Speculation: Roster Building Thread LIV: Free Agency Hasn't Even Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You're phenomenal at proving my point.
You have no 'point' because it changes every post.

'Cap hell' was what was being talked about. Tampa and Toronto were mentioned. You came in with 'How many championships'. Pittsburgh and Chicago have gone through the same things.

Reactions: Alluckks and RGY

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
The cap won't raise based on Seattle. The money that they pay to the league goes in the owners' pockets. It is not part of HRR.

The cap is expected to remain at or close to its current level for another 2 to 3 years to mitigate the need for escrow. The next big bump in the salary cap should come after the new TV deals are signed. Those deals will be done after the 2020-21 season. The money for those deals might be factored into the 2021-22 season, but possibly not until the 2022-23 season.

I could see us offering Panarin 9.5 x 7, but he could take the same deal in Florida and get more money due to the tax thing. Brooks reported that our offer could be 11 to 11.25 x 7. I would be surprised if we offered him that much. I think Gorton has a number in mind that he won't go over, and that number is under 11 mil. We'll see, I guess.

So you're looking at '23 as the earliest for any type of larger increase? I guess it could work, but that 11 mil is a whole lot of money.

I have to say though, having watched Panarin and being a fan of his since he broke into the league, he seems like the most likely candidate I've ever seen FA wise to not suffer from Rongoitis.

Always have considered him the truth.

9.5 lets do this.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Panarin is in a tier with Kucherov, Kane, Gaudreau, MacKinnon, Crosby, Matthews, Giroux etc when it comes to ES production.

Kucherov makes 9.5M and is coming off back to back 100P seasons.

Kane makes 10.5M and is coming off a 100P season.

Gaudreau makes 6.75M and is coming off a 99P season.

MacKinnon makes 6.3M and is coming off a 99P season.

Crosby makes 8.7M and is coming off a 100P season.

Giroux makes 8.275M and is coming off a 85P season (102P last season).

Panarin @12M, or 11M is just straight up stupid. He's not a 12M player for starters. Despite the space we have now, we'll have to do a lot of maneuvering to fit him in. Some of you guys can't resist temptation. He's a very good player but he's not in the same tier as most of the guys you mentioned above. But, he'll get paid more than all of them.

Look at MacKinnon and Gaudreau's contracts. That's what you want. Top end production at a bargain. I understand not every team is that lucky, but the point still remains.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kucherov makes 9.5M and is coming off back to back 100P seasons.

Kane makes 10.5M and is coming off a 100P season.

Gaudreau makes 6.75M and is coming off a 99P season.

MacKinnon makes 6.3M and is coming off a 99P season.

Crosby makes 8.7M and is coming off a 100P season.

Giroux makes 8.275M and is coming off a 85P season (102P last season).

Panarin @12M, or 11M is just straight up stupid. He's not a 12M player for starters. Despite the space we have now, we'll have to do a lot of maneuvering to fit him in. Some of you guys can't resist temptation. He's a very good player but he's not in the same tier as most of the guys you mentioned above. But, he'll get paid more than all of them.

Look at MacKinnon and Gaudreau's contracts. That's what you want. Top end production at a bargain. I understand not every team is that lucky, but the point still remains.
Kucherov would be the best comparison, as I've brought up before. All things considered 10.5-11M is fair value for Panarin in NY.

Players like MacKinnon and Gaudreau will make just as much, if not more money once they hit UFA. Those are contracts you look for in Kakko and Kravtsov....

Reactions: Rongomania

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Also overheard: "If you don't think Richards is on a different level than Gomez/Drury, then I can't help you."
We also signed Richards when he was 31 years old to a 9 year contract that would end when he’s 40. AP is 26 years old and the longest contract we can sign him to ends when he’s 34. It’s a much different scenario all together.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reactions: egelband

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
We also signed Richards when he was 31 years old to a 9 year contract that would end when he’s 40. AP is 26 years old and the longest contract we can sign him to ends when he’s 34. It’s a much different scenario all together.
He'll be 28 when the season starts.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Even if Panarin is on the same level as Gaborik or Nash, Jagr, Gretzky the Rangers had difficulty winning a Cup during those time periods.

Things have to fit together just right, the chances that a UFA who is 9-10 years older than the players they just drafted sharing a long prime together does not fill me with the sense that it would fit together just right.

Reactions: Kupo

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I don't see JG getting bent over. I feel he's very in tune with this build and knows where he has some wiggle room. I don't see him dishing out $12 million for anybody, that would not age well or look good to our young up and coming superstars.

I'd like to see some GM's in the league banding together and telling these agents and players to f*** right on off. Who wants a guy on your team who gets super overpaid and laughed at like a Lucic, Perry or Spezza? That will be Skinner as early as next year and Stone soon. Hell, even Tavares might not age well. Stupid contracts everywhere. Luckily the market will be vastly different in 3 years. Hopefully for the better.

dapowl

kaapo kakko.
Aug 22, 2017
Dresden
There are quite a few players in there I wouldn't give 12 million to.

And by that I mean all of them except McDavid (who makes more anyway), MacKinnon and maybe Barkov.

Elite 26-28y old UFA's are getting 14-15% of CAP McDavid is UFA in 6 years (28) and should get even more than that, so will some of the under 28 year olds on this list.

Also we should not talk in raw money rather than cap %

Reactions: duhmetreE

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kucherov would be the best comparison, as I've brought up before. All things considered 10.5-11M is fair value for Panarin in NY.

You think it's fair value for Panarin. That doesn't actually mean it's true. Don't assume your opinion is a fact. You've become so hellbent on Panarin that you've become oblivious to certain facts.

The Kucherov comparison isn't accurate either. He was the best player in the league last season. Panarin half assed it during the playoffs last season. He coasted. His lack of back checking led to goals against. His effort can be mediocre. Go on the Blue Jackets board and look at their GDT's.

You're not going to convince the Anti-Panarin crowd that signing him to the largest contract in our franchises history is a good investment.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
You think it's fair value for Panarin. That doesn't actually mean it's true. Don't assume your opinion is a fact. You've become so hellbent on Panarin that you've become oblivious to certain facts.

The Kucherov comparison isn't accurate either. He was the best player in the league last season. Panarin half assed it during the playoffs last season. He coasted. His lack of back checking led to goals against. His effort can be mediocre. Go on the Blue Jackets board and look at their GDT's.

You're not going to convince the Anti-Panarin crowd that signing him to the largest contract in our franchises history is a good investment.

I mean, he played 21 minutes a night, put up 11 points in 10 games, and had 58% Corsi. GDTs...are not the best judgment of how someone is actually performing.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I mean, he played 21 minutes a night, put up 11 points in 10 games, and I don’t have his playoff possession numbers on hand but if I recall they were positive. GDTs...are not the best judgment of how someone is actually performing.

It is if you didn’t watch the games, which some posters here clearly didn’t because they would acknowledge that fact about Panarin’s game.

Hell, I remember a blue jackets fan who came here and mentioned that as well.

For 10, 11 or 12m, I don’t want someone who coasts and neglects the defensive side of the game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Toronto signed Tavares going into year 3 of Matthews/Marners ELCs. Not equal to what a Panarin+Kakko+Kravtsov would be.
There will be a new CBA by then.
There will be a team in Seattle
There will be a new TV deal
There are so many unknowns, to be paralyzed by it, is playing not to lose.
Offering Panarin a responsible contract is smart, not timid. But overpaying players for long terms is suicide in a salary-capped world.

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad