Roster Building Thread IV (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That’s nice. And not at all how the world works. You don’t get to just choose your salary based off where you live. At least he doesn’t not yet. Hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t any negotiating rights. He’ll bury himself if he drags this out much longer.

It’s not nice and it is the way world works. He’s not helping himself nor has hurt anybody. This is negotiating and if he buries himself he’ll re-emerge elsewhere. The Rangers will look for 24/25 yr old to play his role. How much will that guy cost?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Guessing somebody is in his ear and calculated the cost of living. A raise in NY with taxes, etc is equal to lesser cash elsewhere. He might see the offered number as a wash and not enough.

He’s going to be a huge part of the team and a fan favorite is my guess. Tight spot.
ADA on a QO could live like a king playing for the Maine Mariners

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
They can wait for a trade all they want. But it sounds like one isn't coming despite Gorton's efforts and he said the rangers have room to sign both of them now anyway. I dont mind that it's taking so long I just dont want them missing training camp.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No, I get that. As I said, if both players were offered their QOs and nothing more it's not a sign of disrespect. But if both players are offered more than their QO, but both offered the same amount I would say it's disrespectful.

Lemieux has been almost exclusively a 4th liner in the NHL whereas DeAngelo was the 1B defenceman (to Skjei's 1A) in the latter half of the season.
Isn't that largely due to Lemieux playing most of his games for a deep, Stanley Cup contender, whereas DeAngelo played for our tire fire? I mean reverse their situations, Lemieux likely isn't on a fourth line all year and DeAngelo isn't on a top pairing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It’s not nice and it is the way world works. He’s not helping himself nor has hurt anybody. This is negotiating and if he buries himself he’ll re-emerge elsewhere. The Rangers will look for 24/25 yr old to play his role. How much will that guy cost?
Not for an RFA without arbitration rights. They're essentially at the mercy of the team, unless they want to leave the NHL.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Not for an RFA without arbitration rights. They're essentially at the mercy of the team, unless they want to leave the NHL.

I understand that and there is more to the post than one line. He’s not here and he knows the rules along with his agent.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
They can wait for a trade all they want. But it sounds like one isn't coming despite Gorton's efforts and he said the rangers have room to sign both of them now anyway. I dont mind that it's taking so long I just dont want them missing training camp.

Well, Gorton has to fix that. If he can’t sign both then he has to make room. It’s not these players fault the org can’t afford both b/c of the Marc Staal’s on the roster. Obviously the offers for Kreider aren’t too good either.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't remember the Rangers caving in a situation like this. They know they hold the leverage. There's enough young depth that a team who isn't even anticipated to be competing for anything can absolutely wait out these two guys. The Rangers have numbers in mind for these two and they're not going to move far off of them, IMO.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Unless they both sign their QOs, it would be a slap in the face of ADA to get the same contract as Lemieux.

Both players need to look at how our organization and realize we have no problem paying top dollar. Not only paying top dollar, but also doing the little things that second class organizations don't.

I think Brooklyn nailed it when he suggested:

they're both waiting to see if the Rangers can free up room to sign them to larger-AAV multi-year deals. If (when) no more space appears prior to camp, they'll both sign for what they can get (QO, maybe a few bucks higher) and play for better deals beginning next year.

These guys are playing with fire. Sign the contract. Play well. Earn your payday.

Reactions: egelband

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Both players need to look at how our organization and realize we have no problem paying top dollar. Not only paying top dollar, but also doing the little things that second class organizations don't.

I think Brooklyn nailed it when he suggested:

These guys are playing with fire. Sign the contract. Play well. Earn your payday.
Here's the one slight nuance where we disagree, though:

I don't think they're playing with fire; I think they're simply waiting as long as possible to keep their options open, on the off chance a trade does occur in time to clear more cap room for a multi-year deal. Then, if (once) it doesn't, they'll eventually sign for at or near their QOs just before camp opens. I could be wrong, but I'm 95% sure this isn't a big deal at all.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Gorton and the two agents weren't already in complete agreement already on both 1-year (the QO) and 2-year deals – and just waiting to see if there's any chance at all that they'll be able to go the 2-year route.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Well, Gorton has to fix that. If he can’t sign both then he has to make room. It’s not these players fault the org can’t afford both b/c of the Marc Staal’s on the roster. Obviously the offers for Kreider aren’t too good either.
No. No he does not have to fix anything. This is the way the CBA is set up. This is what the Players and Owners collectively bargained on. They don’t have leverage in this situation. Therefore they can sit there and hope something changes or they can sign their QOs, go play the season, and go to arbitration next offseason to battle for more money based on the merit of their play.

No need to continuously go after Staal. Every team has veterans making money. Every team has to navigate the cap. Part of being able to is by using the leverage the CBA has provided on this end of the spectrum. This is no different than past situations. These two are also no Mitch Marner or Rantanen or Tkachuk. Not even close.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
No. No he does not have to fix anything. This is the way the CBA is set up. This is what the Players and Owners collectively bargained on. They don’t have leverage in this situation. Therefore they can sit there and hope something changes or they can sign their QOs, go play the season, and go to arbitration next offseason to battle for more money based on the merit of their play.

No need to continuously go after Staal. Every team has veterans making money. Every team has to navigate the cap. Part of being able to is by using the leverage the CBA has provided on this end of the spectrum. This is no different than past situations. These two are also no Mitch Marner or Rantanen or Tkachuk. Not even close.

Lemieux’s camp knows the Rangers have a very, very young team with little protection for these kids. Add in his work on the boards, etc I think the Lemieux camp knows what they’re doing. The kid isn’t doing this on his own accord.

If he signs, it’s a mute discussion yet the discussion continues b/c despite the CBA, leverage, etc, b/c he’s not signed.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't remember the Rangers caving in a situation like this. They know they hold the leverage. There's enough young depth that a team who isn't even anticipated to be competing for anything can absolutely wait out these two guys. The Rangers have numbers in mind for these two and they're not going to move far off of them, IMO.

Not that they're in any way comparable but it also doesn't hurt establishing that rep now with these two players before they have to go through this again with potential big tickets like Kakko or Kravtsov.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I like ADA a lot. Beyond being a RFA, if there's a worry about committing long term to ADA, there is no one to blame besides ADA.

Reactions: RGY

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Lemmy is making a big mistake imo. His time here made him relevant again and we don’t “need” him. Plus, don’t think that a couple of 100k is the difference between him making a living playing hockey or going back to selling insurance in Manitoba. Maybe Daddy’s dough gives him a cushion.

ADA has more of a case from a positional and performance point of view. Still, he went from league head case persona non grata to having a hockey future largely because of some tough love and mentoring here, imo. I’d give him 1.2 as good faith and if he doesn’t take it we can cut bait since our window hasn’t fully started yet anyway.

No one is more important than the sweater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad