Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXI - We are in The End Game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hope we can accomplish whatever we need to do without having to use multiple buyouts. Would love to do it without any buyouts.

It's not that I'm advocating dealing Kreider for a shit return, it's just that I'm excited about the rest of the guys we have here, don't want to add additional dead money for future seasons, and am ready to go. So I know it sounds dumb or shortsighted, but I don't even care that much what we get for him at this point. As long as we clear him from the books and get something mildly interesting back, I'll be okay with it.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I hope we can accomplish whatever we need to do without having to use multiple buyouts. Would love to do it without any buyouts.

It's not that I'm advocating dealing Kreider for a **** return, it's just that I'm excited about the rest of the guys we have here, don't want to add additional dead money for future seasons, and am ready to go. So I know it sounds dumb or shortsighted, but I don't even care that much what we get for him at this point. As long as we clear him from the books and get something mildly interesting back, I'll be okay with it.
I understand your POV, but dead space next year really doesn’t matter; only Georgiev, and potentially ADA and Lemieux need to be signed with $20MM+ of room to work with. The real question is how much dead space do you want on the books in years 3 and 4? Currently, we’re at $1MM; depending on the mix of which/how many of the three S contracts you eliminate, it can go as high as $5MM. And that’s assuming they don’t go away in the new CBA...

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Self renting Kreider would be the dumbest thing ever.
I'm talking about the hypothetical where they're like top-4 or top-5 in the conference at the deadline. At that point, you play to win the games. You don't beat yourself up about not being able to get the 27th overall pick from Anaheim. Do I think they'll be that good, of course not. But it's a weird roster with a lot of variance. I don't think the Metro is very strong this year either.

Reactions: RGY

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Larry with two articles in less than 24 hours about sacking Shattenkirk. He either knows something we don't or it's going to happen. I still think Buying out Smith and Namestnikov is a far better idea.

Unless they feel that Names is going to have a tremendous season and put up lots of points as a support player with Panarin. It's not worth the gamble in my opinion. At most he'll fetch a second as a rental.

Kreider isn't being self rented unless the Rangers have a year in them like 2011-12.

Buying out Shattenkirk also presents an RHD problem as no cushion if Fox struggles/TDA gets scratched for being a hot head/Trouba misses his usual 6-10 games due to his rough style. There's no RHD UFAs unless they want to bring back McQuaid/Girard(lol) or Lovejoy on an ATO. and see how they do in camp. It's either play someone on their offside, or sink/swim for Keane, give Raddyish/Crawley minutes. Doesn't make sense.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm talking about the hypothetical where they're like top-4 or top-5 in the conference at the deadline. At that point, you play to win the games. You don't beat yourself up about not being able to get the 27th overall pick from Anaheim. Do I think they'll be that good, of course not. But it's a weird roster with a lot of variance. I don't think the Metro is very strong this year either.
You cant always maximize every asset.

100% agree with this mindset. If the team is having a great year you dont sell pieces to hopefully be in the same spot next year or the following year. Take advantage of the situation.

The Islanders were having a great year and Sweet Lou decided to go with the group he had even though they desperately needed scoring. They might have gone on a longer run if they added a Mike Hoffman or someone else. Will they have the same success again? Will the East provide the same path with the teams around them getting better?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Really surprised Colorado isn't looking to add one more piece and make a big push. Unless they're saving all the cap for a goalie upgrade come playoff time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can’t rush this. I don’t think there is going to be a ton of trade movement in general until after the buyout window and arbitration. Yes this is a boring part of the summer for sports be we want action. Too bad. Deal with it.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Larry with two articles in less than 24 hours about sacking Shattenkirk. He either knows something we don't or it's going to happen. I still think Buying out Smith and Namestnikov is a far better idea.

Unless they feel that Names is going to have a tremendous season and put up lots of points as a support player with Panarin. It's not worth the gamble in my opinion. At most he'll fetch a second as a rental.

Kreider isn't being self rented unless the Rangers have a year in them like 2011-12.

Buying out Shattenkirk also presents an RHD problem as no cushion if Fox struggles/TDA gets scratched for being a hot head/Trouba misses his usual 6-10 games due to his rough style. There's no RHD UFAs unless they want to bring back McQuaid/Girard(lol) or Lovejoy on an ATO. and see how they do in camp. It's either play someone on their offside, or sink/swim for Keane, give Raddyish/Crawley minutes. Doesn't make sense.
I thought the second article was a reasoned response to all the flack he got over the first article. You (and I) may disagree but he does spell out his logic.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I get a good laugh that the internet basically bullied Brooks into writing this new article based on the previous

Cause you know otherwise he’d be sitting around. Felt like he hadn’t written a Ranger article in weeks prior to yesterday’s

Reactions: Rongomania

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'd rather trade Kreider now to not have to deal with the stress of a potential buyers market driving his value down at the deadline. But in addition to who is interested in him there is the question of what Gorton would prefer...a 1st round pick as the primarily return, or a quality prospect or young cost controlled player closer to contributing now.

Reactions: Rongomania

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
I'd rather trade Kreider now to not have to deal with the stress of a potential buyers market driving his value down at the deadline. But in addition to who is interested in him there is the question of what Gorton would prefer...a 1st round pick as the primarily return, or a quality prospect or young cost controlled player closer to contributing now.

I think it would be the opposite. Trading him at the dead line would maximize returns.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I thought the second article was a reasoned response to all the flack he got over the first article. You (and I) may disagree but he does spell out his logic.

It's just funny he had to do it so soon after as in he got so much heat from the first one he had to have a rebuttal like the morning after!

My argument to him again is where is the NHL experience coming from on the right side? Trouba is going to miss time. I'm not trying to be negative, he plays physical and will get a ton of minutes. If he plays between 70-75 games this year, that's wonderful. He's going to get banged up and miss a game here or there. After that it's Fox with a grand total of zero NHL games and TDA who because of his history is always going to have a shorter leash than the average NHLer. Shattenkirk will earn his keep this year. It's much better to have a kid like Gettiner on the 4th line play 6-8 minutes a night than keep Smith over Shatty because he's "versatile."

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Self renting Kreider would be the dumbest thing ever.

I very rarely come into this thread, because it always ends up being a circular discussion out of touch with reality.

And on that topic, I feel like you posted this exact sentence like a week ago? Either that or I'm stuck in some sort of Groundhog Day loop.

And I agree with you, or course. It would be ludicrous.

Reactions: Minmonster

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I very rarely come into this thread, because it always ends up being a circular discussion out of touch with reality.

And on that topic, I feel like you posted this exact sentence like a week ago? Either that or I'm stuck in some sort of Groundhog Day loop.

And I agree with you, or course. It would be ludicrous.

We've all pretty much been stuck in this Groundhog Day (or more like the Star Trek: The Next Generation Cause and Effect episode because we're aging) the last month. At least something WILL happen within the next few days so there's progress.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I understand your POV, but dead space next year really doesn’t matter; only Georgiev, and potentially ADA and Lemieux need to be signed with $20MM+ of room to work with. The real question is how much dead space do you want on the books in years 3 and 4? Currently, we’re at $1MM; depending on the mix of which/how many of the three S contracts you eliminate, it can go as high as $5MM. And that’s assuming they don’t go away in the new CBA...
Yeah, that's fair. I just don't like feeling restricted. I haven't looked at the whole picture, but if we do the Shattenkirk buyout, and then again have to give new contracts to ADA and Lemieux, plus one to Georgiev, would we then be tight again? I haven't particularly liked this "cap crunch" thing and it feels wrong given the generally young nature of the team, and I don't want to endure it again. I'd rather choke down as much as we can tolerate this year if it makes it better for future seasons. Next year is the year I think we can hopefully really compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille