when executing a buyout. There's no subterfuge to be had.
Welt....guess we won't be pulling the wool over anyone's eyes...:( Thanks for the clarification!!!:thumbu:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
We've spent 40+ pages over (according to the thread title) 61 iterations of this thread discussing what could or might happen, or what should or shouldn't happen.

The discussion of of why nothing has happened yet, which realistically is only a fraction of the thread (the rest being...what might or could happen), is taking place because everyone is getting antsy as some nebulous deadlines may or may not be approaching.

Really not sure what you're expecting to find being discussed in here, given where we're at with respect to said deadlines.

But why hasn't anything happened yet!? ;)

Reactions: nyr2k2

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
post-24030-Mark-Wahlberg-confused-gif-Img-Bi1v.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So pretty safe to say that right now the Rangers are negotiating with teams who want Shattenkirk but are hoping he hits the market and can be signed for free. Rangers are hoping a team blinks and makes a suitable offer to avoid the buyout. Otherwise there's no point in dragging it out this long.

I'm sure there are talks with other players involved (Kreider, Names, etc) but Trouba really seemed to signal the end of Shattenkirk in NY.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
sooooo no Smith, Namestnikov.......its Staal or Shatty or a trade lol..........gonna drag out

We were talking about this somewhere in the last couple of pages. This isn't entirely clear from just reading the CBA. It's still possible that the Rangers can request unconditional waivers for the purpose of a buyout for Smith and/or Namestnikov before 5pm and those requests will be processed at noon tomorrow.

We still have to wait.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The more I think about this, I'm actually pretty convinced that the request only has to be made... meaning that Smith and Namestnikov would still be options even if they weren't on waivers right now.

Here's my reasoning. If the Rangers decided they wanted to buyout Staal or Shattenkirk, we're all in agreement that they'd have until 5pm. In order to buy one of those guys out, due to their NMC, they have to give the player the choice between taking the buyout outright or going on waivers first. What if the player decides to try waivers first? Then you're in exactly the same situation as if you went with Smith or Namestnikov before 5pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad